Carbon tax needed to counter Alberta’s ‘rapid’ fiscal deterioration

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
👌

A new report from the Business Council of Alberta says the province has expense and revenue problems.

“We spend too much, and we don’t bring in enough, and the reality is we’re not going to solve that problem by tackling either/or,” Adam Legge, president of the Business Council of Alberta, told Rob Breakenridge on Global News Radio 770 CHQR on Wednesday.

The 21-page BCA report released Wednesday endorses much of the cost-savings the MacKinnon panel produced in its 2019 report. But it also advocates for the adoption of an eight per cent harmonized sales tax (HST) and the reintroduction of a provincial carbon tax of $50/tonne to increase the province’s revenues.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Since TrueDope will impose a carbon tax anyhow, it makes sense for Alberta to impose one and grab the revenue for themselves. This would replace the one from TrueDope. Same with Ontario and other provinces. Why should TrueDope get the $$$$?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The federal carbon tax has been out for a while already and doesn't work at all like you're implying.

But yeah...QAnon

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Kenney is quick to demand help from the feds, but with free medical and no sales tax it appears they aren’t really in to helping themselves. At the same time he’s quick to cut big fat cheques for the oil industry when they aren’t hurting as badly as they would have us believe.

Reactions: mentalfloss

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They had their own and killed it.

Flossy thinks they wont get their 90% back from the Fed program.

Flossy must know it's a scam then?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is imposed only on provinces without their own. If the provinces adopt a carbon tax, the federal one should be withdrawn.

The tax funds don't go toward federal services or Trudeau.

The rate is set by the federal government (if the province didn't set its avenue for carbon pricing by the deadline date) but the revenue is collected provincially and put toward provincial projects at the whims of the province's government of the day.

Stay away from QAnon.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The tax funds don't go toward federal services or Trudeau.

The rate is set by the federal government (if the province didn't set its avenue for carbon pricing by the deadline date) but the revenue is collected provincially and put toward provincial projects at the whims of the province's government of the day.

Stay away from QAnon.
I wouldn't even know what a QAnon is. I just haven't seen any money flowing yet and they have been collecting for 2 years.

But my original point stands. If Alberta put their own in they could spend that money as they see fit without having any deals with TrueDope.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I wouldn't even know what a QAnon is. I just haven't seen any money flowing yet and they have been collecting for 2 years.

But my original point stands. If Alberta put their own in they could spend that money as they see fit without having any deals with TrueDope.

You don't get money for paying a carbon tax.

The provincial government already has the freedom to do what they want with the tax revenue.

But Jason Kenney is a dipshit so what do you expect?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Youre fucking loopy.

By Federal law, all revenues from the Federal carbon tax are to be returned to the province in which they were raised, with 10 per cent going into funds to help smaller businesses, schools, hospitals and municipal governments cut their own emissions and 90 per cent going to families through income tax rebates.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
With Alberta?

Also, you should really source your plagiarism so that it's not.. You know... Plagiarism.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Kenney is quick to demand help from the feds, but with free medical and no sales tax it appears they aren’t really in to helping themselves. At the same time he’s quick to cut big fat cheques for the oil industry when they aren’t hurting as badly as they would have us believe.
Kenney is asking for Alberta's money back

Reactions: taxslave