Confessions of a Climate Change Denier

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Belief in what? My statements have had nothing to do with "religion". It has nothing to do with some texas farmer praying for rain. Droughts are not an unusual happening. AGW "truthers" are as bad as "Christian" bible thumpers.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Find us just one fact that proves humans are causing global warming. If fact I'll make it even easier, just find any fact that the earth has warmed up in the last 5 years. NOTE: IPCC and wiki are not considered reliable sources.

I don't know what you'll accept as fact though. For example. I know the isotopic signature picked up by satellites clearly show that the extra CO2 in the atmosphere is from fossil fuels. I also know for fact that all scientific experiments with CO2 conclude it to act as a greenhouse gas. But the two facts together as a cause of climate change you will dismiss so I'm not sure what the point is.

Additionally, I'm not a scientist. I'm a soldier first, farmer second and business owner third. Trying to debate science when you're not a scientists is like watching two idiots debate auto troubleshooting who know nothing about mechanics. In other words, I know I don't know but I'm not so stupid as to ignore the assessments of those who do.

Yup, it has been confirmed. GFB has lost the small amount of brains he previously had.

and I have more "options" than you give credit for. It is you with the fatalistic outlook, not me.

I don't live in a manicured subdivision. The loss of biodiversity and the affects of climate change is very real to me.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Belief in what? My statements have had nothing to do with "religion". It has nothing to do with some texas farmer praying for rain. Droughts are not an unusual happening. AGW "truthers" are as bad as "Christian" bible thumpers.
It was just the flips side of what you said , belief isn't always about religion. Just the ostrich in the sand thing , works both ways

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It was just the flips side of what you said , belief isn't always about religion. Just the ostrich in the sand thing , works both ways

and when it comes to AGW truthers, we have the opposite. We have chicken littles running all over the place predicting the end of the world.

I don't live in a manicured subdivision. The loss of biodiversity and the affects of climate change is very real to me.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....... and since I do, and don't fawn all over truthers like yourself...... then I OBVIOUSLY don't have a fu cking clue.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
and when it comes to AGW truthers, we have the opposite. We have chicken littles running all over the place predicting the end of the world.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....... and since I do, and don't fawn all over truthers like yourself...... then I OBVIOUSLY don't have a fu cking clue.

if you might indulge a request, the label "AGW truther" is one I've only ever encountered here on this board. Can you provide a definition for it - thanks in advance.

I said I never have but I just want to clarify I am only referring to the CO2 heating up the earth argument. I don't believe it because I don't believe the theory has been proven particularly because the theory keeps changing as new data disproves it. If it was a sound theory, it wouldn't change so much.

I also do believe that the Earth's climate is changing as it always has. Just not man made.

what data has disproved the greenhouse effect to the point of your claimed "keeps changing" claim?

Seems to me we have more than your two options of status quo or death. Or do you believe Jesus will save us?

of course, it's a typical denier strawman play that you're responding to. Apparently, one can't entertain an assortment of emission reduction scenario alternatives and/or policy/technology driven stabilization strategies and/or roadmap solutions to divest degrees of fossil-fuel reliance... without a denier projecting an absolute worst-case outcome as the only alternative outcome.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Whether you believe in a higher power than yourself or don't believe that the climate is changed in any great degree by humans.....you are automatically labelled a "flat earther"
That, when scientist themselves define science itself as not being about absolute truth.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Climate always has and always will change sometimes it's subtle and sometimes it's drastic but none leads to long term doom and gloom.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Climate always has and always will change sometimes it's subtle and sometimes it's drastic but none leads to long term doom and gloom.
It's led to doom and gloom every 50-80 million years for over half a billion years. Maybe it's time. We're right in the middle of that range.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A long time ago I was a climate change denier.

The Spectator's Rod Liddle brings you the 10 most fatuous phrases used today in the English language, most of which are favourites of the Left:

Rod Liddle: The top 10 most fatuous phrases in the English language

I’m battling my demons, and at my most vulnerable, but I’ve still managed to bring you a column

356 Comments
Rod Liddle
1 November 2014
The Spectator

Philip Seymour Hoffman Photo: Getty

An apology. A few weeks back, in my blog, I promised a regular series called ‘Fatuous Phrase of the Week’. Like so many publicly uttered promises, this one has failed to materialise.

There has been no update to the Fatuous Phrase of the Week. This is because for the past two weeks I have been battling my demons — and horrible, vindictive little bastards they are too. While I would have been happy to fulfil that promise, and had plenty of phrases at the ready, the demons crowded around. Nah, they said, take the dog for a walk instead. Jabbering in my ear, poking me with their little pitchforks. Forget the phrase thing, they insisted. Instead try to get to 400,000 points on Bejewelled (Lightning mode): you can do it, Rod. You got 375,000 only a couple of days back. Put in that extra effort. You know it’s worth it. So I battled my demons, briefly, and then succumbed. Demons 1 Readers 0. This article, therefore, is an attempt to put matters right.

