Are delicatessans a ripoff?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?
I've been boycotting deli's for years. We make our own sausage and cured meats. The initial cost, is paid off in no time.

Not to mention, you can choose the cuts you wish to use, the beef or pork you prefer, be it organic or whatever. And wild game only makes it that much better.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've been boycotting deli's for years. We make our own sausage and cured meats. The initial cost, is paid off in no time.

Not to mention, you can choose the cuts you wish to use, the beef or pork you prefer, be it organic or whatever. And wild game only makes it that much better.

:smile::smile: I hear you. I kind of thought this is something the public at large may want to take a closer look at. You hear so much about how people are struggling financially, which doesn't hold a lot of water, when they can squander $9 a lb. to make a sandwich.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Typically, the meat you buy at the deli counter is ready to eat. It's not always wise to buy a roast and slice off a bit to eat, although it is possible.

Any time you pay someone else to cook your food, you are paying more than if you do it yourself.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

How about you just eat according to what you find to be healthy for you? Occasional deli meats are neither outlandishly expensive, nor are they overly unhealthy. If they are how you're trying to get your 8 ounces of meat in a day, then I can see where you'd run into an issue, but a sandwich here and there shouldn't be a big deal. I see no reason to boycott something that is fine in moderation, both price wise and health wise.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Anybody can make anything at home for a lot cheaper than a deli but people still go to deli's.

Deli's are impulse buys at grocery stores and the cost is that much because most people are willing to pay that much

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Typically, the meat you buy at the deli counter is ready to eat. It's not always wise to buy a roast and slice off a bit to eat, although it is possible.

QUOTE]

Why is that?

it's raw... he's pointing out that you're paying for cooking, seasoning, etc., as well. A roast is cheaper, but, you have to invest time and energy in cooking it before you can compare it to deli meats.

BTW.... delicatessen's are much cheaper than restaurants, and when hubby travels he manages to save a LOT of money by frequenting them. So, rip off is a matter of perspective.

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
No doubt they are a rip off but the quality of meat in the prepackaged section leaves much to be desired.

Such a beautiful bouquet of various additives can be normally found in deli meats and poultry - NaNO2, C6H7NaO6, C10H12O5, phosphates, MSG, BHT, BHA, a whole bunch of enzymes added to soften deli meats, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers...
I personally never buy it, I love cooking, so sometimes I make deli myself (slightly to medium smoked whole cut meats, poultry, or fish), this kind of food isn't very healthy though, but it doesn't hurt to have a small piece of it from time to time. It's tasty, after all!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anybody can make anything at home for a lot cheaper than a deli but people still go to deli's.

Deli's are impulse buys at grocery stores and the cost is that much because most people are willing to pay that much

No doubt but are these the same people who are complaining about being cash strapped or amazed at their cholesterol level? A lot of that meat is spiced to the hilt to prevent it from getting more rotten than it already is. :lol:

Sаbine;1290325 said:
Such a beautiful bouquet of various additives can be normally found in deli meats and poultry - NaNO2, C6H7NaO6, C10H12O5, phosphates, MSG, BHT, BHA, a whole bunch of enzymes added to soften deli meats, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers...
I personally never buy it, I love cooking, so sometimes I make deli myself (slightly to medium smoked whole cut meats, poultry, or fish), this kind of food isn't very healthy though, but it doesn't hurt to have a small piece of it from time to time. It's tasty, after all!

Wise you are. :smile:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There is no prepackaged meat here in Germany, or very little at the grocery stores I go to. So I always have to ask for whatever I want at the counter.

On the plus side, they have an amazing selection of sausage.

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
I have an impression that in grocery stores, everything unsold and approached its expiration date (meats, poultry, fish) is processed, roasted, or smoked, basically to convert these ready to rot products into deli foods.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sаbine;1290361 said:
I have an impression that in grocery stores, everything unsold and approached its expiration date (meats, poultry, fish) is processed, roasted, or smoked, basically to convert these ready to rot products into deli foods.

That would take a ridiculous amount of effort on the part of sandwich meat manufacturers. None of our sandwich meats (which is what JLM was mainly addressing), are made at the grocer. They are bought elsewhere. Meat that's borderline usually just gets marked down and snatched up by people who know they'll cook it that same day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
JLM. If you like cold cuts go buy a whole salami in the meat dept and take it to the deli counter and they will slice it for you saving you even more on nitrate meats.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM. If you like cold cuts go buy a whole salami in the meat dept and take it to the deli counter and they will slice it for you saving you even more on nitrate meats.

My preferences are good head cheese and good summer sausage (Hickory farms is a good brand of summer sausage and worth the price.) Most head cheese has too much gelatin for my liking.

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
That would take a ridiculous amount of effort on the part of sandwich meat manufacturers. None of our sandwich meats (which is what JLM was mainly addressing), are made at the grocer. They are bought elsewhere. Meat that's borderline usually just gets marked down and snatched up by people who know they'll cook it that same day.

I see. But what do they do with a meat product if it's still unsold? I just cannot believe they would simply discard it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sаbine;1290377 said:
I see. But what do they do with a meat product if it's still unsold? I just cannot believe they would simply discard it.

It's cheaper to discard it than face action if they make someone sick, or risk being shut down altogether.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My preferences are good head cheese and good summer sausage (Hickory farms is a good brand of summer sausage and worth the price.) Most head cheese has too much gelatin for my liking.
I love a good head cheese too. Make your own. It's not that hard at all. If boiling hocks isn't your thing just use a box of Knox.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I don't know if I'd agree about the boycotting part.

Afterall, if you ask the right questions you might just find what you are looking for. I did, I found Piri Piri Chicken. It's yummy, some spice.. and the calories on it are so much less than on like Roasted Ham, and so on. they estimate roughly 15 calories per slice.

It's healthy as far as i'm concerned.