Bill’s C-10 & C-11. If we aren’t talking about it already, shouldn’t we be?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
????

Sen. Paula Simons said the amendment was “surgical” in order to ensure Bill C-11 “actually does what the government has told us that it wants to do.” ???How Dare They???

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
When authorities talk about misinformation, they are spreading misinformation. And when the “most transparent administration in Canadian history” (just who was in that $6,000-a-night hotel room? Still waiting …) talks about “protecting the public” from misinformation, well, you have a choice: either laugh or cry.

You’ve been hearing a lot about misinformation from the present government. And disinformation, which is simply a respelling of the same word brought in by those pushing for censorship (they call it by a different name) to pump up their case that there’s a huge need for government oversight of all online information sources, particularly blogs, independent reporters and independent news agencies.

I think it is an axiom that the very last authority anybody wants to be deciding what is real or true news, and what is not, is a government. As it is also an axiom, or used to be, that the press and the government exist as opposed categories, that a democratic press in particular has a predominantly oppositional role to state authority.

It questions, tests, investigates and challenges. At least it used to. But that was a distant yesterday. Today the press, or what we may call the institutional or mainline press, is suffering a mighty loss of trust. Many major outlets are seen by the public, and in very many cases should so be seen, as having adopted partisan or ideological roles, reporting only what coincides with owners’ or editors’ or reporters’ own predispositions, party affiliations and personal biases.

The rest at the below link. I thought the whole “WE Fiasco” with Trudeau and Wilson/Raybould would be the example used…..but they other used another….
The idea of Government (especially this one) deciding for the public what are ‘real’ facts & what is ‘disinformation’ or ‘misinformation’ and directing the media via the CRTC according is diabolical in its manipulative assumptions of our general incompetence as Canadian Citizens.

Would any of the above links exist (for access in Canada) if Bill C10 (now Bill C11) was already in place a few years ago?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The simple fact is that the left's go to tactic is ALWAYS to accuse others of what they themselves do in order to cover that they do it. The 'antifa' people tend to practice facist policy and views for example, the left screams that everyone else is bigoted while they spout their bigotry. In this case, they insist that they are the most 'transparent' gov't and demand transparency while being the most opaque gov't we've ever had.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The simple fact is that the left's go to tactic is ALWAYS to accuse others of what they themselves do in order to cover that they do it. The 'antifa' people tend to practice facist policy and views for example, the left screams that everyone else is bigoted while they spout their bigotry. In this case, they insist that they are the most 'transparent' gov't and demand transparency while being the most opaque gov't we've ever had.
Correct me if I am incorrect but does opaque not let some light through ? Our government hides everything .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Correct me if I am incorrect but does opaque not let some light through ? Our government hides everything .
No, you're probably thinking of 'translucent', opaque means no light gets through at all.

But yeah, you're pretty much right. Trudeau would declare his pant size to be a national secret if he could.

Here's justin being transparent testifying at a recent trial while wearing his 'i'm suffering just like you' covid outfit:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Trudeau administration’s hunger to get involved in misinformation and disinformation “oversight” is very clear. It issues great cautions and claims high anxiety over manipulation and fake news. Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault threw this out some months back when he was still heritage minister: “We are now witnessing public opinion being manipulated at scale through a deliberate campaign of misinformation by commercial interests that would prefer to avoid the same regulatory oversight applied to broadcast media.”

In the spring, the prime minister warned about “misinformation and disinformation” on his gun control legislation.

The idea that a Justin Trudeau government, or — for it is possible and maybe likely — that a Pierre Poilievre government, or — and we all like a little fantasy — a Jagmeet Singh government should have any authority to determine what is news and what is not news, is an offence to the democratic intellect.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Senators told The Globe on Friday that they will not be pressed into waving through the bill.

Senator Paula Simons, a journalist for 30 years, said she thought the bill was flawed and “dubious” and she had “grave misgivings” about it.

“The Senate is not in the business of rubber-stamping bills,” she said.

Senator Leo Housakos, Conservative chair of the Senate committee, said he was " looking forward to taking a closer look at C-18.”

“I can say that there are some troubling aspects of C18, namely that … it won’t benefit those the government purports it will benefit, i.e. independent local media, but rather the large broadcasters, including and perhaps mainly CBC,” he said.

Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says….well, something else entirely….at the above link.
1671293284470.jpeg

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Opaque? These fuckers are about as transparent as a sheet of depleted uranium.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Senators told The Globe on Friday that they will not be pressed into waving through the bill.

Senator Paula Simons, a journalist for 30 years, said she thought the bill was flawed and “dubious” and she had “grave misgivings” about it.

“The Senate is not in the business of rubber-stamping bills,” she said.

Senator Leo Housakos, Conservative chair of the Senate committee, said he was " looking forward to taking a closer look at C-18.”

“I can say that there are some troubling aspects of C18, namely that … it won’t benefit those the government purports it will benefit, i.e. independent local media, but rather the large broadcasters, including and perhaps mainly CBC,” he said.

Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez says….well, something else entirely….at the above link.
View attachment 16741
Paco can fuck off.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
No, you're probably thinking of 'translucent', opaque means no light gets through at all.

But yeah, you're pretty much right. Trudeau would declare his pant size to be a national secret if he could.

Here's justin being transparent testifying at a recent trial while wearing his 'i'm suffering just like you' covid outfit:

Blackout would be more accurate.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Who’s version of “disinformation” would online content providers be obliged to counter?

It’s very easy to imagine the CRTC suppressing sites that called out the government’s propaganda.

Still, even just the current bill has all the potential to “chill” online content that is likely to displease the government. It could make compliance so expensive that only large media outlets can be sure their content is approved.