BC Forest Fires

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Alder aka birch? Of course. Birch is gorgeous wood. It's a bitch on tools being so course but it's beautiful wood.

Different specie!

"As nouns the difference between birch and alder
is that birch is any of various trees of the genus betula , native to countries in the northern hemisphere while alder is any of several trees or shrubs of the genus alnus , belonging to the birch family".

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Alder aka birch? Of course. Birch is gorgeous wood. It's a bitch on tools being so course but it's beautiful wood.
I like working poplar. It has a nice, even grain, it's good and strong and it looks good. Birch is very similar.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Did I hear somewhere that Alder is being used now in the construction of furniture? Or was I having a senior's moment?
Cutting strips of heartwood and reassembling them into furniture is becoming popular of course the end product is 40+% glue but who's counting.

I can't imagine someone being So Ignorant they didn't know the difference between Alder & Birch.

Live & Learn I guess.

Also Alder is commonly called 'Poplar' in rural redneck Canada.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Cutting strips of heartwood and reassembling them into furniture is becoming popular of course the end product is 40+% glue but who's counting.
I can't imagine someone being So Ignorant they didn't know the difference between Alder & Birch.
Live & Learn I guess.
They're not the same species but they are clearly relatives.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Live & Learn I guess.

Your education is sadly lacking, I actually worked? with a guy who couldn't tell a Douglas Fir from a Red Cedar. He was as useless as a cut cat.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Birch is a true hardwood. I have heard Alder is classified as a hardwood but it is soft.

Out west I have heard Alder referred to as "Swamp Ash"

I did not know it was related to Birch. I thought Birch was related to Oak.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Birch is a true hardwood. I have heard Alder is classified as a hardwood but it is soft.

Out west I have heard Alder referred to as "Swamp Ash"

I did not know it was related to Birch. I thought Birch was related to Oak.

Growing up I recognized Alder as one of the most useless of all the deciduous trees native in our area. Even as firewood it produces very few BTUs. For firewood well seasoned Arbutus is probably the best of the deciduous trees but don't get caught burning it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Growing up I recognized Alder as one of the most useless of all the deciduous trees native in our area. Even as firewood it produces very few BTUs. For firewood well seasoned Arbutus is probably the best of the deciduous trees but don't get caught burning it.
Your Western Alder is not bad for smoking.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Different specie!
"As nouns the difference between birch and alder
is that birch is any of various trees of the genus betula , native to countries in the northern hemisphere while alder is any of several trees or shrubs of the genus alnus , belonging to the birch family".
Read what you posted.

Try this:

Alder is the common name of a genus of flowering plants belonging to the birch family Betulaceae. The genus comprises about 35 species of monoecious trees and shrubs, a few reaching a large size, ... Wikipedia
Scientific name: Alnus
Family: Betulaceae
Kingdom: Plantae
Higher classification: Birch family

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For firewood alder/birch is leaps and bounds bette than poplar.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like working poplar. It has a nice, even grain, it's good and strong and it looks good. Birch is very similar.
Depends on the poplar. Black or white poplar sucks but cottonwood is decent but a again a bitch on tools. Currently I've been working with elm. Gorgeous wood with a light to dark shift in color from the sap wood to the core.

I'm having elm milled this evening into live edge slabs. Buddy has a 42" bar on his chainsaw that does up 36"

My mill will only cut to 20" with a 24" bar.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I hope you stay safe this year and every other one, for that matter. I have witnessed one gigantic forest fire in the Yukon and it was immense and unstoppable. All that you can reasonably do is to get out of it's way, I guess.
Thank you, CC. We all hope for the same this year. The majority of us here are taking proactive measures such as clearing brush, limbing dead low-hanging branches and of course, making sure that all the current bans are being adhered too.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Some people out here like alder for fire wood. It has about the same heating value as any other wood out here. I like it small when you don't have to split it. It produces a lot of ash for some reason.

The only wood I find any different out here is hemlock which is wet and weighs about twice what anything else does and doesn't have any more heating value. Hard to split too. So is alder.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Some people out here like alder for fire wood. It has about the same heating value as any other wood out here. I like it small when you don't have to split it. It produces a lot of ash for some reason.

The only wood I find any different out here is hemlock which is wet and weighs about twice what anything else does and doesn't have any more heating value. Hard to split too. So is alder.

Congratulations, you are finally correct about one thing. Hemlock has to be one of the ugliest woods, heavy, flared butts. Douglas Fir probably rates the highest as far as BTUs are concerned.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I believe just about any wood growing BC has the same BTU value.

Yew may be an exception.

But even if you plant an eastern chestnut or birch here it is a soft wood when it is grown.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Question: Are deciduous patches of forest that are cut down in BC replaced with deciduous trees, or faster growing fir trees for the forestry industry?