A young girl with a lot of moxie and sagacity!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Too bad your school didn't teach you the life skill of not paying big bucks for crap.

Fukk you!!! I'm buying a Samsung galaxy s6 edge this week. Bigger screen. :lol: :lol:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fukk you!!!
No thanks. I'm straight and you're ugly.

I'm buying a Samsung galaxy s6 edge this week. Bigger screen. :lol: :lol:
See previous post.

We want individualism and everyone to explore their own being then we
make them fit into a mold the society created. I say the kids need to stand
up. The problem is the kids of the edge the ones exploring are the future
leaders. If a series of meaningless rules are imposed many drop out
I did I was a late teen A Young Adult. With that in mind and a willingness to
make my own decisions I left. Got my schooling later. And to be truthful I
am happy for my decision because I found out by hard knocks how the system
works and that most of the schools, regional districts, and other levels of
authority were either without a clue or wanting to impose their own morals and
standards on others.
In the end we need the young people a hell of a lot more than they need us in the
end

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That explains it.

Sounds kinda like the Indian school, hopefully without the abuse and broken bones.

You're right that it teaches you to choose their battles. It's why I chose to no longer attend when I was 13.
I don't know what the Indian school was like but from various comments which you have made it sounded like living hell. First to be ripped from one's family and then to be left alone and powerless to defend ones self with no advocate is the thing of nightmares. Being told the length that shorts are to worn or not to wear spaghetti straps would be paradise in comparison.

All I know is what I see with regard to the kids. Mostly I am in elementary or adult education. There are no rules of dress in adult education but then you don't need them. The little ones are ruled by the parent.

Elementary today is a very soft system compared to the system I came through. My system involved corporal punishment for the least infraction, humiliation and fear.

While I have zero opposition to a dress code I do recognize what you are saying with regard to people who help to make the rules will live by the rules.

In today's world where anything goes much of the time, where children are given power over adults and everything they say is considered to be as valuable as diamonds cascading from a waterfall, I think a dress code is almost irrelevant. One thing kids seem to need today and in fact crave are strong boundaries which can bend and flex a bit. But this no boundaries,you are in control and equal to an adult power wise and anything goes doesn't fly well for the kids or anyone else.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't know what the Indian school was like but from various comments which you have made it sounded like living hell. First to be ripped from one's family and then to be left alone and powerless to defend ones self with no advocate is the thing of nightmares. Being told the length that shorts are to worn or not to wear spaghetti straps would be paradise in comparison.

All I know is what I see with regard to the kids. Mostly I am in elementary or adult education. There are no rules of dress in adult education but then you don't need them. The little ones are ruled by the parent.

Elementary today is a very soft system compared to the system I came through. My system involved corporal punishment for the least infraction, humiliation and fear.

While I have zero opposition to a dress code I do recognize what you are saying with regard to people who help to make the rules will live by the rules.

In today's world where anything goes much of the time, where children are given power over adults and everything they say is considered to be as valuable as diamonds cascading from a waterfall, I think a dress code is almost irrelevant. One thing kids seem to need today and in fact crave are strong boundaries which can bend and flex a bit. But this no boundaries,you are in control and equal to an adult power wise and anything goes doesn't fly well for the kids or anyone else.

Never advocated that. I called for meaningful negotiations for a variety of reasons:

1. To teach kids about a different way of running their lives than "take it or leave it."

2. That the kids, now stakeholders in the rules, will use their resources, unavailable to the adults, to enforce the rules.

3. That soliciting the kids' input and viewpoint just might produce better rules.

Much of the board's rules is perfectly sensible and clearly designed to avoid distracting sexual display. But some of it clearly shows nothing more than the administrators' notions of what is "smart" and proper. And those notions change, even in adult society. The young lawyers I interact with are wearing those new, tight suits young fellas wear these days. Sometimes for meetings they wear slacks and jackets rather than suits. So far I've survived, largely by remembering I'm not in a three-piece with a waistline at my lower chest. Or breeches and a neck-cloth, for that matter.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You familiar with negotiation? For each side there's a bottom line, and there's an area of negotiability. Can't think of a better way to teach teens that than to negotiate with them about something that's important to them. Or we can raise powerless kids with no investment in the system and no concept of give and take, i.e., a nation of extremist whiners.

But what do I know? I never went to high school, and I don't have kids.

NB: By the way, the noun form of "proper" is "propriety." Not busting on you, just sayin'.

