A question for leftists in this forum: Am I a red neck?

I'm a self-declared leftist and I would classify the belief system described here as:

• red-neck.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • conservative but not red-neck.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • progressive.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Does anyone know what that intellectual gentleman in the plaid cut-off shirt and the Mohawk is doing or planning to do with that propane cylinder? Aside from refilling it to use as home (trailer) heating? His neck does not look too red. No doubt a theoretical mathematician.

Now, if both sides of his head were shaved revealing an aesthetic for symmetry, then, perhaps, he may be a mathematician or theoretical physicist examining the origins of the Big Bang.

However, assuming that he sports a Mohawk with both sides of his head shaved in the same manner (though mirror images of each other) is a bit of a leap, I must say! All one can say from the photograph is that the right side of his head is shaved. One cannot assume the left side is trimmed as well!

As a result, he well might be a mathematician or a theoretical physicist. But it is just as likely he is a pastor of the Church of Half Wits who shave half their heads as a religious symbol. I lean towards the latter, as he is holding their sacred candle lighter!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The term red neck is a common term of abuse used among the left to denigrate the right. Based on my understanding of people's use of the term, it implies an ignorant, heartless person whose views on law and order are strongly influcenced by religion though his views on war and economics tend to be driven primarily by nationalism.

Is this in fact correct?

If so, then would I be classified as a red neck according to the left? Some of my views would fall into that category, while others of my views would be progressive enough to make the NDP blush.

As for my more conservative views, I am:

pro-life
pro-capital punishment in some cases
pro-opposite-sex marriage

My economic views are more capitalistic and conservative but not dogmatically so.

As for my more progressive views that would put even the NDP to shame, I'm in favour of:

a decentralized world federation with common citizenship
a world police force to gradually replace national military forces
a common world currency
a universal auxiliary language that is easy to learn by design and common a system of measurements, with all people free to learn the first language of their choice if a school is available.
global free trade
universal compulsory education
freedom of religious belief

So would you classify such a belief system as red-neck or progressive?

"pro-life
pro-opposite-sex marriage"-
For starters there's nothing wrong with those three things. There's a lot of B.S. circulated around the term "Red neck"- mainly by self-perceived sophisticates who are not sophisticated at all, but are down right ignorant in that they laugh at other people's life styles. There's nothing wrong with fishing while drinking beer, there's nothing wrong with a guy fishing while his wife is cleaning them. There's nothing wrong with home made contrivances made with recycling in mind and saving money. Only a very ignorant person goes out and buys an "elite" name brand for big bucks to prove himself to the Joneses.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
pro-life

bit of an oxymoron putting those two together don't ya think?

Perhaps but in different circumstances- pro life for innocents, pro hanging for Olson and Bernardo- I can live with that, Cliff.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Hmmm... I don't care much for labels, and insults generally just roll off my shoulders, but I would be surious to see how others would classify my beliefs. Leftist, rightist? How? Honestly, even I'm not too sure.

Labels to serve the advantage of expressing a complex idea conveniently without having to explain yourself every time.

It sounds to me like you are somewhere around the center of the spectrum but given the examples of what you believe in, you sway more towards the left. You are a center-leftist overall...

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
To me, a redneck is someone who bases his life on archaic traditions, refuses to accept progress, refuses to respect the rights of people outside of his age group or ethnic background.... Someone who still thinks that women should be barefeet in the kitchen cooking and taking care of kids all day.. Someone who knows nothing outside his hometown and province... Someone who judges people... Someone who is named Clevius and likes to ride cattle... Someone who thinks that they are better because they have money... Someone who complains about injecting money into social programs...

This is what a true redneck is...

This desciption fits so many...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
ok I think you are impractically ideologically idealistic. :D

Now that's the kind of answer I want. So now I know at least compared to me you're just an unimaginative realist who believes that if it's never been done before, it can't be done in future either.:p

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
A neo-conservative world federalist? That's new; never thought it was possible.

I'm enjoying this thread. Some would classify me as liberal, and now I have neo-conservative. But at least it's clear that I'm no red-neck.:lol:

A neo-conservative world federalist?

Your terminology. I'd cut it off at just plain "Neocon" (odd for someone from Orleans.... Most are French civil servants and Nationalists)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Now, if both sides of his head were shaved revealing an aesthetic for symmetry, then, perhaps, he may be a mathematician or theoretical physicist examining the origins of the Big Bang.

