BC's election

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, I'll give you credit for that much. Many (perhaps a majority) don't recognize that fact.

in your opinion the others are worse,that sure doesn't say anything at all for the present government.

yes, I am part of that majority who disagree with you, and my ability to recognize is very sharp, but
might not agree with your recognition.

what will you say when the majority votes your liberals out.

democracy remember?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
in your opinion the others are worse,that sure doesn't say anything at all for the present government.

yes, I am part of that majority who disagree with you, and my ability to recognize is very sharp, but
might not agree with your recognition.

democracy remember?

I'm not sure "your liberals" is quite accurate. I fully expect the liberals will get voted out, which I covered in my post and I won't be too upset if they are, but I'm also not naive enough to think that things will actually be any better with another party. If we keep the Liberals in, it is much cheaper for the taxpayer. Just think of all the thousands of stamps and letterheads that will be trashed, not to mention the severance packages we will be paying for. Probably up in the $millions. Not to mention..... What industry is N.D.P. going to support?

Another thought about the Provincial election scene? What sources of money do the Conservatives, the Greens or the Dippers have that the Liberals don't?

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca

. . .

. . .

Agreed: it doesn't say much about the present government. They are all pretty bad.

And, yes, there is a chance the NDP will win this election. It has happened before; it will probably happen again. I won't be shocked if it does. On the positive side, it will clean government out. I think a change has to happen every now and then to clean out government. Otherwise, the governing party gets too entrenched and arrogant, and so do the bureaucrats behind them. They start to think they are above the law and untouchable. We are already seeing this with the governing Liberals.

However, I wish they could be replaced by a party that believes in the free market, low taxes, small bureaucracy, etc. The NDP is not such a party. The NDP is notorious for charging ahead with their social agendas, and completely dismissing the real-world issues of mathematics and economics. To them, making the numbers work out and balancing a budget isn't even on their to-do list. In fact, one problem I have with the Liberals is that they are acting too much like the NDP in this regard: they have not had the discipline to balance the budget but keep making excuses.

Now I hear Christy Clark claim BC will eliminate its debt by 2030 (?) because of the LNG plants being constructed in Kitimat. Hmmnn... not sure if she is really helping her cause with that claim. I mean, if she is going to pin her hopes on those plants, the NDP can make the same claims. If these plants are going to bring in a lot of revenue to the BC coffers, and allow BC to eliminate its deficit and debt, shouldn't Adrian Dix be making the same claim? After all, these plants are going to make us rich, rich, rich, and it won't matter what party governs BC. It is probably not a good idea for her to use that issue as a reason for BC voters to vote for her.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Agreed: it doesn't say much about the present government. They are all pretty bad.

And, yes, there is a chance the NDP will win this election. It has happened before; it will probably happen again. I won't be shocked if it does. On the positive side, it will clean government out. I think a change has to happen every now and then to clean out government. Otherwise, the governing party gets too entrenched and arrogant, and so do the bureaucrats behind them. They start to think they are above the law and untouchable. We are already seeing this with the governing Liberals.

QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with everything you say. "A new broom sweeps clean" BUT you got to get the right broom! I voted N.D.P. religiously for about 30 years because I thought they were for the WORKING man. They weren't, just the opposite! They may have been for the "employed" man, which included many parasites, drones and sh*t disturbers! But I think you are right in that they will form the next gov't in B.C. I'll be judging their performance by two things..................the debt in May 2014 and the # of unemployed in May 2014. I'll stick my neck out and predict there will be very, very little improvement in both.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This is interesting--wouldn't you say the bureaucracy is a function of the ruling party? Or are you implying that teh bureacracy is some malevolent entity beyond the control of those that are supposed to be in charge (i.e. the Ministers)?
The bureaucracy stays and is independent of whomever sits in the premiere's chair and cabinet chairs. It doesn't provide the destination of the vehicle but it sure as hell sits in the driver's seat.

