C.u.p.e

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I took the teaching job because I love to teach genealogy. I didnt even KNOW what it paid til my first check. And frankly, it ain't that much. And I only work 4.5 hours a week so there's no bennies.

Less than 36 hours/wk isn't even considered full time. Ask them to go mug somebody else.

Wolf

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
You are not a member of CUPE, you are a member of the teachers federation which is a seperate union than CUPE which covers support staff such as janitors, maintainence, educational assistants and cafeteria staff.

If you don't want to be a member of the union then attend a meeting and proppose decertification or get employed in a private school.

People go on and on about how the unions have all this control over it's members when in reality they are more democratic than our own governments.

Triedit would not belong to the Teacher's Federation because she is not a qualified teacher so maybe that is why they have her as a member of CUPE. Don't forget that many of the people who teach night courses are not actually teachers even though they are teaching us about their interests and specialities.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Will you be so appreciative about being out of a job when union pay scales and benefit packages crowd the bottom line and the company says: move to China? The Union guy will find another pocket to pick. You'll have to crowd your kid out of work at Dairy Queen....

Wolf

Minimum wage can't compete with China so your point is redundant.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I took the teaching job because I love to teach genealogy. I didnt even KNOW what it paid til my first check. And frankly, it ain't that much. And I only work 4.5 hours a week so there's no bennies.

If you are so passionate about not being part of union (for no reason seeing as you don't even pay dues) then quit and teach privately.

Whinning about it won't change anything.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, I'll play.

Prove it.

you prove your glib assertion first, and then I might care to. lol.

I have yet to see one union that was truly looking out for the well being of its members. I've even seen unions drive their workers out of jobs, when they refused to listen to the company's repeated statements that they couldn't afford higher wages, and a strike would shut them down. Yet the union pushed, despite the wishes of tons of motivated employees, and put them all out of work. Ridiculous.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
you prove your glib assertion first, and then I might care to. lol.

I have yet to see one union that was truly looking out for the well being of its members. I've even seen unions drive their workers out of jobs, when they refused to listen to the company's repeated statements that they couldn't afford higher wages, and a strike would shut them down. Yet the union pushed, despite the wishes of tons of motivated employees, and put them all out of work. Ridiculous.

You didn't answer my question.

What a shock.:roll:

Plus the unions are comprised of employees and they are the ones who decide when to strike so don't give me this dictatorship nonsense.

triedit

inimitable
If you are so passionate about not being part of union (for no reason seeing as you don't even pay dues) then quit and teach privately.

Whinning about it won't change anything.
This isn't whining. This is information seeking. A precursor to possibly not renewing my teaching contract if I actually even AM in a union. And there isn't a market for teaching this stuff privately.

This isn't about dues. This is about tons of mail and phone calls wanting me to support this cause or that. Or a particular politician. Or just about the annoyance of it. And God help them if they do someday try to get me to pay "back dues" or somesuch.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You didn't answer my question.

What a shock.:roll:

You didn't actually ask a question. You gave an order. Not exactly conducive to discussion. Like I said... prove your glib assertion first, then you can worry about mine. :smile:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
This isn't whining. This is information seeking. A precursor to possibly not renewing my teaching contract if I actually even AM in a union. And there isn't a market for teaching this stuff privately.

This isn't about dues. This is about tons of mail and phone calls wanting me to support this cause or that. Or a particular politician. Or just about the annoyance of it. And God help them if they do someday try to get me to pay "back dues" or somesuch.

Interesting as I am a member of the same union and get no calls wanting support for anything, perhaps you are lying.

You will have to decide what comes first then, being part of a union with no obligation at all to do anything for it or your teaching.

If people want to take the course there is a market for it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You didn't actually ask a question. You gave an order. Not exactly conducive to discussion. Like I said... prove your glib assertion first, then you can worry about mine. :smile:

I asked for proof first, lets do it in order now shall we.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If Im lying then may lightening strike me dead.

And you're an a$$wipe for even suggesting such a thing.

Well I have been a full member of CUPE for over a decade and have never recieved one phone call or letter mail from them.....not once.