Canada’s Tory party left reeling after dismal performance in federal election

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Amid a major increase in gun violence in Montreal, incumbent mayor Valérie Plante said the safety of Montrealers is a top priority for her and that’s why she is pledging to spend, if re-elected, an additional $110 million for public security (She better hope that the price of Oil goes up so that Alberta & Saskatchewan can afford to pay for this). The announcement was made at Projet Montréal’s headquarters downtown Saturday afternoon. http://apple.news/AV9Vpq38vRreCwDEWLNI9Ww
Just promise the world . Money grows on trees after all . This are powerful politicians and we expect them to provide answers . Poor Canada getting poorer .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The Liberals' latest "gun control" is a prime example of govts making it LOOK like they're doing something about a problem while doing very little about the core of the problem. Example, punish the law abiding gun owners while pretending the Akwesasne reserve isn't a MAJOR pipeline for illegal firearms coming into Canada.
Similar with the housing crisis. Let's pretend it's about greedy property owners and not the fact that importing hundreds of thousands of people EVERY year is going to create stiff competition for housing which drives up housing costs.
I mean I'm paying $1040/mo for a two bdrm, two floor apt unit and that is DIRT cheap rent ANYWHERE in southern Ontario these days. But it's still ridiculously high. Christ, just 20 years ago I could rent an entire house bigger than this place for about $100/mo more.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The Liberals' latest "gun control" is a prime example of govts making it LOOK like they're doing something about a problem while doing very little about the core of the problem. Example, punish the law abiding gun owners while pretending the Akwesasne reserve isn't a MAJOR pipeline for illegal firearms coming into Canada.
Similar with the housing crisis. Let's pretend it's about greedy property owners and not the fact that importing hundreds of thousands of people EVERY year is going to create stiff competition for housing which drives up housing costs.
I mean I'm paying $1040/mo for a two bdrm, two floor apt unit and that is DIRT cheap rent ANYWHERE in southern Ontario these days. But it's still ridiculously high. Christ, just 20 years ago I could rent an entire house bigger than this place for about $100/mo more.
Two grand easy in the lower mainland .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Two grand easy in the lower mainland .
Yep, the average in T.O. is over $2000 and I live in the GTA which still averages well north of $1500 for a two bdrm. Hell, even really shitty, traditionally cheap places to live like Brantford, Chatham and Windsor have caught right up in housing costs.
My wife and I are to the point where we're saying "fuck it" and making plans to move back north. I know of a little known town (today) that has less than 10,000 people but almost all the amenities of any city, yet housing and cost of living are nice and low. Housing costs there are actually 50% lower than anywhere in southern Ontario, with a cost of living, outside of housing, that's about $800/mo lower than the GTA. Overall we calculated we could save about $1100-$1200/mo just by moving there.

Of course moving there has problematic. We actually planned on moving in 2019 but well, we all know what happened that year.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s a quote that puts much of this in perspective, & not even trying to pretend that things are otherwise…:

“The fact that this government has been elected by the major cities — I think that we have a voice to be heard,” said the Ensemble Montreal leader.

Montreal & Toronto & Ottawa, & to a lesser extent Vancouver deciding the fate of the rest of Canada. http://apple.news/AqIgByMIwSj6cR4D8JcOwBg Anyway, this below is from a different Montreal Mayoral Candidate:
Plante, however, is sticking to a more local stage. She wants Trudeau to create a Montreal-centric cabinet.

She wants Trudeau “to create a Montreal -centric cabinet” on the Federal level???

“We have lots of MPs here in Montreal from that new government. And this is definitely helpful because they understand the reality of Montreal,” Plante said.

From the outside looking in (& from the perspective of a Western Canadian not from Montreal or Toronto or Ottawa, or to a lesser extent Vancouver…), what do I need to further understand the “reality of Montreal”??
Two new solitudes — rural and urban — now define the Canadian political landscape.

