Anti-war crowd are demoralizing our troops.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Supporting the troops is a non-issue. Most Canadians support the troops even those who oppose the mission in Afghanistan.

Examples of support for the troops:

Canadian troops should be properly trained and equipped before going into dangerous areas.
Soldier's families should be taken care of while they are abroad.
Injured soldiers should get the best medical attention.
Disabled soldiers should be rehabilatated and compensated.
Veterans should be honored for their sacrifices.

I doubt many people for or agains the mission in Afghanistan would oppose the above.

Supporting the troops is one issue. Supporting their mission is another.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I've said this before. "Support Our Troops" is meaningless. No one wants our troops to die. They start this "Support Our Troops" campaign to divert from the real question, do you support the mission. Once you start questioning the mission, you get loonies ranting "you don’t support our troops!!" It's bs. That’s why Sassylassie hates university educated people. They question things, want to know the facts. They don’t fall for the black and white, either your with us or against us, crap.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
You tried to rebute tomaska with a pro soldier group, that is against the WAR, not the soldiers.

Precisely, goofy. The point of this thread is that, somehow, anyone who opposes the war is automatically against the troops. This is the same bush**** that was said during the Vietnam war. The fact is that we who oppose this war support the troops by demanding that they be brought home. And that is what that group wants as well. If your mind wasn't so clouded by the stink pit where you keep your pea brain you would understood that right away.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I've said this before. "Support Our Troops" is meaningless. No one wants our troops to die. They start this "Support Our Troops" campaign to divert from the real question, do you support the mission. Once you start questioning the mission, you get loonies ranting "you don’t support our troops!!" It's bs. That’s why Sassylassie hates university educated people. They question things, want to know the facts. They don’t fall for the black and white, either your with us or against us, crap.

As always, she is free to enlist and to fight the war if she feels it is so righteous but it's a good bet she and others of her "elk" won't do so.

I have mentioned before that while I opposed the Vietnam war I offered to enlist but failed the medical exam because of a cardiac condition. At that time I probably weighed less than she does today. Even though I opposed war, I was willing to fight. So let's see the other "heroes" do the same here by putting up or by shutting the f*ck up.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)

Bingo there we go we have a winner. Nothing is ever black and white, and anything who believes everything is black and white is just a plain

MORON

did I write it big enough for the one's that see in black and white.

Also, that is the vision of dogs, they can't see colour they can only see black and white so you should go and have that checked out. You don't want dog vision.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Sure Gonso a bus full of 19 year old Uni Students who live off the tax payers funded Education system are saving lives. That article was bang on, a bunch of no-it-alls who don't know what it's like to be cold, hungry, raped, widowed, orphaned, no home, a Imam who decides if you are Muslim enough. The pot at Uni must be strong these day.

Bear and Tamaska I don't take these people seriously, nor do our troops. How can we, they are babies who know nothing of this world. A wise man once told me you are born a Liberal but we always die a Conservative. Like I said a wise man is Zoofer.

No, not really. Explain most leftist people.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
First off, university is very expensive. People who go are not living off of tax payers.
Being cold, hungry, raped, widowed, orphaned, happens alot when your country is a war zone. After all this time, Afghanistan is no better. It's worse.
And if you say that soldiers dont take protesters seriously, then why is this thread called "Anti war crowd are demoralizing our troops"?

Very good point. Another contradiction. Just like all right wing things. We azre there to support democracy, we are there to do this, Iraq had WMD.

First off, Afghanistan is not a democracy since there are many warlords in control outside of Kabul. Now, I don't have any problems with Karzai he is a good man but when 60% of the parliment is filled with drug lords, war lords, war ciminals, and others that is not a democracy.

They had regional fighting that killed 40 people not connected to the Taliban. The Islamic watchdog that enforced woman's burka and all that jaz under the Taliban is back in power with the same rules as before.

We are in because the American's told us to go in. And besides our military had gotten tired of protecting things, they like shooting things. Good old Sgt. Plante told me that.

Also he said if you go over to Afghanistan and have an injuried Afghani Taliban or suspected Taliban, shoot him. Which seems to have occured recently in that operation where foreign troops in a heavily Canadian zone shot a civilian execution style. Maybe, Canadian maybe not.

Also, Sgt. Plante is a recruiter at CFB Shilo.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Careful Researcher87. I know it’s tempting to quote people you know who are actually in the service. I’ve felt wanting to do that myself but you could get such people in trouble.

