B.C.
View attachment 9180

Go woke , go broke .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
View attachment 9180

From what I've been reading about historically low water levels in Lake Mead, they will very soon also be out of water. There are restrictions in place now and they will only get tougher as summer progresses.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
From what I've been reading about historically low water levels in Lake Mead, they will very soon also be out of water. There are restrictions in place now and they will only get tougher as summer progresses.

Not to mention the forst fires..

They have to whole Pacific Ocean next to them, you would figure they would be heavy into desalination plants like they have in the Middle East and Africa. 🙄🤔

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If and I truly mean if they were they smart they'd build a massive nuke for power and desalination instead of shutting down Diablo.

It's pure insanity.

Another no brainer is a pipeline to LA from the end of Columbia River at Bonneville Dam. It's brackish after and nobody is using it. That wouldtake a huge load off of Lake Mead.

Canada could be making a shit tonne if water projects weren't taboo.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If and I truly mean if they were they smart they'd build a massive nuke for power and desalination instead of shutting down Diablo.

It's pure insanity.

Another no brainer is a pipeline to LA from the end of Columbia River at Bonneville Dam. It's brackish after and nobody is using it. That wouldtake a huge load off of Lake Mead.

1 word "Environmentalists"

Good luck

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020

It's pure insanity.

If dam construction could actually be accomplished in an efficient manner it might be worth the effort. Public infrastructure projects are notoriously poorly controlled.

The more over budget the project goes the less the project management team will say. 10 x is nothing. It is more lucrative to extend the project and to work inefficiently than it is to do a good job.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
E.N. R. O. N.
;)

Oh yeah, then there is the man maid 1200 year drought cycle....

HaHa...Enmoronventalists.

Then, I guess China bombards them with the gay frog plastic water bottle water till everyone turns gay, and that goes on until there are no more white people and the land is BEGGING for replacement folks...of which oddly enough, along with gayfrog plastic water bottles and toilet water, China has an oversupply of.

Solyndra anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Twin_Moose

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If dam construction could actually be accomplished in an efficient manner it might be worth the effort. Public infrastructure projects are notoriously poorly controlled.

The more over budget the project goes the less the project management team will say. 10 x is nothing. It is more lucrative to extend the project and to work inefficiently than it is to do a good job.
Then go 3P. The dam is already there. It's a matter of laying the steel and building pumps.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
View attachment 9180

So who, besides flossy and a few other uneducated goofs didn't see this coming?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Often times these projects are not really over budget in the sense that everyone that works on them knows the budget is unrealistically low, but it is the only way to get the go ahead. This happens in industry as well as government.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

It should be a no-brainer, but then again Energy East should be a no-brainer and it got mired in politics. I read once that a large scale diversion of the Columbia was on the table for a time. Imagine the politics in play with everyone who sees the Columbia pass through their jurisdiction at the same table? California would have turned to dust and blown away before they could even decide on what to order for lunch.

Water problems in the southwest US is nothing new, it's been in the making since the first settlers arrived in Utah over two hundred years ago. Search out a book titled "Cadillac Desert" (1986) or a four part television documentary of the same name (1997) for some real interesting background. The book is a challenge to find, the documentary streams free on youtube.

One thing that stuck with me is that when water is taken from river systems, the Colorado in particular, to irrigate farmland, as it percolates through the ground back to the river it picks up minerals salts and such along the way. This happens along the entire length of a river to the point where downstream water is so toxic it is no longer usable for irrigation.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Colorado used to flow into the Baja. The recent rapid growth of Las Vegas plays a big role. Why people like that shithole is beyond me.

Another issue flows were higher in the past as the Rockies shed their glaciers they built for 350 years. Now we've returned to normal after the Little Ice Age the snow pack is all there is to feed the Snake and Colorado.

Climate changing to average is a real drag.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Whaaaaaa. FFS

Vegas is a shithole. It's useless.
Not completely useless. It's a solid lesson on how fleeting businesses catering to those with extra cash can be when times get tough. A brother of mine lived in Phoenix for a time, property got real cheap down there after the 2008 downturn. I visited him on occasion and managed a little side trip to Vegas in 2014. It got hit pretty hard, there were mega-million dollar projects that stopped dead in their tracks, some with furniture already in the rooms. High end rooms could be had for fifty bucks a night they were so desperate to have customers.

Reactions: taxslave