Am I supposed to feel bad for these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Hard workers can't stay
Portuguese families caught in immigration crackdown
Mar. 21, 2006. 06:43 AM
PETER GORRIE
STAFF REPORTER

Illegal workers in Toronto's underground economy are being deported as the new Conservative government abandons a Liberal amnesty plan, immigration lawyers and consultants say.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...915&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Am I supposed to feel bad for this family who is getting deported after living here illegally for 6-7 years?

Okay, sure they are good people. Sure they have contributed. Sure they haven't killed or robbed anyone, but they have broken the law. I mean we have a immigration procedure, what message do we send if we allow people like this to stay? Hey, if you wanted to live in Canada then immigrate properly. They must be smoking crack if they think they'll get refugee status from Portugal.

Send the illegal bums home!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I can't see why you should feel sorry for illegal immigrants.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Most Canadians

will feel compassion for these people for the same reason that they don't let people starve. These people are being deported but we don't have to applaud their misfortune.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It's a show of politics. If you were to round up all the illegal aliens and ship them back whever they came from it would cost the government an arm and a leg. It's not possible. Legalize them so they can pay taxes.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sure...lets demonstrate to the world that we don't practice the laws we write and if you can get here...here is home.

I think not...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And when does that stop? Or when do the immigrants get the message that you don't just show up on our shores and live here as a citizen? How is granting amnesty today solve the problem for tomorrow etc?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is not meant to be racist,

but Asian illegal immigrants can dissappear into the Asian community in minutes and that community won't talk to law enforcement people. I suppose we could fingerprint all the legal immigrants and deport the ones we don't have prints for but this would be bloody difficult. I don't know if there is a simple answer.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It doesn't, it solves the problem today. Increase border security, that's all you can do. Between the court costs, legal proceedings and deportation, the money adds up, big time. In most cases when illegal immigrants are caught, they are released in a few days to go on their merry way, it happens every day Jay.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well we could change the laws so that we don't need a court and legal proceedings to deport illegal....sounds like an invention to tie up the system and make it easier for illegal to maneuver here.

Canada can't continue down the road it's on or this won't be Canada anymore...just a piece of real-estate called Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jay, not to sound antagonistic, but I would vehemently oppose any endeavours to remove the appeal or hearing process when it comes to deporting anyone from Canada (citizenship and immigration status notwithstanding).

These processes were, in my opinion, put in place to protect people from wrongful deportation — and this safeguard should, in my opinion, stay in place insofar as is possible. As for the topic post, I don't see why immigrants should be deported if they are serving the interests of the nation. Amnesty is an option with legislative effect, and I would think our Minister of Citizenship and Immigration should not feel compelled to restrain himself from using that option if the situation warrants it — our immigration policy should be a flexible one.

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But serving the interests of the nation would be not breaking immigration laws.....right?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In one sense; there are too many competing factors in immigration though, in my opinion, to assert some sort of blanket law throughout each case. Like I mentioned above (I think, lol), I think that our immigration policies in Canada should be made as effective and flexible as possible, so as to prevent beaurocracy from denying Canada good and dedicated immigrants.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ya, we probably are opposites on this topic as I think we need to tighten up immigration and use our own population to produce people rather than other nation's populations. Therefore illegal immigrants don't get a whole lot of sympathy from me.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
lol, I don't think it would be prudent attempting to come up with a compromise between our positions when we are obviously on opposite sides of the fence, lol. Nonetheless, I would think that you are likely to be far happier with the policies of the Conservative Party of Canada than I'm going to be.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
This all boils down to a question of respect. Do you respect a nation enough to obey it's laws? If you illegally enter a Country and work fraudulently for X number of years, then no, you do not. While illegal immigration is hardly in a category with murder, rape, and theft, it is still a violation of our laws. I personally feel that if someone can't apply and work through the process to enter this nation, then they don't belong here. Get out. To those that have applied, shown they respect our way of doing things, and have become a great addition to this nation, I say welcome and stay as long as you'd like.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
They are deporting an illegal imigrant family that works hard because they have to meet a quota and they don't want to get off their lazy f*ing asses and get the real illegal immigrants who commit crimes and such.

Knew the Conservatives were stupid. Getting rid of people productive to Canadian society, give them citizenship for christ sake. But I guess that is too freaking easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.