‘Honesty’ from soldiers, when it’s unflattering to government policies tends to be said in confidence. Soldiers, if anything, are suppose to appear neutral or pro government policy. It is not there job to show conflict with authority. Only to serve.

That is why you don’t get soldiers mouthing off in front of the cameras. They say stuff like, “I support the Commander and Chief.” because regardless of what they actually believe or feel, saying this is simply a defacto of their service. If they don’t say it with much enthusiasm, that is usually the telling truth.

Neither are they suppose to march in peace rallies which is why when it does happen, it is a veteran of the war who is willing to place his/her conscience in front despite a possible backlash from his mates. Regardless of the sentiment to a war there tend to be a protectiveness by soldiers of what they feel they have done (because they hold their uniform with such pride) and of not tarnishing the idea of their service.

The military of a country could go to war on nothing but lies and the resulting deaths of innocents, and I bet the families of soldiers who lost their lives will only see nothing but gold in their son’s or daughter’s achievements. It is too painful for families to go through such a loss, any loss, having sacrificed their child, and then having to believe that such loss was on a lie, or in vain, or unjust, or that their child was a tool of a lot of needless deaths.

One thing however about military not being critical of policy, the latrine can be a different story. I remember one article where a group of journalists, who obviously were getting nothing from the troops, looked into one place where freedom of speech didn’t appear suppressed. The latrine.

In there were all sorts of unflattering statements regarding their situation. A lot of frustration and anger and stuff penned like, “I just took a Rumsfeld.”

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LMAO that is some wild BS right there- so I guess we (folks who think the war is a sham and a joke) will be rounded up as "Illegal Enemy combatants" soon for trying to kill the troops in Afghanistan???

TOTALLY ridiculous. If there's enough boneheads willing to leave our troop contingent there til there's none left, then some sort of "god" construct is the only thing that's gonna save them, since apparently it is now in vogue to criticize those who would end the farcical "mission" before we lose anymore lives as being the "Killers" of our men (which is weird, I don't know if it's exactly Irony, but isn't wanting the troops OUT of the way of possible pointless death sorta of trying to keep them alive??)

WOW that's a good one- BTW I don't support any party currently, so keep that in mind while you try to paint me as whatever

OH PUL-LEASE! Spare me!

People have a right to disagree about Afghanistan, peace protesters have every right to march peacefully in protest. NOWHERE in that article do you see anything denying that, threatening that, or even arguing against the correctness of that right.........

Getting a little hysterical aren't you?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Or do we wait for bad people to die of old age and hope that new ones don't take their place

I cannot speak for Canada but can do so for the USA. One of its foundational prinicples was no interventionism in foreign wars or conflicts. Our involvement in Afghanistan contravenes that principle and is violative of USA interests.

If interventionism is favorable to Canada's interests, then fine. It is likely that someone else will pose a question about how or why such interventionism in Pakistan, Chechnya, or Sudan is not similarly favorable but I'll allow some Canadian to post such a challenge for your consideration.

EXCUSE ME?

Have you forgotten?

You were ATTACKED!

GOOD LORD!

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Absolutely. This is NOT a "over there" war..It's was brought over here. And before anyone says somethig stupid like the American's asked for it etc, please remember that the people hit were office workers, cleaners, white , black and yellow, sectular, Christian, muslim and Jew.

And why did it happen, because a rich Saudi decided to become all powerful and us his religion to his own means. Then had a nation (Afghanastan) support his efforts and protect his interests. Thats why we went there..Thats why even Canada went there!!

I agree that there is a problem now and we may end up leaving with our tails curled up but I thing we are, were right to go there and the people who went should be supported no matter what your political feeling is.

How many of you would head to a extremely dangerous situation just because your country asked? The did, and do and for that we should all be grateful, If it wasn't for their Grandfathers doing the same in the 1940's we may not all be here typing away about whatever we feel in our comfy warm homes.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
You were ATTACKED!

And the government was deposed even though the action was done by a cult within its borders. Once done, there was no further need for occupation or for conflict.

The idea was to bring OBL to justice. And what happened? Bush alowed him to escape at Tora Bora. Bush even said that he no longer thinks about him. Meanwhile the drug trade is ever growing and that's what the CIA wanted all along.