A large part of the BC debt was so Campbell could union bust. For example Williams Lake had an old folks home right down town, The old folks could actually walk down town if they were ambulatory,or take disability scooters, the building was in good shape, however the workers were trained union members. So the Liberal government in its rush to kill the union, built a big new facility a mile and a half up hill from the old building. In the mean time they let all the union member employees go. Hire all new untrained staff when they moved the old folks up hill away from the down town area. It didn't matter that the old folks didn't want to move, they were forced to go! Our hospitals here now have the worst food , so the biggest part is thrown away as inedible due to the brilliant idea of saving money on cafeteria staff, and making that slop in a central area and trucking it to hospitals. Trained hospital staff were disposed of and now our hospitals are less than clean. But by gawd no union!
Same sort of stories over here, but it wasn't as a result of the provincial gov't; it was the ASSinine (deliberately misspelled that) health authorities that make the pathetic decisions. The gov't basically just says, "Here's some money. Now toddle off and play with it".

Anyway, neither the hippy X yuppie who is running for the Dippers, the ex-bartender that's running for the Glibs, nor the Greenie's tree-hugger gets my vote.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is why I'm voting for a young (29) independent with balls and chutzpah. This kid has energy and commitment to rock the house. I think more people should vote independent. The more the merrier. I really want to see a minority government.

Are the balls and chutzpah part of the entree, or do you have to order them separately?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I will be supporting the New Democrats this time round as I want a voice that is heard.
The problem with independents is they are not heard it is how the system works. The
Liberals have done all they can to pave the way for their corporate friends to remove
and sell what they want and leave you with the bill for export.
I want to sell things to parts of the world too, its just I want to see finished goods leave
the country not raw resources.
In addition I don't want the Natural Gas going to countries that we are competing with for
jobs and industry. Enough of this free trade, we own the resources that everyone needs.
Therefore we should set the terms to our own advantage. We hear oh we can't do that we
live in a global village and so on. At the same time these governments that can't do a thing
are able to set embargo's on nations they deem a threat or don't like their politics.
Cuba, one example. North Korea and Iran two others. In the case of North Korea and Iran.
These are two out of control States yes, but at the same time we invest in China and build
them up. China is a nasty piece of work with real power and they are a real threat but we
continue to look the other way. Don't read the Greed Meter and it will be alright.
The first world has the resources and the economic clout and we should do what we need to
to ensure we are not flooded with cheap goods and cheap labour at the expense of our
standard of living. The Liberals can fudge the polls and do what ever they want desperate
people do desperate things, but in the end they are toast I do believe.
Oh and no I am not of the belief they NDP is perfect not by a long shot its just they are in my
mind the best choice for the current situation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I will be supporting the New Democrats this time round as I want a voice that is heard.
The problem with independents is they are not heard it is how the system works. The
Liberals have done all they can to pave the way for their corporate friends to remove
and sell what they want and leave you with the bill for export.
I want to sell things to parts of the world too, its just I want to see finished goods leave
the country not raw resources.
In addition I don't want the Natural Gas going to countries that we are competing with for
jobs and industry. Enough of this free trade, we own the resources that everyone needs.
Therefore we should set the terms to our own advantage. We hear oh we can't do that we
live in a global village and so on. At the same time these governments that can't do a thing
are able to set embargo's on nations they deem a threat or don't like their politics.
Cuba, one example. North Korea and Iran two others. In the case of North Korea and Iran.
These are two out of control States yes, but at the same time we invest in China and build
them up. China is a nasty piece of work with real power and they are a real threat but we
continue to look the other way. Don't read the Greed Meter and it will be alright.
The first world has the resources and the economic clout and we should do what we need to
to ensure we are not flooded with cheap goods and cheap labour at the expense of our
standard of living. The Liberals can fudge the polls and do what ever they want desperate
people do desperate things, but in the end they are toast I do believe.
Oh and no I am not of the belief they NDP is perfect not by a long shot its just they are in my
mind the best choice for the current situation.

Doesn't free trade work two ways? As far as Independents go, it depends a bit on the "scope" of your vote. Are you voting for what you think is best for province or for what is best in your constituency? If you are voting for the best for the province, I believe you are stuck with partizan voting, BUT you might be biting off more than you can chew? Maybe we should just be concentrating locally and if everyone gets that right then the province should prosper. So I think if you have a candidate who is Independent who is recognized for being a leader and mover and shaker locally, then he might have as much influence as anyone else and he probably has a smaller chance of being a crook.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
B.C. election poll: Liberals catching up on NDP | Canada | News | National Post

'According to the poll, conducted by Forum Research following Monday night’s leadership debate, the NDP has a four-point lead over the Liberals, 39% to 35%. The Greens have the support of 12%, while the Conservatives are at 9%, according to Forum.

