Chrisy Clark resigns as BC Liberal leader

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Former premier Christy Clark is stepping down as leader of the B.C. Liberal Party effective Aug. 4, and is leaving politics.

"Serving as premier and serving the people of British Columbia for the past six and a half years has been an incredible honour and privilege," Clark said in a statement. "I am so proud of everything our B.C. Liberal team has accomplished.

"I am certain that British Columbia's best days lie ahead. Because British Columbians can, through hard work, determination, and perseverance, achieve anything they set their minds to."

Clark's Liberals governed B.C. for 5,869 days — one of the longest political dynasties in the province's history.

She first headed a majority B.C. Liberal government after leading her party to a stunning come-from-behind victory in B.C.'s 40th provincial election in 2013.

The 2017 election provided a split legislature that ended Clark's run as premier — and 16 years of Liberal leadership in B.C.

Christy Clark resigns as leader of B.C. Liberal Party - British Columbia - CBC News

*Christy

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Chrispy has a fat bank account to retire on from selling out the province to the lowest bidder. All I would have to say to her is, "Karma is a bitch if you are, my dear."

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It should be pointed out that Clark is also resigning as MLA. Which means until a by-election is held, the BC Liberals have one less seat in the legislature, giving the NDP and the Greens a little more breathing room.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Dianne Watts has been floated as a possible successor. Right now it's pure speculation but she might be a good choice for the Liberals. Watts is a popular former mayor of Surrey, which is the second largest city in BC (nearly as big as Vancouver), it's always adding constituencies and is an electoral battleground. She left municipal politics and was elected as a federal Conservative MP in 2015. She was expected to be fast tracked in federal politics, but the Conservatives lost that election and now she's spinning her wheels.

There are other possible candidates, but for the BC Liberals electoral chances, I'd say Dianne Watts is the smart pick.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Christy will be missed but all politicians have a best before date.
Dianne Would be a good choice. Never met he but from what I have seen in the media she comes across as smart and articulate. Most of the old guard is just that. Been around too long. Hopefully the party doesn't drift any farther left just to buy votes.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Chrispy has a fat bank account to retire on from selling out the province to the lowest bidder. All I would have to say to her is, "Karma is a bitch if you are, my dear."
And a Pension only Politicians deserve........

She will be collecting about $100,000 dollars a year initially, and that will be indexed to inflation. Totalling we think about a grand total of $1.7 million by age 80,” said Scott Hennig.

He said the new government should revise MLA pension plans introduced 10 years ago by the BC Liberals.

“I think it would be a great idea for the new NDP-Green coalition government here to review these MLA pensions, bring them back in line with what’s sort of the expectation now in the private sector. And certainly also at the very least have a look at reining them back into the level that even just government employees are getting.”

Christy Clark to walk-away with hefty pension: Canadian Taxpayers Federation | Globalnews.ca