Of course, if you want that war you are free to enlist but it's a good bet you won't do so.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
This article is spot on, Layton and his brigade are a stain on Canada and her proud history. These same cry babies who want our troops out of Afghanistan are the first to scream when we don't help war torn countries. It must be painful being that two faced. For those protesting contact DRL and see if they have any buses available for free?

Anti-war crowd work to demoralize Canadian troops in Afghanistan

By Judi McLeod
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Canadian troops in Afghanistan share the same fate as their American counterparts when it comes to criticism laced with second-guessing by the far left.
In the US, troops have Queen of the Blame America First crowd, Cindy Sheehan.
In Canada, troops have New Democrat Party leader Jack Layton, who continues to use our courageous soldiers to score political points.
Organizers are working to arrange free buses at Canadian university campuses for the "Canada Out of Afghanistan" rally and march taking place October 28 in Toronto.
"We are outraged that the Canadian Armed Forces, who are currently involved in an ill-thought out American-led occupation of Afghanistan, should be allowed to recruit on our campus. We don't want our school to be involved in an unjust war," explained Trent University counter-recruiter Daniel Bastien.
Not only do the activists feel that Canada's involvement in the war is wrong, but they also point out that Canadian lives are being needlessly sacrificed. Since 2002, 43 Canadians have been killed in Afghanistan.
"We support our troops by working to bring them out of a needless and perilous situation." ( www.infoshop.org, Oct. 18, 2006).
Anti-war activists never mention that the troops, by and large comprised of volunteers, do not want to be rescued from something they believe in.
Anti-war activists also come on like experts and claim to speak out on behalf of the entire Afghani civilian population.
Trent University's counter-recruiters feel that Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan is counter-productive. The turmoil being created by the invasion is doing nothing to help improve the lives of everyday Afghanis, and is encouraging people to turn to "terrorist" in anger against the brutal "War on Terror".
In Canada, the anti-war crowd turns to Layton as its patron saint.
"Certain sectors of Canadian society are voicing their opposition to the war. NDP leader Jack Layton is on record saying that diplomatic engagement would be more fruitful than brute force. As well, the October 28 "Canada Out of Afghanistan" pan-national day of action has been called for by the Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Islamic Council, the Collectif Echec a la Guerre, and the Canadian Peace Alliance. Tens of thousands of people are expected to demonstrate that day."
Of course, it's easy for career politicians like Layton to criticize troops from the safety of his comfy home and office, mega miles from anything where he would have to take a real stand.
Canadian troops are too busy fighting on principle to take the time to respond to the egocentric Layton.
But Canadian soldier Josh Forbes wrote a poem, Ole Jack Layton-Thoughts From a Soldier dedicated to the NDP leader.You can read Josh's poem here.
The Opposition is using the troops to fight the fledgling, minority Steven Harper-led Conservative Government.
It was the Jean Chretien-led Liberal Government that quietly sent Canadian troops to Afghanistan on Oct. 8. 2001. And when the Liberal Government sent Canadian troops to fight the dreaded Taliban, the silence from the Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Islamic Council, the Collectif Echec a la Guerre, and the Canadian Peace Alliance was deafening.
Meanwhile, Jack Layton and the groups he represents owe something to Canadian troops fighting the Taliban: Sincere support.
God bless all troops protecting the rest of us in harm's way

Then this quote apply to this article, and to those who believe in this stupid war.

""""Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."""

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

People like you sassylassie, will never learn from history, just never.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
bUT THE U.S WAS ATTACHED!!!

THEREFORE RIGHTFULLY SO THEY AND WE SHOULD HAVE ENTERED AFGHANASTAN.

HOWEVER IRAQ IS ANOTHER STORY, SADAM WAS NO SAINT AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN OUT THE 1ST TIME, WITH THAT SAID THERE WAS NO WAY TOO LINK HIM WITH 9/11 BUT THE MACHINE WENT IN GEAR AND HAPPILER TROTTED OFF TO STOP THE ENEMY..THEY WERE WRONG.

BUT THE TROOPS ARE NOT..THEY ARE TO GO WHEN TOLD AND THEY DID..THEY SHOULD BE SUPPORTED THEM, THERE FAMILIES, KIDS, ETC.

I DON'T LIKE THE LIBERALS BUT I DON'T STOP SUPPORTING THE NATION WHEN THEY ARE IN POWER!!!

OPPS EXCUSE THE CAPS LOCK...JUST NOTICED HAHAHA

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
What a ridiculous article.

