CBC Bias Reaches New Heights - Insulting Catholicism--compared to Little Mosque......

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
This is not a shut down the CBC thread.

Your missing the fact that the Liberals at CBC treated Islam with sensitivity on 'Little Mosque on the Prairie' and insults Catholic rituals on 'The Alter Boy Gang'.

This is bias, and a government run organizations should be NEUTRAL AND UN-BIASED.

I could care less if this was CTV, but on a public broadcaster draw the line.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is not a shut down the CBC thread.

Your missing the fact that the Liberals at CBC treated Islam with sensitivity on 'Little Mosque on the Prairie' and insults Catholic rituals on 'The Alter Boy Gang'.

This is bias, and a government run organizations should be NEUTRAL AND UN-BIASED.

I could care less if this was CTV, but on a public broadcaster draw the line.

Bias? According to conventional CBC-complainer theory the programming is state controlled and therefore propoganda for the ruling party. Is it now the Harper controlled and pushing the conservative agenda? Nope.

Last time I looked Catholics didn't have a monopoly on perfection either.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I always found the notion that the CBC was state controlled to be its most disturbing aspect. If the USA had a similar station, imagine the nutjobs that would come out of the woodwork crying conspiracy this, propaganda that. Although it is the most disturbing fact, I hardly find it distubing at all. Which suggests I find the idea that they may be making satire of some religions to be barely a blip.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
I never knew catholics were the most dominant religion in Canada. In the Vatican maybe but not Canada. Surely there are more protestants or anglicans than catholics and how many atheists or agnostics are there?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
CBC used a consultant to make sure Muslims would not find anything offensive on LMOTP. I haven't heard if they did the same for Gang.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Woah dude. Those "dresses" are called cassocks....

p.s. I apologise for any offense commited, but can you please stop hitting my aerial with those thunderbolts. ;)

Like I say about the seal hunt, don't knock it until you've tried it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The point is that the CBC wouldn't DARE treat Muslims and Catholics in the same manner. First of all, they'd wind up in front of the idiots on some PC Human Rights Board, Then the Director of the program would be murdered, and CBC HQ would diappear in a puff of smoke and flames.

It ain't bias, it's FEAR!

Last edited:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
lol Colpy.

My main point is they hired a sensitivity consultant for LMOTP but not for the Catholic show.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Canadian viewers won't see a hike in their cable and satellite TV bills because of a new subscription fee broadcasters proposed last fall, but they will likely start seeing more commercials soon, under changes the CRTC announced Thursday.
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission revealed its decisions regarding several contentious issues discussed during hearings last November that scrutinized the state of Canada's TV landscape.
The federal regulator has denied the proposal from conventional broadcasters — including CanWest and the CBC — to introduce a subscription fee to cable and satellite companies who carry their signals, currently available free over the airwaves.
Supporters had argued that the so-called "carriage fee" was a necessary measure because traditional broadcasters are facing an increasingly difficult climate where audiences are fragmented and advertising growth is slow.
However, the cable and satellite companies called the proposal a new "tax" that would force a hike to the consumer, which could then cause viewers to drop their service and seek out other TV alternatives, like grey-market satellites from the U.S.
Gradual reduction of advertising restrictions

While the CRTC did not feel the subscriber fee "to be warranted at this time," it recognized the financial difficulties faced by conventional broadcasters and decided to remove restrictions on how much advertising they can air as an alternate way to increase revenues.
Currently, broadcasters can show up to 12 minutes of advertising per hour, including segments promoting programs in their lineups.
As of Sept. 1, this will increase to a maximum of 14 minutes of advertising in prime time — between 7 p.m. and 11 p.m.
A year later, the limit will increase to 15 minutes across all time periods. As of September 2008, all advertising time restrictions will be lifted. The CRTC will review the impact of these increased ad times.
"The Commission considers it essential that [over-the-air] broadcasters have the flexibility to maximize advertising revenues to respond to the negative impact of audience fragmentation," according to a statement from the regulator issued Tuesday.

The authority given the Canadian Radio and Television Commission will efffectively mean that subscribers to cable television services in Canada will be paying the same rate for an hour’s entertainment but be receiving only 45 min. of “entertainment” while subsidizing cable companies and advertisers.

