Canada Sued For $568 Million Under NAFTA Over A Wind Farm That Ontario Cancelled

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
All these international trade agreements are designed to circumvent the rule of law which in fact is the foundation of nation states. If these agreements between vaults of money are allowed to proliferate the nation state will cease to exist and all will devolve into undifferentiated global human misery. Excepting the exceptional authors.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I did some work for an American lawyer who helped Canada win a major softwood lumber dispute case in the US about 7 years ago...
We had a little Friday night safety meeting cheers over it
My question was:
when will we see the money?
he just looked at me and smiled, and shrugged his shoulders, and asked me if I wanted another imported beer...

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Why Canadian taxpayers have to pay $28 mill for an Ontario wind farm that never got built

Because Ottawa, not Ontario, signed NAFTA, federal taxpayers must compensate the investors. And if Windstream’s project never sees the light of day, they will likely have to pay the New Yorkers a lot more than the $28 million the NAFTA panel said they already owe — possibly closer to the $568.5 million that Windstream initially sought in its NAFTA case.

“We are currently assessing the (NAFTA) decision to determine next steps,” Diana Khaddaj, a spokeswoman for Global Affairs Canada, said in an email to the Financial Post.

They complained to the Permanent Court of Arbitration under Chapter 11 of the North American Free Trade Agreement. A panel of three arbitrators heard the case in Toronto last February.

“The claimant’s claim that the respondent has failed to accord the claimant’s investments fair and equitable treatment in accordance with international law, contrary to Article 1105 of NAFTA, is granted,” the panel ruled last month.

Police are now apparently probing whether Ontario government employees broke the law when they deleted documents related to the offshore wind project. A source told the Financial Post that Mars will answer police questions in Toronto next week.

Why Canadian taxpayers have to pay Wall Street bankers $28 million for an Ontario wind farm that never got built | Financial Post