British Columbia :News, & Assorted

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Watching Horgan address the media right now. Never thought I would find myself in agreement with the man but I have to give him credit for his support of the majority of FNs and other Canadians for the Coastal Gaslink line and the condemnation of all those scofflaws who tried to block the doors of the legislature yesterday. Kudos, Horgan.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Watching Horgan address the media right now. Never thought I would find myself in agreement with the man but I have to give him credit for his support of the majority of FNs and other Canadians for the Coastal Gaslink line and the condemnation of all those scofflaws who tried to block the doors of the legislature yesterday. Kudos, Horgan.

Yes, kudos for being a useless hypocrite, Horgan, but what else can be expected from the ndp.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
BC catching up fast with a now $100 billion debt forecasting to double by next year. Well behind Ontario at $325.

Canadians pay $75 million daily in federal interest payments, Add the provincial and it is not a rosy picture.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Officials track the origin of a 'murder hornet' possibly from the U.S., found in B.C.
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Nov 03, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A Washington State Department of Agriculture worker holds two of the dozens of Asian giant hornets vacuumed from a tree in Blaine, Wash., Oct. 24, 2020.
A Washington State Department of Agriculture worker holds two of the dozens of Asian giant hornets vacuumed from a tree in Blaine, Wash., Oct. 24, 2020. PHOTO BY AP-ELAINE THOMPSON /THE CANADIAN PRESS
Article content
VANCOUVER — The remains of a giant hornet have been found in British Columbia, but the province’s bee expert doubts there is any cause for alarm.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Paul van Westendorp says the Asian giant hornet, sometimes known as a “murder hornet,” was found recently on the B.C. side of the border with Washington state, not far from the area in Whatcom County where four giant hornets’ nests were recently located and destroyed.

Van Westendorp says the hornet found in B.C. was roughly 2.3 centimetres, less than half the size of a large mating queen, and it likely originated from one of the destroyed U.S. nests.

The remains of what van Westendorp says was a “severely degraded specimen” has been sent to Ottawa for DNA extraction, which he expects will confirm the hornet is from one of the U.S. nests, which are all interrelated.

He says there will be much more concern If DNA shows the hornet is unrelated to the American nests, because it would increase the chance that the invasive pests are breeding and spreading.

Giant hornets, originally from Asia, are the world’s largest hornets and a small group of them can kill an entire honeybee hive in a matter of hours.
1104_NA_MURDER_HORNETS_81086858-scaled-e1635968878368[1].jpg

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
BC is having its share of weather extremes. First the Dome........Now massive flooding. Hope that anyone living in the affected areas are ok.........or at least coping.

This is a horror story ........that is affecting everything........... Stay safe everyone........