According to Elections Canada, the metropolitan areas of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver — the country's three biggest cities — account for 116 of Canada's 338 ridings. And the results in those ridings help to tell the story of both the Liberal victory and a fundamental split in federal politics.

Of those 116 ridings, the Liberals won 86 — more than half of their national total. The Conservatives won just eight.

That Liberal strength in cities (These few cities…) is part of an urban-rural split that now defines the electoral map in Canada. New research suggests the urban-rural divide between the Liberal and Conservative parties has never been wider.

Canada's two major parties began to diverge in the 1960s: Liberal support began to get more urban, Conservative support began to get more rural. That trend accelerated after the Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative parties merged in 2003 to become the modern Conservative Party. The gap between the two parties was larger than ever before in 2019.

Then it got even bigger in 2021. According to the work done by Armstrong, Lucas and Taylor, the Liberals won all 25 of the most urban ridings in Canada and 109 of the top 150 most urban ridings. The Conservatives won just 23 of those urban ridings.
Of the 150 least urban ridings, the Liberals won 34 while the Conservatives took 81. (Conservatives take the popular vote again & the Liberals take Parliament again)

In an increasingly urbanized country, the party best able to appeal to urban voters might have a significant advantage. But the Liberal Party's dominance in urban Canada doesn't absolve the Trudeau government of the responsibility to speak and act with all Canadians in mind.

That same responsibility to avoid stoking resentment can be applied to the Conservative Party. Last year, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole flirted with the idea that the world could be divided between "somewheres" and "anywheres." He didn't stick with that thesis, at least publicly, but the Conservative platform did state that the country can't afford "a recovery for downtown Toronto" alone.

Now, I could be mistaken here, but I think there are 58 Federal Seats in the GTA area alone, and both Alberta & Saskatchewan combined are a total of 42 Federal Seats, so the GTA alone has enough clout to cancel out Alberta & Saskatchewan & the Western 1/2 of British Columbia & the Eastern side of Ontario alone…. and then Montreal can decide if Justin Trudeau will get a fourth mandate? Is this not what the last several federal election maps are showing us all?? Western Canada (excluding Vancouver & surrounding area) is just canceled out Federally?

Quebec has (I believe, as a separate and distinct Nation as supported by all the parties leaders Federally recently) tossed aside the pretext of being bilingual with English & French as “Canada’s” two official languages…yet the rest of “Canada” is still officially bilingual in “English & French” and the majority of Federal Debates are in French with only one actually in English for the other 75% of “Canada” that isn’t in the “Nation of Quebec” ???

Isn’t it time for “Canada” (The Canada outside of the ‘Nation of Quebec’ {which is now monolingually Officially Exclusively French}) to drop the pretext of needing to be officially bilingual in French & English to keep our nation intact so that the Federal Politics doesn’t have to be dominated by candidates from inside the Triangle of Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa (?) and we can get some representation from the rest of “Canada” that appeals to the rest of “Canada” ???

Official bilingualism on a Federal level for “Canada” needs to go just like was done recently in the “Nation of Quebec.” I ask this question as a Canadian in Canada.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The quotes in the post above are still blowing me away. I hear “We’re entitled to our Entitlements!” as I reread the article. Take & Take & Take & Take…etc…& where is the concept of balance (?) or does this seem like balanced fairness in their minds? What planet are these people from?
They are the quarter-wit descendants of the half-wits who refused to go fight "England's War", even though it was France, not England that was overrun by the nazis. They're dumb as shit and not nearly as useful.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What makes you think I am angry. Sad would be more like it. Sad that our electoral system is rigged in favour of Big cities. Sad that my country has become infested with freeloaders.

You were better off being angry.

But anyhoo, enjoy the O'Trudeau! 😘

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That torch is gonna get passed on so you guys can bitch and moan about the next one, don't worry.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Conservatives from Toronto are no real different from Liberals from toronto. Same shit, different pile. No politician from OntariOWE cares for the west unless they are looking to steal something. That is why we didn't put a lot of effort into getting the tool elected.