Bill’s C-10 & C-11. If we aren’t talking about it already, shouldn’t we be?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The fact that the liberals are so desperate to pass this flawed legislation is not only offensive, but disturbing. There is obviously something they desperately want to do or hide that requires this legislation to protect their sorry asses.
I regularly send emails to Trudeau & Singh commenting on some ridiculous policies and/or comments and/or statements they've made. I doubt if either of them have read them BUT I think their staff do read, at least some of them. I'm also sure that they've brought up the criticisms to the attention of their Leader that I or anyone else who may have taken the time to write.

Bill C-11 will certainly make sure that I will not be able to "complain" anymore or even to make "suggestions" as to what may be a better option. Citizens will not be able to criticize those in Office any more. Trudeau has a HUGE ego and likely hates the fact there are those of us who object to his policies so that is one reason why this Bill and Bill-C18 is so important.

All Canadians need to email the PMO & the Opposition to object to these Bills being passed because I believe it's unconstitutional. We are entitled to the freedom of expression in Canada and these Bills do the exact opposite. As for "hate speech, derogatory speech et al, there are laws already on the books that can be used so these two Bills are not necessary. Trudeau just hates having his feelings hurt which is the driving force of these Bills. JMHO

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The tracks and right of ways are still there .
No ties under them. A couple of years back I needed so rr spikes, so I walked down the track and pulled a pocket full with my bare hands. Also the natives have demanded their land back.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
No ties under them. A couple of years back I needed so rr spikes, so I walked down the track and pulled a pocket full with my bare hands. Also the natives have demanded their land back.
They lived along the coast .

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
But ventured inland to mine coal to burn.
Mined coal on the island too. Also had trade routes across the isl@nd. I walked part of the trail from Sayward to Nootka sound. There were also trails from some of the inlets over the mountains to the interior.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mined coal on the island too. Also had trade routes across the isl@nd. I walked part of the trail from Sayward to Nootka sound. There were also trails from some of the inlets over the mountains to the interior.
It was the island I was referring to. It's what UBC was teaching geonauts about the geology if the island back in the day. I doubt they mention the fossil fuel use by indigenous people these days.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It was the island I was referring to. It's what UBC was teaching geonauts about the geology if the island back in the day. I doubt they mention the fossil fuel use by indigenous people these days.
Yes in some instances the fossil fuel was seeping from out of the ground. Didn't indigenous people use it as fuel when they found it was flammable?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As debate on Bill C-11 in the Senate entered its final hours Wednesday evening, senators chose not to push back against the Liberal government’s rejection of a previous Senate amendment to explicitly exempt user content from the bill.

The Liberal government has said it doesn’t intend for user content — such as videos posted on YouTube by digital creators and everyday Canadians — to be captured by the online streaming law, but has rejected the Senate amendment that would have enshrined that exemption in the bill itself.

On Wednesday, Senators voted 47-17 against an amendment that would have seen the Senate “insist” on the exemption and other changes the Red Chamber previously made to the legislation.

Sen. Don Plett, leader of the opposition in the Senate, said all the user content amendment would have done is kept the government at their word. Oh well…

“All that the Senate did was to take the government up on its claim and to test its commitment. But when put to the test, the government failed. It effectively declared that it would continue to reserve the right to permit the CRTC to regulate user-generated content if required,” he said.

• Sad

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The government says the bill is necessary to impose the same regulations and requirements in place for traditional broadcasters on online media platforms. Right now, broadcasters are required to spend at least 30 per cent of their revenue on supporting Canadian content.

Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez, C-11's sponsor, has dismissed much of the criticism of the bill from the Conservatives and tech companies, describing it as inaccurate.

The bill's broad language means it's unclear what it will do in practice — an aspect of the legislation the Senate has acknowledged.

• Sad

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OTTAWA - A new federal law will require digital platforms such as Netflix, YouTube and TikTok to contribute and promote Canadian content. The Liberals' Online Streaming Act passed its final vote in the Senate Thursday and received royal assent.

