Body Positive Role Models

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Just caught Katy Simpson reporting from Washington and noticed she has done a complete body make over. Like all women it will only be temporary but still.

She got the job in the first place as a role model for larger people then the next thing you know she drops sixty pounds. What message does this send to younger girls? I know you can't say that you have to remain big but somehow it seems the body positive message they were trying to send appears nothing more than lip service. I feel sorry for Katy that she felt she needed to do what she did.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Just caught Katy Simpson reporting from Washington and noticed she has done a complete body make over. Like all women it will only be temporary but still.
She got the job in the first place as a role model for larger people then the next thing you know she drops sixty pounds. What message does this send to younger girls? I know you can't say that you have to remain big but somehow it seems the body positive message they were trying to send appears nothing more than lip service. I feel sorry for Katy that she felt she needed to do what she did.
Good for her to do the healthy thing.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Being obese is not body positive. It is unhealthy.Katy did something about her weight problem. That is a body positive message.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
There's a HUGE difference between an actor getting a role who loses weight vs. Joan Public.

Reality.

Reality is, Joan doesn't HAVE the access to the training and lifestyle change the actor does.

Reality is Joan doesn't have the time to focus on maintaining that lifestyle change.

Reality is Joan may not be able to afford the suddenly good diet regime that the actor now has because they need to drop weight.

And the list goes on to include AFTER the actor is done - they've had months to adapt to this new regime of pushing weight loss, personal trainer exercise programs and so on. And once the part of the movie is over, they can afford to KEEP up that regime, especially if it now gets them more movie/tv roles.

Meanwhile Joan will likely yo-yo even if she does lose weight of any amount.

This has been my personal hell all my life and after working hard to lose, again I've regained and moreso.

THAT is the reality.

I think that when people see body positive people who are overweight, they assume they all just don't give a fuk and want to stay that way, and likely some do. But I think others who are body positive are just people trying to learn to accept that this is how it is, even though they will continue to try and make changes to better their health.

Assholes who point fingers and body shame only make things worse, which push the body positive types to become more vocal, because if they don't or aren't, then more people who are overweight will continue to BE that way.

Unless you are in the situation, you've no idea how truly hard it can be. It is NOT a matter of exercise and lower intake/greater output. EVERY person might have reasons WHY it isn't that simple, from physical to mental health issues, to social status/financial status and other reasons.

Is it good that someone who is body positive (aka okay with their weight status) changes and becomes the more defined 'normal'? Sure, that's awesome. I hope to all the Gods they can keep up that work.

But for me personally, I wish people who can't lose would be just as "awesome" to more of the public.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There's a HUGE difference between an actor getting a role who loses weight vs. Joan Public.
Reality.
Reality is, Joan doesn't HAVE the access to the training and lifestyle change the actor does.
Reality is Joan doesn't have the time to focus on maintaining that lifestyle change.
Reality is Joan may not be able to afford the suddenly good diet regime that the actor now has because they need to drop weight.
And the list goes on to include AFTER the actor is done - they've had months to adapt to this new regime of pushing weight loss, personal trainer exercise programs and so on. And once the part of the movie is over, they can afford to KEEP up that regime, especially if it now gets them more movie/tv roles.
Meanwhile Joan will likely yo-yo even if she does lose weight of any amount.
This has been my personal hell all my life and after working hard to lose, again I've regained and moreso.
THAT is the reality.
I think that when people see body positive people who are overweight, they assume they all just don't give a fuk and want to stay that way, and likely some do. But I think others who are body positive are just people trying to learn to accept that this is how it is, even though they will continue to try and make changes to better their health.
Assholes who point fingers and body shame only make things worse, which push the body positive types to become more vocal, because if they don't or aren't, then more people who are overweight will continue to BE that way.
Unless you are in the situation, you've no idea how truly hard it can be. It is NOT a matter of exercise and lower intake/greater output. EVERY person might have reasons WHY it isn't that simple, from physical to mental health issues, to social status/financial status and other reasons.
Is it good that someone who is body positive (aka okay with their weight status) changes and becomes the more defined 'normal'? Sure, that's awesome. I hope to all the Gods they can keep up that work.
But for me personally, I wish people who can't lose would be just as "awesome" to more of the public.
Like my exwife that sits on the couch and snarfs a bag of chips and 3 cans of pop every single night and whose idea of dinner is a box of Kraft dinner. Cause that is sooo much cheaper than eating veggies and going for a walk.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Like my exwife that sits on the couch and snarfs a bag of chips and 3 cans of pop every single night and whose idea of dinner is a box of Kraft dinner. Cause that is sooo much cheaper than eating veggies and going for a walk.
Not a keeper I take it.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Good comments by all. I should have thought more about the health aspect before posting. Curious if she would have got the job if she looks like she does now.