A young girl with a lot of moxie and sagacity!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, you have to look at the context of the entire matter. What is going to compromise the learning environment(that they are supposed to be in) the most her attire or all the attention drawn to the properness of it?
You familiar with negotiation? For each side there's a bottom line, and there's an area of negotiability. Can't think of a better way to teach teens that than to negotiate with them about something that's important to them. Or we can raise powerless kids with no investment in the system and no concept of give and take, i.e., a nation of extremist whiners.

But what do I know? I never went to high school, and I don't have kids.

NB: By the way, the noun form of "proper" is "propriety." Not busting on you, just sayin'.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If it's a true negotiation, that's good. If it's just a briefing on the rules and their interpretation, not so much.
as I've said this is not a school policy...this is a Board wide policy...it is not negotiable...it is our system

if you want to negotiate how your kid dresses these are not the schools for you and your kid

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
School Uniform

Notre Dame Regional Secondary School - Vancouver, B.C. Canada

School Uniforms - St. Theresa's High School

I see your 3 Catholic Schools and Raise you one Public School

Brampton public high school first with school uniform trial | Toronto Star

Private Catholic.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
as I've said this is not a school policy...this is a Board wide policy...it is not negotiable...it is our system

if you want to negotiate how your kid dresses these are not the schools for you and your kid
What a shame that you pass up the opportunity to teach them the value of participation and give and take.

But, your kids, your schools. Ain't like I got a dog in the fight.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Good for Brampton but they aren't the first public to try that.

...and hopefully not the last.

Uniformity and a professional look is good.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afufjv_6-t4

People look at professionally dress people with trust.. you going to deal with a Lawyer or Accountant dress in a T-Shirt and Shorts..

If you can't be professional looking in your job.. no thanks

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What a shame that you pass up the opportunity to teach them the value of participation and give and take.

But, your kids, your schools. Ain't like I got a dog in the fight.
there are many opportunities to teach children the value of participation and give and take...this is not one of those opportunities within our Board...this is an opportunity to learn that not everything you want will or should happen, not everything in life will be negotiable...it's a perfect opportunity to teach a child to choose their battles wisely and decide whether the rest of the experience is worth giving up in order to have input in another

same with our high schools...those rules are right out front on our website for all to see, it is a Catholic high school but you do not have to be Catholic to attend ... if it suits what you want for your kid you come, if it doesn't well, there are lots of other schools

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
there are many opportunities to teach children the value of participation and give and take...this is not one of those opportunities within our Board...this is an opportunity to learn that not everything you want will or should happen, not everything in life will be negotiable...it's a perfect opportunity to teach a child to choose their battles wisely and decide whether the rest of the experience is worth giving up in order to have input in another

same with our high schools...those rules are right out front on our website for all to see, it is a Catholic high school but you do not have to be Catholic to attend ... if it suits what you want for your kid you come, if it doesn't well, there are lots of other schools
That explains it.

Sounds kinda like the Indian school, hopefully without the abuse and broken bones.

You're right that it teaches you to choose their battles. It's why I chose to no longer attend when I was 13.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We want individualism and everyone to explore their own being then we
make them fit into a mold the society created. I say the kids need to stand
up. The problem is the kids of the edge the ones exploring are the future
leaders. If a series of meaningless rules are imposed many drop out
I did I was a late teen A Young Adult. With that in mind and a willingness to
make my own decisions I left. Got my schooling later. And to be truthful I
am happy for my decision because I found out by hard knocks how the system
works and that most of the schools, regional districts, and other levels of
authority were either without a clue or wanting to impose their own morals and
standards on others.
In the end we need the young people a hell of a lot more than they need us in the
end

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We want individualism and everyone to explore their own being then we
make them fit into a mold the society created. I say the kids need to stand
up. The problem is the kids of the edge the ones exploring are the future
leaders. If a series of meaningless rules are imposed many drop out
I did I was a late teen A Young Adult. With that in mind and a willingness to
make my own decisions I left. Got my schooling later. And to be truthful I
am happy for my decision because I found out by hard knocks how the system
works and that most of the schools, regional districts, and other levels of
authority were either without a clue or wanting to impose their own morals and
standards on others.
In the end we need the young people a hell of a lot more than they need us in the
end
There's also the fact that peer pressure is huge among teens. If they're invested in making the rules, they'll help to enforce the rules with their own networks. If they feel the rules are imposed and they have no say, they'll use their networks to circumvent, disobey, and undermine the rules. Just like the girl in the OP.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Individuality is bad and the fact that they aren't professionals is. . .

Individuality is great, but school is a place to learn life skills, and job skills.. I just think part of that education should be professionalism in one's attire..

Isn't school also suppose to create discipline, punctuality, responsibility and essential traits required to be professional and successful in your future life. (or am I expecting too much from US Schools, being you guys rank 14th in Education)

There is plenty of time to express your "Individuality" after school and weekends at the malls, or wherever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Individuality is great, but school is a place to learn life skills, and job skills.
Well, I guess that explains the football team and the cheerleading squad.

I just think part of that education should be professionalism in one's attire.
Dafuq?

Isn't school also suppose to create discipline, punctuality, responsibility and essential traits required to be professional and successful in your future life.
I don't know. My school was supposed to make us farmhands and domestics.

(or am I expecting too much from US Schools, being you guys rank 14th in Education)
At least we don't say "once attire."