You're right, I know better and thought the word looked awkward as soon as I wrote it, but figured you'd understand my drift. :)

I enjoy watching this thing p i s s so many people off. Its funny that people get so worked up on both sides about something fairly trivial.

I can understand it from one angle - when some people get charged with rape or sexual assault they often try the line "the girl was just begging for it - she showed 2" of skin above the ankle" and this just takes that out of the equation.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Never advocated that. I called for meaningful negotiations for a variety of reasons:

1. To teach kids about a different way of running their lives than "take it or leave it."

2. That the kids, now stakeholders in the rules, will use their resources, unavailable to the adults, to enforce the rules.

3. That soliciting the kids' input and viewpoint just might produce better rules.

Much of the board's rules is perfectly sensible and clearly designed to avoid distracting sexual display. But some of it clearly shows nothing more than the administrators' notions of what is "smart" and proper. And those notions change, even in adult society. The young lawyers I interact with are wearing those new, tight suits young fellas wear these days. Sometimes for meetings they wear slacks and jackets rather than suits. So far I've survived, largely by remembering I'm not in a three-piece with a waistline at my lower chest. Or breeches and a neck-cloth, for that matter.

yes I understand what you are saying

I like the pants and jacket look plus a super nice shirt with good pants can look very dressy.

I had to cut off all of my nails this evening because tomorrow they want me to do data entry...sucks but it goes with the job.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
yes I understand what you are saying

I like the pants and jacket look plus a super nice shirt with good pants can look very dressy.

I had to cut off all of my nails this evening because tomorrow they want me to do data entry...sucks but it goes with the job.
And I understand what you're saying. The administration (board, whatever) has valid reasons for much, probably most, of what it's doing. And I certainly believe there should be a "bottom line" to the administration's position in any negotiations of the type I propose, and that the "bottom line" should certainly preserve safety and prevent distractions.

I agree on the pants and jacket. Never did see any purpose in a necktie. I generally get suits with a slightly Western cut, and I've been known to replace the tie with a nice bolo now and then. The young ones have far better dress and color sense than I ever had, even if it's a little startling in the black-gray-navy world of lawyers.

Sorry about the nails. Tell your guy when they grow back, he gets to buy you a nice manicure and paint job. Bet he has more sense than to complain.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And I understand what you're saying. The administration (board, whatever) has valid reasons for much, probably most, of what it's doing. And I certainly believe there should be a "bottom line" to the administration's position in any negotiations of the type I propose, and that the "bottom line" should certainly preserve safety and prevent distractions.

I agree on the pants and jacket. Never did see any purpose in a necktie. I generally get suits with a slightly Western cut, and I've been known to replace the tie with a nice bolo now and then. The young ones have far better dress and color sense than I ever had, even if it's a little startling in the black-gray-navy world of lawyers.

Sorry about the nails. Tell your guy when they grow back, he gets to buy you a nice manicure and paint job. Bet he has more sense than to complain.

yeah I like colour on a guy...he's only beginning to branch out that way, he's black and grey and blue too....I had to plead him away from brown it looks awful on most guys but especially with white/grey hair...god help us

I only mentioned the nails because it's a part of the job...same with my shoes it's insurance controlled, if I am not wearing sandals that are fastened at the back, they won't cover me regardless of whether or not it was an issue in me breaking my neck

I will tell him you said he owes me a manicure...he's good about doing my toenails...I can't even believe that but yup, he will apply toenail paint and does a pretty good job better than me actually

in many Asian cultures, it's men who do the manicures and pedicures...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you don't like school rules find a looser school?

Eventually you generally need credentials of a quality that perhaps "looser schools" can't provide. I think "Hard Knocks" is good but unfortunately there are many who think "Oxford" or "Harvard" is better!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
[/B]

I can understand it from one angle - when some people get charged with rape or sexual assault they often try the line "the girl was just begging for it - she showed 2" of skin above the ankle" and this just takes that out of the equation.

Its a bs part of the equation whether its there or not. Doesnt matter if she is walking naked down a dark alley, its no excuse or defense for the assaulter/rapist.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Its a bs part of the equation whether its there or not. Doesnt matter if she is walking naked down a dark alley, its no excuse or defense for the assaulter/rapist.

I know it's B.S. but how many lawyers will try to get "mileage" out of it?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The little tart should be expelled until she dresses for education in a more appropriate manner.

Of course, when she walks down the street late at night on her own dressed up like that and then gets raped she'll then expect us to pin no blame on her whatsoever.