However, assuming that he sports a Mohawk with both sides of his head shaved in the same manner (though mirror images of each other) is a bit of a leap, I must say! All one can say from the photograph is that the right side of his head is shaved. One cannot assume the left side is trimmed as well!

As a result, he well might be a mathematician or a theoretical physicist. But it is just as likely he is a pastor of the Church of Half Wits who shave half their heads as a religious symbol. I lean towards the latter, as he is holding their sacred candle lighter!

That's Funny! That intellectual gentleman in the plaid cut-off shirt and the Mohawk is 6'5" &
290lbs, and is about to throw that Propane Tank to win the Propane Tank-Toss Competition.
It's harder than it sounds, and requires explosive brute strength along with skill, as opposed to
the toilet-seat toss (for distance, not accuracy) which is all about skill and technique with a basic
understanding of aerodynamics.

My Son's natural complexion helps to prevent the red neck that many of us sport, but you can
rest assured that his Mohawk is pretty close to identical on both sides of his head. He may not
be a mathematician or theoretical physicist, but he's quite capable of delivering the Big Bang.

By the way, in the event that you missed it, that's me in the first photo, and my Son with the tank.
Those throwing out labels about what a "Redneck" is to them, might just ask someone who might
actually acknowledge that they are a Redneck, what a Redneck actually is. It's a mind-set that has
nothing to do with most of the assumptions made on this thread so far.

The assumptions being thrown out so far are based on parodies. Doesn't anyone else on this thread
find it ironic that, with all of the assumptions as to what a "Redneck" is to them, that nobody has
bothered to ask someone who claims to be a Redneck, what a Redneck really is?" Oh well...maybe
that's just my narrow-minded, uneducated, bigoted, unsophisticated, pick-up driving, beer swilling
mind set though. What do I know.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
To me, a redneck is someone who bases his life on archaic traditions, refuses to accept progress, refuses to respect the rights of people outside of his age group or ethnic background.... Someone who still thinks that women should be barefeet in the kitchen cooking and taking care of kids all day.. Someone who knows nothing outside his hometown and province... Someone who judges people... Someone who is named Clevius and likes to ride cattle... Someone who thinks that they are better because they have money... Someone who complains about injecting money into social programs...

Check out the Heartless Redneck. Shame on her...Look at her blanket
(as opposed to her rings) and the blanket she chose to cover the old dog
(who she'd just met) with.

"To me, a redneck is someone who bases his life on archaic traditions,
refuses to accept progress, refuses to respect the rights of people
outside of his age group or ethnic background...." (???)

"To me, a redneck is someone who knows nothing outside his hometown
and province... Someone who judges people..." (???)

"Someone who thinks that they are better because they have money..." (???)

"Rednecks don't use computers." (???)

"To me, a redneck is someone who judges people..." (???)

For some on this forum, now might be a very good time to reassess where
your bigotry and elitism is coming from. Is it a reflection of your own fears
as to others perceive you? For those that claim that they may be this, that,
or the other thing, but thank God they're not a Redneck...all I can say is,
"Good!" I'm glad you do not wish to sully the Label with your own brand
of narrow minded stench. Thank You for that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I like Rednecks, I dislike hypocrites.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think "redneck" has various definitions according to where you live in Canada/US. Around here in Toronto, I find most most people use it as a derogatory term to describe a white person.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I think "redneck" has various definitions according to where you live in Canada/US. Around here in Toronto, I find most most people use it as a derogatory term to describe a white person.

DD, I've never heard the term used in Toronto as you describe...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:.......Here's a bunch of deffynishuns:
Definitions of redneck on the Web:

And then there's the redneck comedian (rich too) who defines a redneck as someone whose outdoor furniture used to be his indoor furniture. eyuk eyuk

When I worked, I worked outdoors, and me neck was plenty red, and my arms, legs, etc. Big deal. Redneck = working man.......sure, why not.

Actually, I wouldn't get to pissy about being called a redneck, as we are all rednecks in the eyes of someone else. No? And who really gives a **** what someone else thinks. They don't have to live our lives.

Just me .02, again.

8O

Reactions: Ron in Regina