BC's Carbon Tax A Success

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A carbon tax may be a controversial topic in the United States, but in one Canadian province, this eight-year-old policy has been such a success that on Wednesday more than 100 businesses said they support a tax increase.

In a letter addressed to Premier Christy Clark, who governs the province of British Columbia, more than 150 companies said they back a plan to increase the carbon tax by $10 — about $7.70 U.S. — per metric ton a year starting in July 2018, an idea the government-sponsored Climate Leadership Team unveiled earlier this year.

Since 2007 British Columbia has been setting greenhouse gas reduction targets based on findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world’s most respected authority on the subject. Four years after introducing the first carbon tax in North America in 2008, British Columbia froze the tax rates at 2012 levels to allow other provinces to catch up. However, that freeze could be lifted under a new Climate Leadership Plan that could be approved this spring.

more

British Columbia's Carbon Tax Has Been So Successful That Businesses Want To Increase It | ThinkProgress

• Sad
Reactions: Dixie Cup

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Carbon tax is a scam. It unfairly targets rural residents that do not have access to NG or public transit but must travel long distances for necessities. But it does buy votes in the cities where the gullible live.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
On the upside, I imagine the companies tack on at least ten bucks extra for every ten bucks of carbon tax, and call it "passing on the cost to consumers." It's a great scam.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Best marketing gimick I ever saw. Make the unwashed feel good about paying a tax. Cause somehow they actually think this is helping the environment.

smallandmighty

Nominee Member
May 12, 2013
108 Mile Ranch BC
Carbon tax is a scam. It unfairly targets rural residents that do not have access to NG or public transit but must travel long distances for necessities. But it does buy votes in the cities where the gullible live.
one never thought of this. It is something to consider. Also heard that Pony Boy wants to end wood burning stoves!!!
That would not work for these many people who live in outlying areas of BC that have no access to any other way to heat a home. Wood burning into the air is not hazardous. I agree about the gullible, but they live everywhere...even in the remote areas. Tree huggers..lol.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What a load of Liberal Government propaganda.

Success how exactly? I don't consider lining the pockets of special interest a success. I suppose they do, but I'm not seeing the advantage to environmental agendas other than sucking more money out the average citizens wallet.

one never thought of this. It is something to consider. Also heard that Pony Boy wants to end wood burning stoves!!!
That would not work for these many people who live in outlying areas of BC that have no access to any other way to heat a home. Wood burning into the air is not hazardous. I agree about the gullible, but they live everywhere...even in the remote areas. Tree huggers..lol.

Wood Burning? There is no wood burning in BC or anywhere else, just ask Bar Sinister.
He can show you a graph and everything.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What a load of Liberal Government propaganda.
Well, it does make a change from Conservative Government propaganda.

Success how exactly? I don't consider lining the pockets of special interest a success.
If you were a special interest, you would.

I suppose they do, but I'm not seeing the advantage to environmental agendas other than sucking more money out the average citizens wallet.
Well, the less money they have, the less EEE-vil polluting technology they can buy and operate.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
A job sapping burden on any industrial economy.. especially for a completely fabricated threat like AGW. The BC government is just as gullible and incompetent as that of the Federal Liberals. I honestly think this might be the last hurrah for Liberal Party.

They are all corroded and rotten with New Age sophistry (especially the idols of the Feminism, Homosexuality, radical environmentalism and other outgrowths of the Culture of Death) and are failing catastrophically in economic management in BC, Quebec, Ontario and Federally.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A carbon tax may be a controversial topic in the United States, but in one Canadian province, this eight-year-old policy has been such a success that on Wednesday more than 100 businesses said they support a tax increase.

In a letter addressed to Premier Christy Clark, who governs the province of British Columbia, more than 150 companies said they back a plan to increase the carbon tax by $10 — about $7.70 U.S. — per metric ton a year starting in July 2018, an idea the government-sponsored Climate Leadership Team unveiled earlier this year.

Since 2007 British Columbia has been setting greenhouse gas reduction targets based on findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world’s most respected authority on the subject. Four years after introducing the first carbon tax in North America in 2008, British Columbia froze the tax rates at 2012 levels to allow other provinces to catch up. However, that freeze could be lifted under a new Climate Leadership Plan that could be approved this spring.

more

British Columbia's Carbon Tax Has Been So Successful That Businesses Want To Increase It | ThinkProgress

Of course. User-pay taxes usually do work better due to built-in incentive.

Common sense.

User-pay. You use more road too.

So what are stopping ruralites from congregating in small high-density towns? What? Y'all hate each other out there? Never heard of underarm deodorant?

A job sapping burden on any industrial economy.. especially for a completely fabricated threat like AGW. The BC government is just as gullible and incompetent as that of the Federal Liberals. I honestly think this might be the last hurrah for Liberal Party.

They are all corroded and rotten with New Age sophistry (especially the idols of the Feminism, Homosexuality, radical environmentalism and other outgrowths of the Culture of Death) and are failing catastrophically in economic management in BC, Quebec, Ontario and Federally.

I support neither abortion nor gay marriage, but do support user-pay.

Even if we ignore global warming, what about road construction and maintenance? What about asthma care? Carbon tax works there.

Of course a cigarette tax can also go towards asthma care, but the principle of user oay is the same.

What, anyone who supports a cigarette tax is gay promotes abortion too now?

Ever heard of the non sequitur?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is it the tax that's the scam or is it the way it's being spent that is the scam? My philosophy says that polluters should pay a levy to be siphoned off to those who leave a small "footprint".

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
British Columbia doesn't have a Conservative Party.

Actually we do. But they are somewhat right of wally.

I expect they are a bit too far left for coldstream though.

Is it the tax that's the scam or is it the way it's being spent that is the scam? My philosophy says that polluters should pay a levy to be siphoned off to those who leave a small "footprint".

Both. Campbell brought it in to buy the green vote a couple of elections back. But rural areas have no options but oil because we do not have access to NG. Or public transit, which we subsidize for city folk with our increased carbon taxes. We must also travel long distances both to shop and take care of health concerns.