Canadian Kids are Getting a Great Education

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Considering how UNIFOR is always howling about the need for wages for teachers, more vacation time, better pensions, more safe spaces, etc., etc., etc.................I thought this was the place for an article about the results produced by our current education system.

Canadian students perform better than OECD average

A new report shows Canadian students are performing as well, if not better, than their American, Australian and British peers even though the country spends less per student on education.

The latest results of the Programme for International Student Assessment, released today, suggest that after a certain spending threshold, there is almost no relationship between the amount invested in education and student performance.

The program, administered by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development to its member countries, says that threshold is US$50,000 per student.

It says the U.S., Australia and the United Kingdom all spend more than double that amount, but students there scored no better — and sometimes worse — in last year's test than those in Canada, Ireland and New Zealand, which spend between 10 and 30 per cent less.

Overall, the organization says, most countries have seen little improvement in their performance over the last decade, despite increased spending on schooling.

Students in Canada and 10 other countries performed better than the OECD average in the 2018 assessment, and those countries also had one of the weakest relationships between reading performance and socio-economic status.

"This means that these countries have the most equitable systems where students can flourish, regardless of their background," the organization said in a statement.

The program assesses 15-year-old students on reading, mathematics and science, with the latest test focusing on the reading in a digital environment. Most students completed the test on computers, the organization said.

Some 600,000 students in 79 countries took part in the 2018 test, the seventh round of the program that launched in 2000. In Canada, more than 22,650 students in 914 schools participated.

Significantly more Canadian students attained at least a Level 2 proficiency in reading than the OECD average: 86 per cent compared with 77 per cent. Some 15 per cent of Canadian students were top performers in reading — attaining a Level 5 or 6 score.

About 84 per cent of students in Canada reached a Level 2 or higher in math, eight percentage points above the OECD average.

Fifteen per cent of Canadian students scored a Level 5 or higher in math, compared with the OECD average of 11 per cent.

When it comes to science, about 87 per cent of students in Canada reached Level 2 or higher, meaning they can recognize the correct explanation for familiar scientific phenomena, the organization said. That's compared with the OECD average of 78 per cent.

www.castanet.net/news/Canada/271875/Canadian-students-perform-better-than-OECD-average#271875

Hmmn............seems like the kiddies are getting a great education just the way things are now. Got that Jerry?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
lol

Rants about UNIFOR always wanting more - first paragraph of article is

"A new report shows Canadian students are performing as well, if not better, than their American, Australian and British peers even though the country spends less per student on education."

Classic

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
I guess that's good, if a comparison is important rather than satisfaction of gaining knowledge.
There's always room for betterment, IMO.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I guess that's good, if a comparison is important rather than satisfaction of gaining knowledge.
There's always room for betterment, IMO.

I'm sure it is very satisfying to taxpayers knowing that at least some of their dollars are being put to good use. ;-)

If or when improvements are needed, I would expect there to be valid reasons for them. I'm not a believer in change for the sake of it, Anna. If students are being well-equipped to find a rewarding career of their choice in the future, then I am happy with the system as it stands.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
I'm not a believer in change for the sake of it
Just for context: What particular change are you referring to?

If students are being well-equipped to find a rewarding career of their choice in the future, then I am happy with the system as it stands.
That's a big if, and hasn't been discussed here. Besides, many would say that real education needs to involve more than that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
WHat does UNIFOR have to do with education?
Ask Unifor. Contact info is on the bottom.

December 4, 2019

TORONTO- Unifor’s 168,000 members in Ontario are united behind the support staff and teachers of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) on their one-day strike action, and in their sustained campaign for a fair contract.

High-quality public education benefits all members of Ontario society, both today and for generations to come. Unifor supports the demands of OSSTF members as they defend good jobs and fight back against cuts to education.

Engaging in free and fair collective bargaining in the education sector creates better working conditions, and better learning conditions for students. Unifor encourages Minister of Education Stephen Lecce to bargain with the intention of building a better education system, not forcing politically motivated cuts that harm education workers and students.

Unifor will support the OSSTF on the picket line, and stand with all educational workers in their fight against Ford’s cuts to ensure that Ontario continues to lead in education for generations to come.

For media inquiries, contact Sarah McCue, Unifor National Communications Representative at 416-458-3307 (cell) or sarah.mccue@unifor.org.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ask Unifor. Contact info is on the bottom.
December 4, 2019
TORONTO- Unifor’s 168,000 members in Ontario are united behind the support staff and teachers of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) on their one-day strike action, and in their sustained campaign for a fair contract.
High-quality public education benefits all members of Ontario society, both today and for generations to come. Unifor supports the demands of OSSTF members as they defend good jobs and fight back against cuts to education.
Engaging in free and fair collective bargaining in the education sector creates better working conditions, and better learning conditions for students. Unifor encourages Minister of Education Stephen Lecce to bargain with the intention of building a better education system, not forcing politically motivated cuts that harm education workers and students.
Unifor will support the OSSTF on the picket line, and stand with all educational workers in their fight against Ford’s cuts to ensure that Ontario continues to lead in education for generations to come.
For media inquiries, contact Sarah McCue, Unifor National Communications Representative at 416-458-3307 (cell) or sarah.mccue@unifor.org.
So it is just another corrupt ontariowe thing. All our school support staff are good little CUPE members.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
lol

"A new report shows Canadian students are performing as well, if not better, than their American, Australian and British peers even though the country spends less per student on education."

