CCRF, Sections 29 and 16 to 23, tyranny of the majority?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not all kids taught in schools receive the education needed.

so how is home schooling any worse?

How many have the dedication of your wife and yourself, the financial resources, the requirement to become self schooled in some or many areas of knowledge.
Yes both have problems
The no fail in schools is a crock
The no zero by an Edmonton teacher brought this issue forward.
But both sides have a vested interest.
And I am not partial to vested interests as they often lose sight of the child's interests in this case. As I mentioned a political hot potato, and children do not vote.

I would bet a dollar to a doughnut you would be aware of those that did not home school according to what was needed for the child.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I have no issue with home schooling in principle for those who choose that route.

Ya, you just have issues with Catholic schools. Bigot.

How many have the dedication of your wife and yourself, the financial resources, the requirement to become self schooled in some or many areas of knowledge.
Yes both have problems
The no fail in schools is a crock
The no zero by an Edmonton teacher brought this issue forward.
But both sides have a vested interest.
And I am not partial to vested interests as they often lose sight of the child's interests in this case. As I mentioned a political hot potato, and children do not vote.

I would bet a dollar to a doughnut you would be aware of those that did not home school according to what was needed for the child.

I asked how home schooling is any worse. Obviously it is not as both methods have their potential problems.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I asked how home schooling is any worse. Obviously it is not as both methods have their potential problems.

Yes they both do. And Politicians are - will not confront the issues in the Public or the Home Schooling areas.
And the student pays the price.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
actually, in Alberta, the check box is for funding. I am sure it is the same in Ontario.
It is, on my first tax bill when I purchased my house, I had to choose which school board I supported,
If I were to change my mind I would have to go to city hall to do it.
And as you can see, the Mil rate is about one tenth the total municipal taxes, which I would guess is the same rate as the over all provincial subsidy to the chosen school board.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I have no issue with Catholic schools per se. My issue is with the Constitution granting a right to one religious community and not others. How hard is it to understand the concept of what applies to one should apply to all?

It is, on my first tax bill when I purchased my house, I had to choose which school board I supported,
And as you can see, the Mil rate is about one tenth the total municipal taxes, which I would guess is the same rate as the over all provincial subsidy to the chosen school board.

My point exactly. It's not a portion specifically to any school but just to education. It says it right on there.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

My point exactly. It's not a portion specifically to any school but just to education. It says it right on there.

You have a comprehension problem, don't you.

or is it a matter of you choosing to ignore that which does not fit your bias.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have no issue with Catholic schools per se. My issue is with the Constitution granting a right to one religious community and not others. How hard is it to understand the concept of what applies to one should apply to all?

These rights were guaranteed at a time when they were needed to protect minorities, either Roman Catholic or Protestant in areas of the country.
They were guaranteed for a reason.
Those were the 2 major Religions of the French/English settlers.

But this is the perennial knot in your stomach.
As I mentioned, education is a Provincial area under the Constitution. If you wish to effect change, it has to be done at the Provincial level.
Then after the Prov has taken the appropriate measures, laws, referendums and such. It then goes to the Feds to approve and amend.
But that Prov best have conducted a fair referendum, or the Feds will turn them away.

The Collapse of Denominational Education: Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage
On 5 September 1995, the province held a referendum in which the majority of voters (54.4 per cent) supported amending Term 17 to create a single inter-denominational education system that would encompass all denominational systems. The federal government approved the revised Term 17 on 4 December 1996 and the province passed legislation later that month re-designating denominational schools as inter-denominational.

During the summer of 1997, however, the Roman Catholic Church, Pentecostal Assemblies, and 29 parents successfully challenged the re-designation process in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland. Justice Leo Barry ruled on 8 July 1997 that the province did not have the right to abolish separate denominational schools and that unidenominational schools could not be closed without consent from denominational committees.

With the education reform process effectively stalled, the provincial government decided to propose a second amendment to Term 17 that would establish a non-denominational education system and remove entirely the churches' rights to administer education in the province. It held a second referendum on 2 September 1997, in which 73 per cent of all voters supported the proposed amendment.

Backed by a substantial majority vote, the province received permission from the federal government to again amend Term 17 on 14 January 1998. The revised Term 17 stated that: “(2) In and for the Province of Newfoundland, the legislature shall have exclusive authority to make laws in relation to education, but shall provide for courses in religion that are not specific to a religious denomination”.