Below are a bunch of the clichés, lies, evasions, obfuscations, PC euphemisms and disingenuous balls words and phrases which, in recent years, have annoyed me the most. There are countless others, but these are the ones which for one reason or other stick in my craw. And of course we begin with:

1. Battling my demons

It was demons who held down that actress/pop singer/reality TV star and rammed four kilos of charlie up her left nostril leaving her with the IQ of an aspidistra and, alas, sans septum. It was demons who injected Philip Seymour Hoffman with skag. The same creatures regularly waylay the former footballer Paul Gascoigne and siphon several litres of vodka down his throat. And it was demons, a whole bunch of them, who grappled with Brooks Newmark’s p enis and ensured it was transmitted digitally to the fictitious woman of his choice. This was my original Fatuous Phrase of the Week, an utterly ubiquitous cliché which serves only to absolve people from responsibility.

2. Vulnerable

It’s official — the most abused word in the English language these days. Today, as used by the whining liberal left, it means anyone who isn’t an able-bodied middle-aged white heterosexual male in full possession of his mental faculties. In other words, about 70 per cent of the population. It is frequently used as a euphemism for educationally retarded, or what we used to call ‘backward’; when you hear on the news that someone was ‘vulnerable’, you have to work out for yourself why. It’s not usually hard.

3. Diversity

Something brilliant, to be championed. We all love diversity, don’t we? As used by the left it means ‘lots of ethnic minorities’. Quite often it is deployed to mean precisely the opposite of its original meaning. As in ‘the area is very diverse’, referring to a place populated exclusively by Bangladeshis.

4. Denier

A horrible and recent confection of, again, the liberal left. You can be a ‘climate change denier’, which means you might doubt that global warming will cause quite the catastrophic circumstances — annihilation of all living creatures, earth burned to a crust, polar bears howling in agony — dreamed up by the maddest, gibbering eco-warriors. You can be a ‘sexual abuse denier’, which means you have one or two doubts about Operation Yewtree. The term was appropriated from the Holocaust, of course: the implication being that to deny that absolutely all 1970s celebrities were busy molesting kiddies is on a par with denying that Nazi Germany murdered six million Jewish people. Nice.

5. Classic

I bought some lavatory paper the other day which was described as having a ‘classic design’. It wasn’t papyrus, just the same design the firm has been peddling for 20 years. Has a word ever been wiped on so many bottoms as ‘classic’? Debased is an understatement.

6. Wrong side of history

If someone says you’re on the wrong side of history, it is their smug and stupid way of telling you that you are wrong and they are right, no more. Conservatism is always on the wrong side of history because it is innately opposed to profound social change. Social change is always good, you see, even when it is utterly calamitous or pointless or unnecessary.

7. Bravely fighting cancer

An odious phrase, patronising and meaningless. All people with cancer are bravely fighting the vile disease. All people with cancer who have decided not to fight it, but instead to acquiesce, are also brave — perhaps even more brave. In truth, ‘bravery’ and ‘fighting’ have nothing to do with it.

8. Let me absolutely clear about this, Evan…

Any politician who tells you that he is about to be absolutely clear about anything is actually about to lie to you and probably steal your spoons. It also suggests to me that they are anything but clear in their own minds as to what the hell they are talking about, especially if they say it with great emphasis while banging their fists on the table. As used by Ed Miliband on a daily basis, probably to his family about what he’s having for breakfast, as well as to the rest of us about other stuff.

9. Vibrant

Used as a synonym for ‘noisy’ or ‘thieving’. Almost always used in conjunction with ‘diverse’ (qv) and also…

10. Community

Yes, Huw, it’s a vibrant and diverse community, but it’s also a very vulnerable community, which is why the police have been brought in to stop angry local people attacking them. I think we can say, Huw, that the angry local people are on the wrong side of history.

That’s enough vapid idiocies for now. One of these days I’ll gather up a bunch of other phrases which are deliberately misleading, obnoxious or disingenuous. If my demons let me. Right now they’re waving a bottle of Sancerre in my face and sn iggering. Don’t they know how vulnerable I am?

This article first appeared in the print edition of The Spectator magazine, dated 1 November 2014

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You have a warped sense of humour. I like that.
All I'm saying is that the evidence shows cyclic mass extermination events. We don't know the cause, except for the most recent one, and have no idea if it's the same cause every time, or what. If seemingly random events start showing a pattern, it's a pretty good indication that they aren't random, you just haven't found the underlying cause yet.