Alberta NDP promises Filipino language and culture curriculum for schools, if elected

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

This really took me by surprise. I had no idea that Filipino's were in Alberta in such huge numbers that this was a major provincial platform worth fighting an election over. You don't even see that in bc where the filipino numbers are very large. Just not what i expected to be a major issue in an Albertan election.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

This really took me by surprise. I had no idea that Filipino's were in Alberta in such huge numbers that this was a major provincial platform worth fighting an election over. You don't even see that in bc where the filipino numbers are very large. Just not what i expected to be a major issue in an Albertan election.
I don't know how many there are but when I go to Church (which isn't very often I will admit) it's mostly Filipino's that attend. Although that doesn't say much, I suspect there are more than we think. I've just never given it much thought.

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I don't know how many there are but when I go to Church (which isn't very often I will admit) it's mostly Filipino's that attend. Although that doesn't say much, I suspect there are more than we think. I've just never given it much thought.
Must be if it's deemed to be an election worthy issue. Like i said, there's a TONNE in bc with thriving communities and i've never even heard the issue raised here.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
South Asians and Filipinos are the two largest racialized groups in Alberta. South Asians represented 7.1% of Alberta's population, and Filipinos represented 5.2% of the population. Alberta has an outsized proportion of Filipinos, with more than one in five (22.6%) Filipinos in Canada living in Alberta. http://businesscouncilab.com/work/weekly-econminute-alberta-ethnocultural-diversity/

In 2021 Census, 14.4 per cent of the Saskatchewan population were visible minorities compared with 10.8 per cent in 2016. Of the visible minorities living in Saskatchewan, 28.1 per cent were South Asian, 27.5 per cent were Filipino, 14.2 per cent were black and 11.3 per cent were Chinese.

As of 2016, 3.47% of BC’s population was Filipino. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_British_Columbia
1673873838212.jpeg

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
South Asians and Filipinos are the two largest racialized groups in Alberta. South Asians represented 7.1% of Alberta's population, and Filipinos represented 5.2% of the population. Alberta has an outsized proportion of Filipinos, with more than one in five (22.6%) Filipinos in Canada living in Alberta. http://businesscouncilab.com/work/weekly-econminute-alberta-ethnocultural-diversity/

In 2021 Census, 14.4 per cent of the Saskatchewan population were visible minorities compared with 10.8 per cent in 2016. Of the visible minorities living in Saskatchewan, 28.1 per cent were South Asian, 27.5 per cent were Filipino, 14.2 per cent were black and 11.3 per cent were Chinese.

As of 2016, 3.47% of BC’s population was Filipino. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_British_Columbia
View attachment 16996
According to that bc has a higher number of Filipinos both in real numbers and as a percent of population, and yet i've never heard ANY hint of this out this way. Obviously Alberta has a lot as well, i just wonder why it's an issue there and not here. It's not like alberta's on the other side of the country or something.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
According to that bc has a higher number of Filipinos both in real numbers and as a percent of population, and yet i've never heard ANY hint of this out this way. Obviously Alberta has a lot as well, i just wonder why it's an issue there and not here. It's not like alberta's on the other side of the country or something.
The leftist party is already in power. No need to buy votes.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The leftist party is already in power. No need to buy votes.
The leftist party knows it's in a bit of trouble and is currently buying votes as fast as it possibly can, and is looking at breaking it's own election law and going to the polls this year before things get worse :) Trust me if there was ANYTHING they could promise right now that they thought would bring more people to the polls on their side they would be doing it twice.

And the weird thing is that the right probably wouldn't care. To many on the west coast it would make more sense to be teaching filipino in our classrooms than french given the population. Filipinos are well liked by the vast majority and are seen as hard workers and productive members of our community. So it's not like they'd LOSE votes doing it.

Just seems weird that its' a big deal in one community and a null issue in one right beside it.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As a percentage of the respective provincial total of the populations though?

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or high density like in Winnipeg and the Red River Valley. Youd figure the Winnipeg Catholic schoolboard would have thought of this first.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
As a percentage of the respective provincial total of the populations though?
Yeah - according to the data you posted they're 1,2 of the population in alberta and 1.8 in bc. So they're a higher percent here. (i'm reading that right aren't i?)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah - according to the data you posted they're 1,2 of the population in alberta and 1.8 in bc. So they're a higher percent here. (i'm reading that right aren't i?)
I hear you. Above it says that Filipino’s are 3.47% of BC’s population, & 5.2% of Alberta’s population.
Yes, BC has a bigger overall population than Alberta. Maybe BC’s 3.47% is physically more people than Alberta’s 5.2% but as a block in Alberta (vote wise), I can see why Alberta jumped onto this before B.C. did.

Saskatchewan’s 3.96% of its total population being Filipino is about the same (as a percentage of its total population) as BC’s. I get it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hear you. Above it says that Filipino’s are 3.47% of BC’s population, & 5.2% of Alberta’s population.

Yes, BC has a bigger overall population than Alberta. Maybe BC’s 3.47% is physically more people than Alberta’s 5.2% but as a block in Alberta (vote wise), I can see why Alberta jumped onto this before B.C. did.

Saskatchewan’s 3.96% of its total population being Filipino is about the same (as a percentage of its total population) as BC’s. I get it.
Winnipeg....

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The leftist party knows it's in a bit of trouble and is currently buying votes as fast as it possibly can, and is looking at breaking it's own election law and going to the polls this year before things get worse :) Trust me if there was ANYTHING they could promise right now that they thought would bring more people to the polls on their side they would be doing it twice.

And the weird thing is that the right probably wouldn't care. To many on the west coast it would make more sense to be teaching filipino in our classrooms than french given the population. Filipinos are well liked by the vast majority and are seen as hard workers and productive members of our community. So it's not like they'd LOSE votes doing it.

Just seems weird that its' a big deal in one community and a null issue in one right beside it.
They already speak English .

Reactions: The_Foxer

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

View attachment 16996
Has never been an issue here in Alberta so not sure why it is now. Are the NDP trying to make it one? Makes sense since they're hell bent on dividing us Nationally, why not try Provincially as well LOL (tongue in cheek as there are those who don't have a sense of humor here).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Has never been an issue here in Alberta so not sure why it is now. Are the NDP trying to make it one? Makes sense since they're hell bent on dividing us Nationally, why not try Provincially as well LOL (tongue in cheek as there are those who don't have a sense of humor here).
In 1925, Wisconsin made it illegal to teach a child German (Wisconsin's population at the time was overwhelmingly, and still is majority, German or German-descended).

Surely there's some middle ground. How about. . .

1. Teach in English and French (whichever the majority of the students speak, integrating the other after reading, writing, and ciphering).
2. Provide ESL/FSL for children who need it.
3. Let them speak Tagalog, or Russian, or Klingon, or whatthefuckever at home.

Just a thought. Not as much fun as fighting about it, I guess.

Reactions: Ron in Regina