Beets. Anyone?

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Say, Juan, and all my other epicurean friends here. Anyone care to share a good recipe for beets, pickled, spiced or otherwise?

They'll be in the markets soon, cheap and they're so good for you. But they can be real hard to choke down without some special prep. I've had good ones a couple of times but was never able to get the recipe. So I thought I'd ask here.

Cheers, all.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
you can make quick "fake" pickled beets by just topping and tailing them then boiling them until they're done (depends on the size of th beets), cleaning them putting them in a bowl with vinegar that has been diluted with water (I'd say 25% vinegar or less) and some sugar and a pinch of salt then leaving them in the fridge for several hours- that's what I do, I can't really "can" things to save my life so I do it all instant-like

And agreed, beets are real good :D

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I cried when I was a infant when they shoved beets in my face and I cry today as an adult when they do the same. My wife loves them though.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Say, Juan, and all my other epicurean friends here. Anyone care to share a good recipe for beets, pickled, spiced or otherwise?

They'll be in the markets soon, cheap and they're so good for you. But they can be real hard to choke down without some special prep. I've had good ones a couple of times but was never able to get the recipe. So I thought I'd ask here.

Cheers, all.

I CHEAT!...;-):lol:

Ingredients

* 4 16 ounce cans sliced beets, or tiny whole beets
* a few pearl onions peeled and trimmed
* 3 cups sugar
* 11/2 cups vinegar
* 1 cinnamon stick and a pinch of nutmeg for each jar.

Directions

1. Drain beets reserving liquid in saucepan.
2. Add sugar, vinegar and cinnamon sticks to reserved liquid.
3. Heat to boiling stirring constantly.
4. fill 500ml jars with sliced beets and onions or tiny whole beets and onions
5. Pour boiling beet juice, vinegar over beets and onions, Put on lids and screw just tight.
6. Process jars for fifteen minutes in boiling water
7. Cool jars until all lids have popped in

These pickled beets should keep for six months in your pantry. This is a guess because they are always gone before that.;-)

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Cooked or pickled, beets are great; never try to eat them raw, you'll regret it. Be prepared for red urine the next day. Boiling beets is a good way to make tie-dye.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Baked beets are good - you can wrap them in tin foil just like you would do a baked potato - or just put them in a roasting pan. You can peel them first or not - if you leave the peel on they just slide right out of their skins once they're cooked. (Note - they take longer to cook than potatoes of the same size) If you're peeling them, baste liberally with butter and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over them, or a pinch of nutmeg then pop 'em in the oven at about 350.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Ah, ha. Cinnamon AND nutmeg. I think that's the spice combo I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions. But, Juan, out of a can? 8O Eeew. That's what me mum used to force on us as kids, and why I've long hated them. I s'pose if you doctor them up like that maybe they're not so bad. :-?

And Walter, you've given me an idea for a shirt with a coffee stain on it that I can't get out. I'll just dip it in beet juice and problem solved, yes? I do know you don't want to get that stuff on your counter top, it never goes away. :lol:

Here's a little something I discovered the other evening. Beets are quite tasty on vanilla ice cream. With pecans. Really.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ah, ha. Cinnamon AND nutmeg. I think that's the spice combo I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions. But, Juan, out of a can? 8O Eeew. That's what me mum used to force on us as kids, and why I've long hated them. I s'pose if you doctor them up like that maybe they're not so bad. :-?

And Walter, you've given me an idea for a shirt with a coffee stain on it that I can't get out. I'll just dip it in beet juice and problem solved, yes? I do know you don't want to get that stuff on your counter top, it never goes away. :lol:

Here's a little something I discovered the other evening. Beets are quite tasty on vanilla ice cream. With pecans. Really.

My favorite is Zan's baked beets.

In defence of canned beets for pickles, I find they are as good as the pickled beets off the shelf at the supermarket. If there is an advantage, it is that you don't end up purple up to your elbows. I know you can use rubber gloves but we always seem to have one rubber glove with a finger missing......and I'm too lazy to go back to the store....;-):lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

Beet Salad

Ingredients:
1 kilogram beets
Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Caraway seeds
Water
200 grams horseradish

Method:
Cook the washed beets until they are soft. Peel them and slice with a decorating knife. Mix the vinegar with some sugar, salt, caraway seeds and water and pour over the beets. Add the horseradish to the salad.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
[quoting Yukon Jack]

Céklasaláta

Beet Salad
This recipe comes from Konyhaművészet by János Rákóczi. Beets are commonly found in the Hungarian markets and are most often pickled or made into salads like this one.
Ingredients:
1 kilogram beets
Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Caraway seeds
Water
200 grams horseradish

Method:
Cook the washed beets until they are soft. Peel them and slice with a decorating knife. Mix the vinegar with some sugar, salt, caraway seeds and water and pour over the beets. Add the horseradish to the salad.
[/quote]

Yukon, could you make this recipe from the information you've given? It would be good to know the amounts of Vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, water,salt etc.. Or is this another top secret Hungarian recipe?

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
We call them "Beetroot" in NZ and I love them heaps! Check out this Russian Beetroot soup recipe...​

Beetroot Soup

Ingredients:​

Stock
1 kg of beef soup bones (with marrow).
300gm beef (optional).
4 litres of water.
1 carrot.
1 onion.
Salt.​

Soup
4 medium sized beetroots.
2 large carrots.
2-3 potatoes.
1 onion.
1 can of Condensed Tomato Soup.
Water.
Cooking oil.​

Method:
Stock (Bouillon)
Bring 4 litres of water to the boil in a large stock pot. Add the beef bones and reduce the heat to simmer. If the bones are lean of meat and fat, add a 300gm chunk of beef to the stock along with the bones. Simmer for two hours.
After one hour, add one medium sized peeled carrot, cut into two pieces, and one onion, peeled but left whole. The onion is added for flavour but also to make the stock as clear as possible.
Continue to cook the stock at a slow boil for approximately one more hour after adding the vegetables.
When the stock has boiled gently for two hours it can be drained through a fine sieve to remove the carrot, onion, meat and bone. Keep the meat and bones, and return the clear soup to the pot and place back on the stove.
Remove the meat and marrow from the bone and add back into the stock. Add salt to taste. Continue to cook at a low boil.

Soup
Peel and slice the onion. In a frying pan, add enough cooking oil to cover the bottom and heat. Add the onion and cook until golden. Cut the beetroot and carrot into julienne strips. Add to the onion mix.
At the same time as the onion mix is cooking, peel and cube the potato and add to the stock, cooking for around 10 minutes.
Mix in the contents from one tin of Campbell's soup into the stock, and enough water as suggested on the instructions on the can. Continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
Add half of the cooked vegetable mix and place the other half in sieve suspended in the soup for 5-10 minutes to add extra flavour.
OR
Add all the cooked vegetables, simmer for 5-10 minutes and remove half the vegetables at the end.
Serving
Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Beetroot Hummus

Beetroot Hummus

Tip:
You can replace fresh beetroot with 1 can of beetroot drained. Then you omit the first step in the recipe.

ingredients

2 beetroot, trimmed, washed and halved

• 1 ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons tahini paste
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable stock
  • 3 drops Tabasco sauce

how to

Microwave beetroot on HIGH for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Slip the beets out of their skin and roughly chop.

1. Place the beetroot and all other ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
  2. Serve as a dip with toasted specialty breads and fresh vegetables.