Canada's oil imports from Saudi Arabia on the rise

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ontario has enough constituencies to form a minority Gov. by themselves if all districts voted for one party, the 905 area code can elect the Gov. with just a little help to the East of them, example see 2019 election. Quebec has enough constituencies to form official opposition on their own if all districts are elected to one party. The election was called before the votes were completely counted in Man. Sask. and Alta just started counting votes and BC polls just closed.
Do you think that was fair to 2/3-3/4 of the country? How does it benefit the country to have all the power concentrated in a small area?
This is why I want a weighted vote based on either area of the riding in hundreds of sq km or number of communities served by the MP or MLA.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You do realize that the Electoral College only applies to the Presidency, right? Canada has a completely different system for electing its de facto chief executive.
By the way, you effectively have such a system. Parliament acts as the Electoral College, as I understand it.
Not really. The party with the most representatives gets to rule and they decide who the PM will be. Members of other parties have no say.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Not really. The party with the most representatives gets to rule and they decide who the PM will be. Members of other parties have no say.
The BC Liberals have more seats than the NDP yet the NDP rule in BC.

You might want to listen to what you have been told. It was actually a pretty astute observation and one I had not really thought about before

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ontario has enough constituencies to form a minority Gov. by themselves if all districts voted for one party, the 905 area code can elect the Gov. with just a little help to the East of them, example see 2019 election. Quebec has enough constituencies to form official opposition on their own if all districts are elected to one party. The election was called before the votes were completely counted in Man. Sask. and Alta just started counting votes and BC polls just closed.
Do you think that was fair to 2/3-3/4 of the country? How does it benefit the country to have all the power concentrated in a small area?
Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba together comprise just over 18% of the Canadian population. If you add B.C. ...and only a bit of BC belongs in your club ... it goes up to about 32% of Canada ... just shy of 1/3rd.

So, your argument is that your vote ... your stake ... your political power should be greater than mine because of where I live.

You must believe that you are "better" than us.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The BC Liberals have more seats than the NDP yet the NDP rule in BC.
You might want to listen to what you have been told. It was actually a pretty astute observation and one I had not really thought about before

Ummmm...

MINORITY GOVERNMENT 101
When no one party has a majority of seats in the legislature, a minority government exists. In B.C., there are 87 legislative seats, so the Liberals needed 44 for a majority. They got 43, which is still a plurality of seats, and in minority situations, the party with a plurality is traditionally the first to be invited to form a government. But once in office, it needs the support of other parties to pass legislation, and without it, the government collapses.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...inority-government-explainer/article34943234/

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
He likes to blame everything on the West, since it's a deflection technique. Curious Cdn has deep seated anger towards members of his family, who happen to reside in Western Canada. It is easier to put blame on a entire region for one's problems, and paint us all as "bad people" who all support Wexit, which is ridiculous.
The West blames their own inability to diversify their economy and grow their population on Easterners. It's been like that since Day 1.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

What seems to be the case now is that those jurisdictions that are contributing a disproportionately higher % of revenues will be leveraging that cash in exchange for greater political power.

It's gonna suck living in the rust belt or depending on the glory days of the cod fishery

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Younger people are providing a disproportionate amount of cash into the system compared to seniors. Should their votes count more?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
The West blames their own inability to diversify their economy and grow their population on Easterners. It's been like that since Day 1.

I suppose it had nothing to do with Ottawa blocking manufacturing from setting up in the Prairies eh? Many times proposed major manufacturing, including Toyota as one of them from setting up on the prairies.

Over 30% of the Canadian GDP is generated from the West but account for 18% of the voice within the same country, yeah that's fair. Big Potato tried to take the Oil from the West to refine in the Central to boost jobs and then ship the finished product back to the West, yeah the West was getting a fair shake pfft.