Canadians are so thick that while content to pay corporations through their subscriptions to cable TV and “entertainment-networks” that many will continue to be satisfied to pay for less.

If you wonder how monopolies can survive and how greed and corruption grow in Canadian society look no further than your own propensity for ignorance and willingness to be scammed.

Gasoline prices….as long as Canadians pay the prices will rise….and the largest profits in history posted by the petroleum companies are welcomed by the political structure that cultivates friends in America and gouges everyone at the pumps….

This thread is a content issue, and if anyone really took the time to examine “content”, two realities emerge.

TV is crap, always has been always will be. Do you think for a moment that June Cleaver {Leave it to Beaver} and “My Three Sons” were a mirror of western society…as opposed to a formula for conditioning perceptions?

Do you honestly think that “Survivor” and “Fear Factor” represent “Reality”???

If you want to criticize content, the best criticism is getting the advertising funnel removed from your hindmost anatomy…

If we all continue to invite the conditioning message of consumption without regard to consequence, and social engineering of perceptions that allow us to dismiss the crime and violence rates in Canada and the United States as outgrowth of “guns”….and believe that CSIS and the RCMP and the FBI and the CIA are simply ineffective nabobs of the wealthy right….. climate decay will accelerate…as it has for decades and our notions of morality will continue to be sculpted by greed.

Unplug….get a life.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yep by 2009 no limits on commercials.

They did this in agreement that they refuse to charge for networks like CTV and CBC on cable.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The CBC is a Canadian institution as well as a service. I listen to it all the time. The news is almost as good as the BBC, the talk show hosts on radio are mostly intelligent and thoughtful, Quirks and Quarks is an awesome science show. Ideas covers the entire sprectrum of thought.

Compare the CBC with what you get in the US. With the exception of the PBS, there is not much intelligent on their airwaves. American "News" has become little more than infotainment, infomercials and brainless propaganda. Evangelical and extreme right wing nut cases dominate the talk show programs. Nearly every radio station has identical programing so you if you don't have satellite radio, you can only listen to same idiot rant about the "librul" media, "supporting the troops" and "God Bless America" while driving from Mississipi to Minnesota or turn the radio off.

I am grateful Canada has the CBC. The US is an example of how not to regulate the airwaves. Most people in the US have lost the ability to think for themselves. Most Americans don't have their own opinions. Their opinions are programed into their mind through propaganda pretending to be the "news". Its really sad.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I am grateful Canada has the CBC. The US is an example of how not to regulate the airwaves. Most people in the US have lost the ability to think for themselves. Most Americans don't have their own opinions. Their opinions are programed into their mind through propaganda pretending to be the "news". Its really sad.
So, now this is a, "Americans, I hate the bastards." thread.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I have been listening to CBC for a long time. In the last year I have noticed a distinct decline in it,s programming. It interviews too many knobs from American think tanks and generally does a poor job similar to CTV. It has become a mouthpiece for Neocons and thier corporate stooges.
Last sunday I listened to Micheal Enwright interview Richard Dawkins. When will Enwright the idiot retire? Over the years I,ve heard him destroy interviews with interesting guests mainly because he,s a technicle ****head. Jazz is his thing, he should never be allowed to talk to a techy.
The CBC isn't my favorite anymore, it's been turned and compromized, ruined, silenced and debauched. Allah help us all.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
So, now this is a, "Americans, I hate the bastards." thread.

I like Americans in general. I just don't think Americans have many real new sources anymore. The original three (ABC, NBC and CBS) are no better than CNN which tends to focus on the trivial human interest stories and rehashing government propaganda. All American news and media seem to be devolving into variations of FoxNews, evangelical nutjobs, mindless sitcoms and Jerry Springer programing. The only real news which has elements of truthiness in the US are the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. 99% of the rest of American programs are about diverting people's attention from important issues and propaganda for herding the sheeple.

This thread is on the CBC's alleged political correctness except when it comes to Catholics. Some people here would like to see CBC taken off the air. I was pointing out that this would lead Canada down the same unfortunate path to where American news is now. Americans have my sympathies.

If you want to debate this further, perhaps you could start a string on the role of the media in manipulating the electorate.