The bill updates the Broadcasting Act to bring online streaming platforms under the regulatory authority of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

It also sets steep penalties for digital platforms that don't make Canadian content available to their users in Canada.

The government said the law will not apply to individuals who post on social media, which had been a chief concern of those opposed to the changes….but the ruling NDP/Liberals fought tooth & nail keep keep that option open for some reason….
Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says the Liberal government will indicate that social media is excluded from its controversial online streaming bill when it gives the CRTC instructions on how to implement the legislation.

“We’ll provide greater clarity in the policy direction that Bill C-11 is not about what people post online,” Rodriguez said in an emailed statement. “Social media content will not be captured by the Act. Individual users, influencers, will not be captured by the Act. Social media creators, no matter how much money they make directly or indirectly, will not be captured by the Act.”

The Liberal government has maintained it doesn’t intend for C-11 to capture user content, such as YouTube or TikTok videos Canadians and digital creators post, but Rejected (?) a Senate amendment that would have specified in the law that user-generated content is excluded.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
As debate on Bill C-11 in the Senate entered its final hours Wednesday evening, senators chose not to push back against the Liberal government’s rejection of a previous Senate amendment to explicitly exempt user content from the bill.

The Liberal government has said it doesn’t intend for user content — such as videos posted on YouTube by digital creators and everyday Canadians — to be captured by the online streaming law, but has rejected the Senate amendment that would have enshrined that exemption in the bill itself.

On Wednesday, Senators voted 47-17 against an amendment that would have seen the Senate “insist” on the exemption and other changes the Red Chamber previously made to the legislation.

Sen. Don Plett, leader of the opposition in the Senate, said all the user content amendment would have done is kept the government at their word. Oh well…

“All that the Senate did was to take the government up on its claim and to test its commitment. But when put to the test, the government failed. It effectively declared that it would continue to reserve the right to permit the CRTC to regulate user-generated content if required,” he said.
Watch - Trudeau is lying about "user content" because that's exactly what he's aiming for. He hates criticism and this is one way to stifle it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OTTAWA - A new federal law will require digital platforms such as Netflix, YouTube and TikTok to contribute and promote Canadian content. The Liberals' Online Streaming Act passed its final vote in the Senate Thursday and received royal assent.

The bill updates the Broadcasting Act to bring online streaming platforms under the regulatory authority of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

It also sets steep penalties for digital platforms that don't make Canadian content available to their users in Canada.

The government said the law will not apply to individuals who post on social media, which had been a chief concern of those opposed to the changes….but the ruling NDP/Liberals fought tooth & nail keep keep that option open for some reason….
Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says the Liberal government will indicate that social media is excluded from its controversial online streaming bill when it gives the CRTC instructions on how to implement the legislation.

“We’ll provide greater clarity in the policy direction that Bill C-11 is not about what people post online,” Rodriguez said in an emailed statement. “Social media content will not be captured by the Act. Individual users, influencers, will not be captured by the Act. Social media creators, no matter how much money they make directly or indirectly, will not be captured by the Act.”

The Liberal government has maintained it doesn’t intend for C-11 to capture user content, such as YouTube or TikTok videos Canadians and digital creators post, but Rejected (?) a Senate amendment that would have specified in the law that user-generated content is excluded.
Sounds like straightforward protect-local-culture stuff.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The CRTC presently requires that at least 55% of all programming aired annually by broadcast television stations, and at least 50% of programming aired daily from 6:00 pm to midnight, must be Canadian content.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Canadian content - Wikipedia

Radio is 1 song in 5 has to be Canadian.
CFL is that 3 players on each team on the field have to be Canadian.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea, or that the government is the right body to be imposing the requirements, or that the values are correct. But I recognize the real danger of getting swamped by foreign content, especially when you border a country that's 10 times bigger (by population), 10 times richer, and makes a LOT of noise.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But I recognize the real danger of getting swamped by foreign content, especially when you border a country that's 10 times bigger (by population), 10 times richer, and makes a LOT of noise.
Our Provinces are bigger than most nations. CBC may very well be a national radio broadcaster but its very very regional with each Province having unique content.

Reactions: Ron in Regina