Classic

Oh hemerHOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont you think up some NEW LIES?????????????????????????

The record has shown that when Cdn Middle Class schools are ....................................

compared to Yankee Middle Class schools............................

Cdns come OFF WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way that LIE-berals make Cdn schools look better than their Yankee counterparts.........................

is by including scores from CATASTROPHIC SOCIAL FAILURES........................................

from HARD CORE dis-functional ghetto schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN GENERAL Yankee kids have been doing better than ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In addition as we know - Cdn teachers have been ON A DEDICATED CRUSADE...................................

to designate as many kids as possible AS LEARNING DISABLED..............................

because such kids DO NOT need to write the standardized govt testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus weeding out the weakest Cdn kids FUDGES THE NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY numbers or cost examinations produced by teacher HOGS MUST BE DISTRUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In related news - civil service union HOGS have CONSISTENTLY DENIED THE TRUTH.......................

that Cdns are THE MOST HEAVILY Taxed citizens in the G7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay now - run back to your numbers and START CHERRY PICKING THROUGH........................................

to find YOUR NEXT FAKE NEWS ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
lol

Classic

Poor hemerHOID - he just does not understand HOW COMPLETELY.....................

Cdn educational numbers ARE RIGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cdn education system APPARENTLY has the highest

number of "learning disabled" students in the western world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For instance - the same OECD reporters tells us that United States has TWICE THE NUMBER of students with..............................

learning disabilities as ANY OTHER western OECD nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Cdn teacher HOGS apparently reporting rather higher numbers even than the Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And since WE KNOW from other reports - that AVERAGE MIDDLE CLASS CDN KIDS ....................................

PERFORM MORE POORLY than comparable Yankee kids in the same socio- economic levels..........................

and WE ALSO KNOW that OVER ALL Yankee school scores are dragged down by poor performance..........................

of kids in their worst ghettos.............................................

and many of those poor performing Yankee kids are the children of ILLEGALS who do not speak English and thus cannot aid their

own kids with school work - it stands to reason that some Yankee school kids WOULD STRUGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on the amount of cherry picking through statistics that LIE-berals and their HOG ALLIES indulge in.....................................

it stands to reason that CDN teacher HOGS are doing a LOT of LYING.........................................

about what happens in our classes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cdn teacher HOGS have relentlessly designated Cdn kids as "learning disabled" simply so they can weed out kids........................

who will score poorly on EQUAO standardized testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And our HOGS want to use EQUAO test results to justify MORE GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad that EQUAO test results ARE FALLING - with no way for HOGS to fully HIDE that fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The European and Asian and African experience PROVES that educational success IS NOT ..................................

a function of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE CANNOT improve our school scores by throwing gravy at HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But WE CAN BANKRUPT our country and cause huge stress for families - with resulting trouble for stressed kids at school.................

by allowing HOG GREED to drive us face first into the DEBT WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS FACT that kids who bring huge stresses from home - DO NOT perform well in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that our teacher HOGS care about such stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattHughe

Dec 26, 2020
I think that Canadian education is much better than it is here in the USA... I have seen that a lot of people are into IT certification in the last few years, there are a lot of ads for it too. I am also thinking of taking the exam, I will have to prepare well for it. The preparation for the CCIE lab exam is as hard as the exam itself lol, but at least the guys teaching me about it are telling me that most of the people whom they train pass the exam with ease, I hope It will be the same for me.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think that Canadian education is much better than it is here in the USA... I have seen that a lot of people are into IT certification in the last few years, there are a lot of ads for it too. I am also thinking of taking the exam, I will have to prepare well for it. The preparation for the CCIE lab exam is as hard as the exam itself lol, but at least the guys teaching me about it are telling me that most of the people whom they train pass the exam with ease, I hope It will be the same for me.

USA doesn't even make it into the top 10 of the OECD survey.

But then I have heard Cuba's educational system and Health System is better than the USA.

Reactions: Danbones

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

Bill Gates Tacitly Admits His Common Core Experiment Was A Failure

It looks like this is as close to an apology or admission of failure as we're going to get, folks. Sorry about that $4 trillion and mangled years of education for American K-12 kids and teachers.

Now take your vaccines and get your drool buckets and go sit in the corner kids!!!
;)
A 15 percent reduction in population through use of vaccines will be good for you!!!

Bill Gates admits plans to reduce population through use of vaccines​

You can trust me, I am bill gates and I am a drop out!!!