Canadian companies moving south to avoid US tariffs.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Because we don't have to.
We have the resources and more importantly the moral belief that we can earn our way honestly .

So are you saying that by trading frfeely with Mexico, Canada is unjustly exploiting poor Mexicans?

I challenge you to ask any Mexican worker who's job depends on free trade with Canada whether he would like Canada to raise our tariffs against Mexico.

What are you going to blame his answwer on: Stockholm syndrome?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/showthread.php?p=2705379#post2705379

Trump weakens the North American economy and then gives himself a thumbs up. He's totally oblivious.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So are you saying that by trading frfeely with Mexico, Canada is unjustly exploiting poor Mexicans?
I challenge you to ask any Mexican worker who's job depends on free trade with Canada whether he would like Canada to raise our tariffs against Mexico.
What are you going to blame his answwer on: Stockholm syndrome?
Minimum wage in Mexico is 50 cents an hour. $2-$4.25hr plus bennys at an auto factory is hardly exploitation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A snowmobile made in the Sonora Desert runs the same as the ones they used to make in Quebec but I'd buy Japanese anyway.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You've just reinforced my point. How can two little countries with so few natural resources at their disposal and needing to learn English as a second or even foreign language outperform most other countries in the world?
Obviously the World Bank prefers to trade with countries they have not yet conquered. Trading with us would raise our living standard more than they want it to be. You have to be in the real world to understand, and accept, that.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Damned hard to find Amway around here, now.
sniff

Is Amway still around? I've read good things about its detergent, bad things about its alleged pyramid scheme. I honestly question the ethics of multi-level marketing altogether even when it fulfils the legal threshold. The dividing line between an MLM and a pyramid scheme is a mighty thin one.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Is Amway still around? I've read good things about its detergent, bad things about its alleged pyramid scheme. I honestly question the ethics of multi-level marketing altogether even when it fulfils the legal threshold. The dividing line between an MLM and a pyramid scheme is a mighty thin one.
It's not a mere "pyramid scheme".

It's a faith.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's not a mere "pyramid scheme".
It's a faith.

A faith of a cult? I seem to have read about that too.

I do question whether MLMs should even be legal in Canada. I remember coming across an Amway store in China. Yes, that might sound strange to Canadian ears; but you see, MLMs aren't allowed in China so Amway adapted by opening a store. Since I had such a hard time finding underarm detergent (I guess Chinese just don't grow armpit hair), a friend recomended I visit the Amway store. It really was a very small shop. Think maybe around the size of an average 7-Eleven. And its main product? Undederarm deodorant for the unfortunate among us who grow armpit hair, apparently a minority in China it would seem.

So if Amway can succeed as a regular shop in China, why does it need to operate as an MLM here?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
They're the "Scientology" of soap marketing.
Red, White, Blue bubbles.

So what are your thougths? Should multi-level marketing be legal in Canada? I don't see why Amway couldn't just open a shop like everyone else does. They could even make it an exclusively online shop if they want to, but I don't see the whole point of MLM other than to exploit the people downline?

It doesn't make mathematical sense. If the way to make money is to grow your downline, it won't take long to saturate the market.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So what are your thougths? Should multi-level marketing be legal in Canada? I don't see why Amway couldn't just open a shop like everyone else does. They could even make it an exclusively online shop if they want to, but I don't see the whole point of MLM other than to exploit the people downline?
It doesn't make mathematical sense. If the way to make money is to grow your downline, it won't take long to saturate the market.
see: Tim Hortons franchises in the GTA