The poll asked respondents – 1,055 randomly selected BC residents of voting age – how they will vote. Its margin of error rests at plus or minus 3%, 19 times out of 20.'

Ooooooh............just over a thousand citizens polled and all of a sudden the Libs are catching up? Bet the NDP are shaking in their boots..........NOT!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
B.C. election poll: Liberals catching up on NDP | Canada | News | National Post

'According to the poll, conducted by Forum Research following Monday night’s leadership debate, the NDP has a four-point lead over the Liberals, 39% to 35%. The Greens have the support of 12%, while the Conservatives are at 9%, according to Forum.

The poll asked respondents – 1,055 randomly selected BC residents of voting age – how they will vote. Its margin of error rests at plus or minus 3%, 19 times out of 20.'

Ooooooh............just over a thousand citizens polled and all of a sudden the Libs are catching up? Bet the NDP are shaking in their boots..........NOT!

Yeah, they generally tighten up as election day nears. I think Christy has a bit of an up hill battle on her hands, it all hinges on what the undecideds do, I think. I think with Christy what you see is what you get, with Dixie Cup, who knows? Maybe this time there will be a decent turnout. I'm still in a bit of a quandary as who to vote for. We have no Independents here so maybe I won't bother.

I wonder how equally all parts of the province are questioned for these polls. Looks to me the results are predicted from a sampling of the popular vote. Not sure how well that works. There's 85 seats, is every seat represented by the same number of questionees?

Polls are like the Astrology parts of the newspaper, good for the bottoms of birdcages.
JMO

And how many people tell the pollster exactly how they are going to vote? I emailed a list of questions to all the candidates here, but haven't got answers from any, one invited me to arrange a meeting in his office, One told me to read their platform, and I haven't heard boo from the other. So I'm about as enthusiastic as they are!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
[/FONT][/FONT]

Yeah, they generally tighten up as election day nears. I think Christy has a bit of an up hill battle on her hands, it all hinges on what the undecideds do, I think. I think with Christy what you see is what you get, with Dixie Cup, who knows? Maybe this time there will be a decent turnout. I'm still in a bit of a quandary as who to vote for. We have no Independents here so maybe I won't bother.

I wonder how equally all parts of the province are questioned for these polls. Looks to me the results are predicted from a sampling of the popular vote. Not sure how well that works. There's 85 seats, is every seat represented by the same number of questionees?

And how many people tell the pollster exactly how they are going to vote? I emailed a list of questions to all the candidates here, but haven't got answers from any, one invited me to arrange a meeting in his office, One told me to read their platform, and I haven't heard boo from the other. So I'm about as enthusiastic as they are!

I belong to Voice of the West forum. I got an invitation to an election poll the other day. I broke out laughing at a couple of the questions. Both had to do with the Liberals and the Canucks. The first asked whether I was more interested in the upcoming election or the fortunes of the Canucks. The second was who had the better chance - the Canucks winning the Cup or the Liberals the election. Both were dead easy to answer and neither favored the Libs. LOL! Funniest poll I've ever filled out. Oh and .........I am a Pens fan. :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Tonight is all candidates forum in Nakusp. I hope I can blow the doors off all of them with my question. It is too hot a potato for any of them to answer (except maybe our independent). The answers, if they do answer, will be wildly amusing at best. I love guerrilla theater. Hoping to expose the sleaze balls and con artists.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Tonight is all candidates forum in Nakusp. I hope I can blow the doors off all of them with my question. It is too hot a potato for any of them to answer (except maybe our independent). The answers, if they do answer, will be wildly amusing at best. I love guerrilla theater. Hoping to expose the sleaze balls and con artists.

Don't keep us in suspenders Cliffy! -:)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Don't keep us in suspenders Cliffy! -:)
What I wanted to know is if and what any of them would do to rectify the wrongful extinction of the Sinixt people and the injustice of giving Sinixt land just south of Nakusp to the Ktunaxa people of Creston. The Liberals dumped this bomb shell on us out of the blue two weeks ago. It is an interim agreement in advance of a land settlement with the Ktunaxa (Kootenai). Both the NDP and our independent reps were as outraged about it as I am.

I tried to get a link of a letter I published in our local papers but their set up won't let me put in a link. I would have to post the whole letter. I would if anybody is interested.