Best sandwich ever!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Lord - not right before lunch!!! All this food talk !!!

I brought a granola bar..... to heck with it...off to the deli at Vons (Safeway) to get some sliced gourmet meat like maybe Honey Baked Ham.... or Primo Taglio Pastrami and let them throw a few fresh things in with it on the appropriate bread.......I'll let them choose so I can be surprised.

Oh my hips are gonna love it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Oh my hips are gonna love it."

Maybe we should have before and after pictures to help you monitor this....

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan/Cosmo

Some of the farmers around here grow something which may be like the Walla Walla.... is it a red onion - really flat rather than round and so sweet you can bite it like an apple????

If so, I am addicted to them once they are on the shelves....or if I have time, some of the local farms sell them from their own gardens and we go to "pick our own" or dig around the bins for newly harvested treasure. I just call them Sweet Reds....but I'll rename them is they are the same...
Edit:
Well doh - I just looked Walla Walla onions up on the internet and nope they aren't the red sweet that I was describing...but any onion that is sweet is sooooooooooo good.

The best or sweetest red ones are wide and flat - more like a squash shape.... I'm gonna have to look for Walla Walla this summer too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wednesday's Child

We are both probably talking about Bermuda onions. Walla Walla is a town in Washington State. They come in red as well as white. They are definitely flat as opposed to being round. The season is fairly short. We seem to have them in the stores for only about 2 - 3 weeks in the summer. Sometimes we get another lot in the fall from somewhere. I've grown them myself. You just have to baby them.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

That's it - Bermuda Onions.... and they are sort of prima donnas....

We used to grow them and they took a lot of water to give them their sweetness.... but it was worth it....

I am so hungry .... thanks to this topic!

Off to get some lunch!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Off to get some lunch! "

Your not going to ask if anyone else would like some lunch too? :wink:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jay

I'm sorry - selfish creature that I am....I didn't mean to be rude!

You are always invited - but all that is left is half a gnawed granola bar now .... hahaha...

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
My favourite sammich:

Take a couple thick slices of sprouted whole grain bread, spread a thin coat of mayo on each. Layer lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado and some chopped pepperoncini (can also use capers or pitted kalamata olives, something with a bit of tang). Sprinkle a bit of olive oil on top, season with a dash of salt and plenty of ground pepper, add a slice of swiss cheese and the other bread slice. Enjoy!

You can also add some roasted red peppers or roasted eggplant for a richer, more satisfying meal. Use any kind of bread you like - tastes great on ciabatta or even in a pita pocket. The slippery cucumbers and tomatoes tend to slide around a bit, so hold on and dig in!! :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Walla Walla onions are in the stores right now.

There ia a bread called Texas toast. You can get it white or 40 percent whole wheat. get whole wheatr one, Toast two slices amd put a bit of mayo on both sides, a generous layer of Walla Wall slices. Salt and pepper to taste. Add thin slices of peeled navel orange. Add a few slices of ripe avocado amd put that top slice on. Cut sandwich in half and enjoy.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
chinese sandwiches usually suck... or expensive. Ah, it'
s times like this that my taste buds miss Canada. but honestly, that's seldom since there is plenty of chinese food to choose from...

Yumm

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sharidon said:
The best sandwich ever HANDS DOWN would have to be the Steak and Cheese Sub from Subway.

You must be kidding! I had one of those. The question I kept asking myself was 'where is the goddamn steak?' I ended up lifting this very thin sliver of meat. Never again have I asked for a Steak and Cheese Sub from Subway. Mister Sub is a far superior sandwich shop. Their sandwiches contain more meat always and their prices are better.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Re: RE: Best sandwich ever!

Machjo said:
chinese sandwiches usually suck... or expensive. Ah, it'
s times like this that my taste buds miss Canada. but honestly, that's seldom since there is plenty of chinese food to choose from...

Yumm

I love how people like yourself call it Chinese food when it is clearly not. When people order Chinese take-out and the like they think it is the same food they eat in China. It is not even close. The Chinese food you order from those restaurants are not authentic Chinese food. That is food changed by the British into a different type of food, a fast food if you will. When Hong Kong was ruled by the British (damn but I miss those days) they took Chinese food and changed it to meet the Western palate. The Chinese had never fried anything before the arrival of the British. As everyone knows Chinese food here in the West is all fried. British culinary style was adapted to Chinese food to make it tastier. I mean the Chinese steam their rice and that is truly nasty.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Ah darn, over the course of my 6 week van ride circumnavigating the states from new york and back, our "big white ford van" had all our stuff packed on top, and there'd be a section for all the food and picnic food, such as bread, wraps, meat etc....

Now from that....I would say my favourite would be a great big dollop of Mayo and chicken on a lovely white roll ummm....I ate so many of them, especially while walking round Yellowstone.

Amazing what you forget or miss :(

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
RUSSIAN RUEBEN!! BEST SANDWICH EVER!

I would also suggest people visit the Pickle Barrel. Their Corned Beef On Rye is fucking INCREDIBLE!!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Lucifer, Macjo is in China, he's not going to a chinese takeout...although he should go to the one in San Fran with the rude woman owner, she called me "cheap" for only giving her a $8 DOLLAR!!!! TIP!!!!!!

OR!!!.....Go to the Deli opposite the Youth Hostel on 91st street/ Amsterdam Ave, amazing sandwiches, and they tend to be bigger if the owners realise your not a "rude" american!!! hehehe

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Hot pastrami sandwich on rye with mustard and a thin slice of pickle from Katz's Deli in the Lower East Side Manhattan, it's to die for. I deliver!!! :lol:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Ah!!!! YOU TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH ITN!!!! How do you do it?.......I was thinking the very same, I've been to Katz's (although I'd leave out the pickle)