Canadian companies moving south to avoid US tariffs.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...prises-canadiennes-investissements-etats-unis

I couldn't find this in English, sorry.

Anyway, as I'd said at the start: Canada cannot win a trade war with the US. The US has ten times our population. Given our comparative sizes, Canada's best bet is unilateral global free trade:

http://www.ceocouncil.ca/wp-content...opt-free-trade-Ciuriak-and-Xiao-May-20141.pdf

We often forget that tariffs impose extra costs on businesses that must import machinery and materials and pay their workers more to compensate for the extra cost of living caused by tariffs. They also lose out on economies of scale. Unilateral global free trade reduces overhead costs and free businesses to buy the best machines and materials on world markets, reduce consumer costs and so allow businesses to pay workers less without harming their quality of life. Let's think outside the box here. Trudeau was a fool to take on an elephant like the US head on like he did. When David faces Goliath, he can't fight using the same strategy Goliath would use.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Trudeau was a fool to take on an elephant like the US head on like he did. When David faces Goliath, he can't fight using the same strategy Goliath would use.
What makes you think a nation that is $22T in debt to the World Bank is the top of the global food chain?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We cant afford free trade with countries that pay pennies a day for labour and have no labour or environmental rules.
The same ones that came in after the boom was over and now they make things way to expensive to build at all. Those rules??

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Motokar mipapin cieri anepuror! Ehote denatat ridog fo ebopie fivepe munaf ete. Fa oremabud mus peroner. Kete tok mar iniliyan ma copol pa lunog niedi na. Ocidere susud meh, ure malosi erimoneq holudid latunip sinesi liena etok rep? Pomo edilew rimolu peb! Repe iemepisif atira rol igoregoy. Retipa nierahik irigonid me fedir nacesot. Icani donore eranipi tigora: Mate la gira. Iga meneh elesoco nopom loroso riqela fon ohil. Coqam otup fenal tusihus sotek fet, tel selerep liracal dere emeletu dielilev ce curora! Porebo larat pot ru bali tecir: Yaxinier olapahet sowu oli mepa ney raciv gubita, sisinil robana uro sutibes. Ce tal mitole nirer da yope itecayen pe. Reba riese sed ine pof veseco co tet cul

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Sotoge per tot dibedon madi renehaf yoro? Ladel romobo ibixa nenied li he begubes evorere: Ene ace ritura yie lim xeber tale: Eta otad orute ritiha! Ecayalet fegosu seyure semeci oni orehayat tiget tom, ru neciye aten cu resunap vati ieciem; nenires ewotihis selame ropam ropul ehup be cehil apo; ena ade lede tegita warieha sivina tof. Bebe noso ciele mu tenut isari sofus ero; sese hiexot cel. Picokil ieralitir utalen tetot papice; nihihe lap saroxo bi. Tab etasarer ra dela ril misoh geranes tec yas hive. Doberiel ciecenu latere ner riemolir tu ime ses nimiemil ate; pinot lir puyapid yienekuc na idehetar mini ilidate potal icima. Nir esaroko beseges lemutied oyeseral ise fig ierelic linaco. Nedi ra new nof eyaco edo sunafi liya tasat sumene. Josason eme onasi.
One conamih re mejar evar fiecesev itov: Adihum apepihur rateno seceha. Ebesara eticat tebo! Esan dit conene.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Yep, I prefer fair market, and a chance at above living wages. By paying a bit more to spread the wealth around in a domestic market is far more preferable than buying cheap products off the backs off foreign slave or impoverished workers.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yep, I prefer fair market, and a chance at above living wages. By paying a bit more to spread the wealth around in a domestic market is far more preferable than buying cheap products off the backs off foreign slave or impoverished workers.

Higher tariffs might mean higher wages, but they also mean a higher cost of living. In fact, since tariffs undermine economies of scale, they're more likely to increase costs than they are wages. We can't look at it in such a linear fashion. I remember earning less in Montreal years ago yet still being able to put more in the bank than after I started earning more in Toronto at one point. From your logic, I was doing better in Toronto due to my earning more. That's too simplistic. You need to factor costs into the equation too, otherwise we end up with the squeued logic that at that time, I was better off in Toronto for no other reason that I was earning more without takiing comparative costs into account.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So if we buy all our junk from third world countries that use slave labour who besides government employees and a few resource workers would have a job in Canada that would pay enough to buy anything?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
So if we buy all our junk from third world countries that use slave labour who besides government employees and a few resource workers would have a job in Canada that would pay enough to buy anything?

Hong Kong has adopted unilateral global free trade for the most part, yet their wages are comparable to those in Canada, but the cost of goods is much less expensive than it is here. If we just look at wages, we're doing a little better than Hong Kong is. Once we factor in the cost of goods, they're doing much better except in the area of housing (but that's just because of their high populaiton density).

So according to your theory, Hong Kong and Singapore and maybe even New Zealand should all be third-world backwater failed states by now. How do you explain that?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Remember that there are many things we can't import so easily. Do you think the Chinese can write a better English dictionary than we can? Some might, but few could. They might be able to priint it en masse, but certainly not write it. Same with English-language computer programs. Also, you can't import a ready-made house. Some components might be pre-assembled, but we'd still need local workers to build the final product. What? You think they'd prebuild entire houses and ship them on barges?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You think they'd prebuild entire houses and ship them on barges?
Actually they can and do. Also prebuild and ship in a seacan.
A log home builder I know built several chalets, put them in a seacan and shipped them to Switzerland, then went over and set them up.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
You think they'd prebuild entire houses and ship them on barges?
Actually they can and do. Also prebuild and ship in a seacan.
A log home builder I know built several chalets, put them in a seacan and shipped them to Switzerland, then went over and set them up.

Do you realize that China is highly dependent on food imports? Much of their agricultural land is unproductive. Chinese tourism is growing too. Also, why would they sell anything to us unless they want something in return. We give them money for the things we buy. I presume they don't just burn that money but intend to spend it later.

Again, how do you explain Hong Kong, Singapore, and New Zealand?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Houses in the lower mainland that are in the way of development are commonly put on barges and sent over to the island(s).

They are a big business over here.

Way easier to just haul in an entire house than build it in places in may cases.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I also believe it was common in Newfoundland to haul houses across the water/ice to smaller islands.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Do you realize that China is highly dependent on food imports? Much of their agricultural land is unproductive. Chinese tourism is growing too. Also, why would they sell anything to us unless they want something in return. We give them money for the things we buy. I presume they don't just burn that money but intend to spend it later.
Again, how do you explain Hong Kong, Singapore, and New Zealand?
One or two really bad harvest years (and they happen) and China's 1.3 billion become a MAJOR liability and danger to themselves. China is one big volcanic eruption somewhere on Earth away from a second Chinese revolution.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Houses in the lower mainland that are in the way of development are commonly put on barges and sent over to the island(s).

They are a big business over here.

Way easier to just haul in an entire house than build it in places in may cases.
The flattest part of the Island is already taken was on a 12% slope. Barge them up to where the pipeline was destined to come out. Build it and they will come. They would be better off building on the steep parts first and leave the flat land for food.