Beating up Norway real good

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I said that more out of patriotism than knowledge.

I've watched them both play, both are good but I think the Canadian girls are a bit more aggressive.

Did curling become as popular up there as it did down here, everyone is talking about it. Never thought I would like it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've watched them both play, both are good but I think the Canadian girls are a bit more aggressive.

Did curling become as popular up there as it did down here, everyone is talking about it. Never thought I would like it.

Yes curling is very popular in Canada- most small towns have a curling rink. I can't speak personally about the sport (the closest I've come is playing shuffleboard in the pub) but know people who are ardent curlers.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I'm like you, I've seen it, but never played it, shuffleboard is about as close as I have done also. Looks like fun though, hope it catches on here.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I like watching curling because it's a little like chess on ice. A lot of strategy and skill.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In the mid - sixties there were bonspiels evertwhere. Remember all the car bonspiels? A weekend of curling and the winner(usually the soberest;-)) won a car.
Although Bonspiels originated in Scotland, the most notable tournament in the world nowadays is The Brier, the Canadian Men's Curling Championship. For Canadians, this tournament in equals or nearly equals the importance of the Olympics and the World Curling Championship.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
On a side note, Virtue and Moir were incredible in Ice Dancing.

A true Gold Medal performance, Kreskin. What I really got a kick out of was Scott belting out our national anthem on the podium. Wish more of our champs would do the same.

Way to go Tess and Scott.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
In the mid - sixties there were bonspiels evertwhere. Remember all the car bonspiels? A weekend of curling and the winner(usually the soberest;-)) won a car.
Although Bonspiels originated in Scotland, the most notable tournament in the world nowadays is The Brier, the Canadian Men's Curling Championship. For Canadians, this tournament in equals or nearly equals the importance of the Olympics and the World Curling Championship.

Don't forget the Scotties with all the eye candy... :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the canadian and u.s. women's ice hockey is very evenly
matched, and have exchanged wins and losses in tournaments over the years, haven't a clue who will win this one.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It sure will be, Gopher. It'll be fast and intense with bodies flying everywhere.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It sure will be, Gopher. It'll be fast and intense with bodies flying everywhere.

tomorrow at 4:30 approx.
luongo played well, a good warm-up for the russians,
I hope someone 'decks' ovetchkin and knocks him on
his butt, real hard, he's been doing that so much
this year, and I don't see anyone giving it to him,
tomorrow is the day.
He hit Yagr so hard, his visor was broken and bent.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Pronger could make himself useful and throw one of those season-ending elbows.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Pronger could make himself useful and throw one of those season-ending elbows.

ovetchkin's head would probably shatter his elbow,
just kidding, it has to be a hard earth shattering 'clean'
hit, just to back him off a little, we don't want 5 min.
majors, and game misconducts, and suspensions right now.

The problem is, if they pay too much attention to Ovetchkin,
there are so many good players on that russian team,
one of them will score.

I am wondering what kind of strategy they have for him,
to keep him at bay.

Will be interesting.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think the plan should be to play the game in their end. Dump chase and hit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One question anyone- Is there anyway now that CAnada can win Gold without having to play the U.S. again?