CBC's Anti-Harper Bias

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy

I gave up listening to CBC radio when every second "informed commentary" came from someone with a distinctly Semitic tone of name.....same with the Globe and Mail ...or Grope and Flail as a friend told me they're actually referred to around the free world...

If governments..."states" control media.....whom do you think represents the largest ethnic group in Canadian media ...

If "Media" can be used to influence public opinion and potentially political outcomes....why is the predominance of one sector of people from a little nation over near Iraq so obviously slanted?

Do you really believe that there can be such a thing as a truly "free press"....? Doesn't the old saw about ...follow the money apply to media...TV...radio....print media....?

I call it the "Gab and Wail" myself, but buy it every day, ever since the demise of my formerly-beloved "National" Post in eastern Canada.

Don't get too wound up about Jews controloing the media.........the influence is there, but most of them would agree with you quicker than me......except on Israel. It also casts a pall on your argument, true or not, simply because it starts to sound like something from the Elders of Zion paranoia........

I actually think some form of CBC is necessary...........I just don't like the billion dollar one we have now. Juan, I watch the CBC's National broadcast from Kabul, from any city in the world that is the source of a major story.......and I dream of hitting their budget with a huge machete......THINK about it, that is SO expensive, and exactly what is the advantage of having Peter Mansbridge talking from where ever?

I do think ideas are best disseminated through private means......it used to be (150 years ago)each paper had a political backer, and we all knew who they were. Read two or three, and you could guess the truth...........

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I do remember Peter Gzowski interviewing Chretien, and Gzowski losing his cool, banging his fist on the table, and saying, "God damn it, Mr Prime Minister..." after which they had a sudden musical break while Gzowski tried to cool down.

In most cases people invent political bias when the message dosen't suit them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Originally Posted by MikeyDB
I gave up listening to CBC radio when every second "informed commentary" came from someone with a distinctly Semitic tone of name.....

When you consider that Izzy Asper owns CTV, Global, and virtually every bit of print media in the country, we should be at least a little bit worried. I know Izzy is dead now but that organization would love to have CBC. Will our politicians, either Liberal, or Conservative, be strong enough to hold them off?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
When you consider that Izzy Asper owns CTV, Global, and virtually every bit of print media in the country, we should be at least a little bit worried. I know Izzy is dead now but that organization would love to have CBC. Will our politicians, either Liberal, or Conservative, be strong enough to hold them off?

I would agree in general that having one or two media owners is not a good thing...The Globe and Nation post did 180's after new ownership, however the CBC is already a mouth piece for leftist interest while being paid with public money. To make matters worse the french cbc (radio Canada) is a complete seperatist mouth piece, paid by public money.

The views I hear are constantly anti American, anti business, very pro NDP, unions and very pro British...as if our multi cultural makeup really cares that much for Mother England...They say that are a binding thread in the country, however I have learned more about regions of Canada from a Wal-mart commercial, and a Nissan Bonevista commercial then from the CBC.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would agree in general that having one or two media owners is not a good thing...The Globe and Nation post did 180's after new ownership, however the CBC is already a mouth piece for leftist interest while being paid with public money. To make matters worse the french cbc (radio Canada) is a complete seperatist mouth piece, paid by public money.

The views I hear are constantly anti American, anti business, very pro NDP, unions and very pro British...as if our multi cultural makeup really cares that much for Mother England...They say that are a binding thread in the country, however I have learned more about regions of Canada from a Wal-mart commercial, and a Nissan Bonevista commercial then from the CBC.

For one thing Ottawabill, almost the entire world is anti-American these days. I don't think the CBC is generally pro-union but if they were, would it be better if they were anti-union?

Whether you like it or not, Canada is a constitutional monarchy. Our Queen is British. Should CBC be anti-British?

I have learned more about regions of Canada from a Wal-mart commercial, and a Nissan Bonevista commercial then from the CBC.
[/QUOTE]

That is nonsense and you know it.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
ITN you don't know what CBC is. Nor do most of it's detractors. Canadians will always support CBC.

I know it's a billion dollar pacifier sucking up taxpayers money so the people can watch Trailer Park Boys, when there are other priorities.

And if Canadians would always support it, then put it to the test.

And I know enough to comment, otherwise I wouldn't. Anything else condescending you wish to add?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I know it's a billion dollar pacifier sucking up taxpayers money so the people can watch Trailer Park Boys, when there are other priorities.

And if Canadians would always support it, then put it to the test.

And I know enough to comment, otherwise I wouldn't. Anything else condescending you wish to add?

Sadly, Trailer Park Boys has nothing to do with the CBC.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't think the CBC has the budget to do a show in a trailer park.

With a billion dollars, I would think they do.

Anyway, I've heard the arguments before. It promotes Canadian Content, which is fine and I can certainly understand and respect that position.

But if you REALLY want to SUPPORT the CBC, then SUPPORT it, not "support" it.

In other words put your money where your mouth is.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
With a billion dollars, I would think they do.

Anyway, I've heard the arguments before. It promotes Canadian Content, which is fine and I can certainly understand and respect that position.

But if you REALLY want to SUPPORT the CBC, then SUPPORT it, not "support" it.

In other words put your money where your mouth is.

Do you SUPPORT PBS?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Do you SUPPORT PBS?

Yes I do, they're in my budget. I buy documentaries from them regularly.

I don't agree with everything they broadcast, put they have very good programming.

I'd hate to see them shut down.

That being said, I don't expect a government to bail them out. If they can't sustain themselves, tough.

I can pickup a book instead. I won't get hell bent over the closing of a TV station.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't think I have ever contributed a nickel to the CBC, besides tax dollars.

I think the CBC is too bloated and needs the fat trimmed. CBC should stick to what it does best, Hockey and News in my opinion.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
The CBC should be left to sink or swim on it's own.

A BILLION dollars is a waste of money. Especially since their viewership is abysmal.

Who in the heck will watch CBC when HNIC moves to TSN next year? They will have nothing worth watching at all.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't think I have ever contributed a nickel to the CBC, besides tax dollars.

I think the CBC is too bloated and needs the fat trimmed. CBC should stick to what it does best, Hockey and News in my opinion.

And just as a sidenote, I abhore any form of government subsidy. If an organization can't stand on it's own two feet, they let it fade away into oblivion.