CCRF, Sections 29 and 16 to 23, tyranny of the majority?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Again, is any child deprived of an education?

Well, yes. many are. Some home-schooled urchins receive model educations. Many don't. Support and provincial funding are provided. But, there is really no oversight. What are they taught? That the age of the earth is only 6000 years, that creationism is a theory rivalling evolution, that Genesis is literally true? A lack of science hobbles chidren, limits their horizons, locks them into a myth-laden world of misconception and mistrust.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, yes. many are. Some home-schooled urchins receive model educations. Many don't. Support and provincial funding are provided. But, there is really no oversight. What are they taught? That the age of the earth is only 6000 years, that creationism is a theory rivalling evolution, that Genesis is lierally true? A lack of science hobbles chidren, limits their horizons, locks them into a myth-laden world of misconception and mistrust.

Have you "home schooled" your children? Do you have children?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, yes. many are. Some home-schooled urchins receive model educations. Many don't. Support and provincial funding are provided. But, there is really no oversight. What are they taught? That the age of the earth is only 6000 years, that creationism is a theory rivalling evolution, that Genesis is lierally true? A lack of science hobbles chidren, limits their horizons, locks them into a myth-laden world of misconception and mistrust.

A public education is available at no cost. I figured the point was clear.

I am not a supporter of home schooling, nor private schools that are subsidized by the tax payer.
But those are their rights.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No and many!

Then you're talking out of your a$$ when it comes to home schooling. There is a curriculum that has to be followed. Standardized testing on regular intervals.

I am not a supporter of home schooling, nor private schools that are subsidized by the tax payer.

You can't really call the Catholic School system as being private. They have to follow all the same curriculum rules as the public. They also do NOT prevent someone from going to school there just because they are not Catholic.

and home schooling for some is far better than regular school.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Gerry, there is no standardised testing in your province. There is outcomes-based testing; but, that does not confirm delivery of curriculum. There are no sanctions. Fundamentalist- American curriculum resources are widely used in your province.

Pffft!

Public education is not free. There are school fees, text rentals, material fees, busing fees, etc.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Then you're talking out of your a$$ when it comes to home schooling. There is a curriculum that has to be followed. Standardized testing on regular intervals.

You can't really call the Catholic School system as being private. They have to follow all the same curriculum rules as the public. They also do NOT prevent someone from going to school there just because they are not Catholic.

and home schooling for some is far better than regular school.

My bad - I was not referring to either the Catholic, or is some areas the Protestant Boards as private as they are not private in my opinion. Separate school boards in AB are not always Catholic. In St Albert the protestant board was separate. This changed last year.
My point was private schools, and only the ones that receive tax payer funds and or tax credits.

Switch from Protestant to public won't change much, school board chair | Local News | St. Albert Gazette..

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gerry, there is no standardised testing in your province. There is outcomes-based testing; but, that does not confirm delivery of curriculum. There are no sanctions. Fundamentalist- American curriculum resources are widely used in your province.

Pffft!

Really? That's strange, as I did home school one of my boys and there was standardized testing after each module and again after each section, plus the finals. So, I reiterate, you're talking out of your a$$ about something you have no first hand knowledge of.

http://www.education.alberta.ca/parents/choice/private.aspx

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Really? That's strange, as I did home school one of my boys and there was standardized testing after each module and again after each section, plus the finals. So, I reiterate, you're talking out of your a$$ about something you have no first hand knowledge of.

My dear Gerry, you may well be referring to distance-learning materials that are teacher monitored through sites in Calgary, Edmonton, Barrhead, et cetera.. Those resources are optional. Furthermore, the module tests and final exams are not norm referenced. However, that is quite different from a selection of resources by parents. Resources are not mandated, curricula are, but there is no overseer.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My dear Gerry, you may well be referring to distance-learning materials that are teacher monitored through sites in Calgary, Edmonton, Barrhead, et cetera.. Those resources are optional. Furthermore, the module tests and final exams are not norm referenced. However, that is quite different from a selection of resources by parents. Resources are not mandated, curricula are, but there is no overseer.

As long as the base curriculum is taught, that is all that matters. Or would you like to see some law enacted preventing Parents from teaching or having their children taught their beliefs/cultures? What would you like to see taught? Only what YOU believe?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As long as the base curriculum is taught, that is all that matters. Or would you like to see some law enacted preventing Parents from teaching or having their children taught their beliefs/cultures? What would you like to see taught? Only what YOU believe?

The state has a responsibility to ensure the curriculum is delivered. What is taught in science must be determined by scientists; what history is taught should reflect national and international realities and interests arrived at by historians and curriculum experts, not by pseudoscience or the religious bias of parents. The world is not flat. Adults can chose whatever they wish to believe; chilldren cannot; the state has a moral responsibility.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The state has a responsibility to ensure the curriculum is delivered. What is taught in science must be determined by scientists; what history is taught should refect national and international realities and interests arrived at by historians and curriculum experts, not by pseudoscience or the religious bias of parents. The world is not flat. Adults can chose whatever they wish to believe; chilldren cannot; the state has a moral responsibility.

and those that choose to home school their children must teach the base curriculum. That curriculum's knowledge is then tested. They don't get a pass just because they were home schooled.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
They are neither passed nor held back. There are only diploma exams (Grade 12) in your province. There are none in Grade 5. Grades are are based on age and sequence.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
They are neither passed nor held back. There are only diploma exams (Grade 12) in your province. There are none in Grade 5. Grades are are based on age and sequence.

It's no different in Alberta than in BC. I have had kids in both public/private systems from kindergarten to grade 12. As well as some home schooling in between when the teachers were idiots. Neither province would "fail" a child, whether they were home schooled or taught in classroom by teachers. At least when we home schooled, it was us that made the decision whether or not they were ready to move on.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nope, I thought you did.

Nope, I have no problem with people home schooling their children. Never have. As a matter of fact, if parents have the time to be able to devote to home schooling, I think it is better as I have very few "good" things to say about idiot teachers.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope, I have no problem with people home schooling their children. Never have. As a matter of fact, if parents have the time to be able to devote to home schooling, I think it is better as I have very few "good" things to say about idiot teachers.

Not all home schooled receive the education needed. It is a hot potato politically.