First of all, I would hope that the author would have a little more respect for Canada's soldiers than to depict them as six year old snivelling snot-nosed brats who start bawling when they learn that not everyone thinks that they should be there. These are soldiers, and they damn well aren't going to roll over and play dead because of a few words. If you signed up for the military under the presumption that no one in Canada would object to you going to war - then you're too stupid for the military anyway.

Secondly, when it comes to supporting the troops, it would seem that some of us support putting them in harm's way and some of us support bringing them home. Who would you rather have in your corner?

And just what precisely do you expect Canadians to do if they don't agree with the war. Are we supposed to 'say something nice or not say anythign at all'. Shall we silence all criticism of the war?

Will it be demoralizing to the troops for us to vote for a party that wants to get them out of there? Perhaps we should suspend the democratic process as well, so that we don't risk hurting the feelings of the troops. Of course, we'll still have an election - but only those parties that fully support the war will be eligible to run.

In order to end this war, voices need to be heard to influence public opinion, to influence voters, to influence politicians - that is how democracy works. If you don't like it, I'm sure all the people here can chip in and give you a one way ticket to Saudi Arabia so that you can be ordered to be patriotic under penalty of death.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
What a ridiculous article.

First of all, I would hope that the author would have a little more respect for Canada's soldiers than to depict them as six year old snivelling snot-nosed brats who start bawling when they learn that not everyone thinks that they should be there. These are soldiers, and they damn well aren't going to roll over and play dead because of a few words. If you signed up for the military under the presumption that no one in Canada would object to you going to war - then you're too stupid for the military anyway.

Secondly, when it comes to supporting the troops, it would seem that some of us support putting them in harm's way and some of us support bringing them home. Who would you rather have in your corner?

And just what precisely do you expect Canadians to do if they don't agree with the war. Are we supposed to 'say something nice or not say anythign at all'. Shall we silence all criticism of the war?

Will it be demoralizing to the troops for us to vote for a party that wants to get them out of there? Perhaps we should suspend the democratic process as well, so that we don't risk hurting the feelings of the troops. Of course, we'll still have an election - but only those parties that fully support the war will be eligible to run.

In order to end this war, voices need to be heard to influence public opinion, to influence voters, to influence politicians - that is how democracy works. If you don't like it, I'm sure all the people here can chip in and give you a one way ticket to Saudi Arabia so that you can be ordered to be patriotic under penalty of death.

How can you be so in the box in your thinking. It's about a supporting a group of people doing a horrendous job. They do the best with what they have and are asked to do. The Army would come home if told to do so, and stay if told to do so..thats there job. Unless you are sure we should disband the military and cross our fingers we should be glad these guys are willing to do this job.

Should we not support police since sometimes they shoot people, or pull them all off the street if one gets killed? We expect them to get out there the next day and do the job we pay them to do. The rest of us may wish there were no need for them at all but know that time is not now.

I do not support politicians using them for personal power....I don't even know who we will ever get out of Afghanastan, but I for sure support the people and the families that have to struggle with their lives, families and maybe death to do a job!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
jariax wrote: Will it be demoralizing to the troops for us to vote for a party that wants to get them out of there? Perhaps we should suspend the democratic process as well, so that we don't risk hurting the feelings of the troops. Of course, we'll still have an election - but only those parties that fully support the war will be eligible to run.

Please by all means practice your Democratic right to protest, Layton is being scorned by half of Canada for his spineless demeaner, the fact that he's using the Troops to gain support from the peaceniks doesn't surprise me like most cowards he's hiding behind the protesters. Hide away Jackie boy, we can smell your fear before we see ya. Protest away, I need a good laugh these days.

As for the Saudia Arabia jab, well that is Osma Bin Layton's dream to visit and negotiate peace so I'll donate a dollar to the "Send Layton to the Middle East fund". Please keep him, we really don't need more cowards in Canada.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Sassy good thread, it sure brought out those few on here who showed they have no respect for the men&women serving in Afghanistan and in the entire Canadian Military because all that matters to them is spewing more Anti-American crap..

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Sassy good thread, it sure brought out those few on here who showed they have no respect for the men&women serving in Afghanistan and in the entire Canadian Military because all that matters to them is spewing more Anti-American crap..

some are so bitter are they not?? with some of the stuff on here you'd think we were talking about the "Communist Kitten killing brigade" sponsered by All American corp