Air Canada CEO should not have apologized

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
There is absolutely nothing wrong with living in Montreal and speaking only English. Mr. Rousseau had no reason to apologize here. Montreal has two mainstream communities, English and French speaking. Everything in the city is in both languages ( English/French schools, universities, hospitals, media, newspapers …). As someone who’s born and raised in Montreal, I too speak no French. A good portion of English speaking Montrealers never had any motivation to learn the language mainly due to Bill 101 and the language police. It’s always been a huge turn off for many of us. Now with Bill 96, even more so.

Bottom line, if Mr.Rousseau is pressured in any way to learn French, then I say to take the Air Canada headquarters and MOVE IT TO TORONTO. End of discussion.

“The remarks Mr. Rousseau made show contempt for Quebecers, they are insulting,” Quebec’s minister responsible for the French language, Simon Jolin-Barrette told the legislature Thursday answering a question. “They are not worthy of a man in his station.
No they’re not. That’s a lie. I’m a Quebecker and am not at all insulted. Also, Mr.Barette is a professional and as such, should start behaving as one. As a politician in power, he needs to learn to speak in a professional manner to have any sort of credibility. I don’t even know what to make of “They are not worthy of a man in his station.” comments. His grammar is equivalent to that of a three year old. Simply pitiful.

Rousseau made a major speech Wednesday in Montreal in English, and then he told reporters he considers it a “testament to Montreal” that he can live here without speaking French.
I agree. Montreal has always had two mainstream communities. In fact in some west end neighborhoods, you’ll have a hard time communicating with your neighbors if you are unwilling to converse in English.

“For a guy like Mr. Rousseau, this is how we live in Quebec,” said Parti Québécois MNA Pascal Bérubé. “There are plenty of people like Mr. Rousseau in Montreal. It sends a message to young anglos that they don’t need to learn French.”
True. Where’s the motivation to learn French? The language police? Bill 101? Bill 96? Those are all reasons to NOT learn French. They are all major deterrents.

Air Canada CEO should not apologize

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
First thing that is going to happen when I am elected Emperor is a law that Canada is unilingual. All government services will be in English only. Don't speak English? Hire yourself an interpreter or go to an ESL class.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
First thing that is going to happen when I am elected Emperor is a law that Canada is unilingual. All government services will be in English only. Don't speak English? Hire yourself an interpreter or go to an ESL class.
i was forced to do assignments, case studies, projects, presentations, etc. in french. if you had been emperor it would have saved me a lot of grief. :( ;)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Both my parents were from Quebec...
they encouraged all the members of the family to learn both languages...even tho we spoke french at home
Their reasoning was quite right...
when you can speak both languages you can find a job anywhere in Canada or the U.S.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Funny thing for me is, I can't understand spoken French for shit. I can utter a few phrases in passible French but I can read French with fairly little problem.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
There is absolutely nothing wrong with living in Montreal and speaking only English. Mr. Rousseau had no reason to apologize here. Montreal has two mainstream communities, English and French speaking. Everything in the city is in both languages ( English/French schools, universities, hospitals, media, newspapers …). As someone who’s born and raised in Montreal, I too speak no French. A good portion of English speaking Montrealers never had any motivation to learn the language mainly due to Bill 101 and the language police. It’s always been a huge turn off for many of us. Now with Bill 96, even more so.

Bottom line, if Mr.Rousseau is pressured in any way to learn French, then I say to take the Air Canada headquarters and MOVE IT TO TORONTO. End of discussion.

No they’re not. That’s a lie. I’m a Quebecker and am not at all insulted. Also, Mr.Barette is a professional and as such, should start behaving as one. As a politician in power, he needs to learn to speak in a professional manner to have any sort of credibility. I don’t even know what to make of “They are not worthy of a man in his station.” comments. His grammar is equivalent to that of a three year old. Simply pitiful.

I agree. Montreal has always had two mainstream communities. In fact in some west end neighborhoods, you’ll have a hard time communicating with your neighbors if you are unwilling to converse in English.

True. Where’s the motivation to learn French? The language police? Bill 101? Bill 96? Those are all reasons to NOT learn French. They are all major deterrents.

Air Canada CEO should not apologize
he should apologize for what a shitty organization scair canada is. ;)

Reactions: petros

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
One thing that we as Canadians should do is tell Air Canada to move its head office out of Quebec. A good start would also be to have the people in Quebec to learn FRENCH. Also, since Quebec did not sign the Canadian constitution, they should not be allowed to get any equalization payments.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
One thing that we as Canadians should do is tell Air Canada to move its head office out of Quebec. A good start would also be to have the people in Quebec to learn FRENCH. Also, since Quebec did not sign the Canadian constitution, they should not be allowed to get any equalization payments.
Not shit . Your name should be Sherlock . No disrespect intended .

Reactions: petros