A Poll: Should Obama be assassinated?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Why give it any validity at all. Remember what you said to me. Should have just ignored it, just someone trying their hands at a little sensationalism.

That would be true of criticism of Obama, ironsides, even virulent, over the top criticism (like drawing Hitler’s moustache on Obama’s picture). However, when there is talk of assassination, that is a security risk, FBI comes into it, and it is definitely worth discussing.

Your country has a long history of assassinating your political leaders. JFK, Robert Kennedy, MLK, Reagan the list goes on and on. So the talk of assassination may be just talk, or there may be something substantial behind it.

So when somebody talks of assassinating the president, it is definitely newsworthy.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That would be true of criticism of Obama, ironsides, even virulent, over the top criticism (like drawing Hitler’s moustache on Obama’s picture). However, when there is talk of assassination, that is a security risk, FBI comes into it, and it is definitely worth discussing.

Your country has a long history of assassinating your political leaders. JFK, Robert Kennedy, MLK, Reagan the list goes on and on. So the talk of assassination may be just talk, or there may be something substantial behind it.

So when somebody talks of assassinating the president, it is definitely newsworthy.
But on the other hand, the more you discuss it, the more validity you give it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
A suggestion like that, read by the wrong person (just takes one) could trigger
an assasination, by that person, thinking he would be a hero, or answering an
order from 'above', or anything that 'sickos' think up.
It is dangerous, and whomever is responsible should be prosecuted.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hitler's moustache on Obama? How would anyone know it wasn't this guy's 'stache:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
While I think that Obama is on his way to be judged not only by history, but by any normal person in present day as the most egotistical, narcissist, empty nobody, he DOES NOT deserve to die prematurely.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It seems ridiculous for so many people to be sitting around discussing a poll that was clearly unacceptable and removed almost instantly.

When this is 'news' it's a sad day.

There will always be people who feel that the sitting president does not deserve to be there. There will always be nuts who will speak about 'doing something about it'. As the media changes, so will the ways they discuss it, but it's not 'new' in any way shape or form. Pass their details along to the appropriate policing body so they may be monitored, and that's the end of it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
how come there arent as many threads about harper active right now????? lol arent we canadian, to an extent who cares about oboma??

Unfortunately, Harper is a rather boring person to discuss. We could talk about his sweater-vests or his love for kittens I suppose.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
This thread should be turfed.
The thread starter topic is in incredibly poor taste.

Most of us realize that the original poster meant no ill toward the President of the United States.
However you have to ask yourself if it was intentionally posted as an attention grabber or perhaps a cry for attention.
Reminds me of the National Inquirer headlines.
Except way, way more insensitive.

Trex

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Unfortunately, Harper is a rather boring person to discuss. We could talk about his sweater-vests or his love for kittens I suppose.

Quite so, Durka. Canadian politics just isn't exciting, interesting at the moment. To bad we didn't have internet when Trudeau was the PM. Now there was an interesting, colorful personality.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Active Jesuits usually are profound.

Can you imagine the fun we would have had if somebody like Trudeau had been the PM today? Both Trudeau and his wife were colorful personalities. I think Margaret Trudeau has been the only wife who has been in the news substantially. She was really comparable to US first lady, rather than the wife of a Canadian PM.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It seems ridiculous for so many people to be sitting around discussing a poll that was clearly unacceptable and removed almost instantly.

When this is 'news' it's a sad day.

There will always be people who feel that the sitting president does not deserve to be there. There will always be nuts who will speak about 'doing something about it'. As the media changes, so will the ways they discuss it, but it's not 'new' in any way shape or form. Pass their details along to the appropriate policing body so they may be monitored, and that's the end of it.
Oh come now, Karrie. You know it's SJP's nature to make mountains from middens. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so, Durka. Canadian politics just isn't exciting, interesting at the moment. To bad we didn't have internet when Trudeau was the PM. Now there was an interesting, colorful personality.
.... if one likes discussing arrogant, egotistical elitists, I agree. ChRETIeN is far more colorful, though.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This thread should be turfed.
The thread starter topic is in incredibly poor taste.

Most of us realize that the original poster meant no ill toward the President of the United States.
However you have to ask yourself if it was intentionally posted as an attention grabber or perhaps a cry for attention.
Reminds me of the National Inquirer headlines.
Except way, way more insensitive.

Trex

One needs to look no further than the OP.

Cry for attention? You bet it is.

Perhaps someone is putting in some extra hours away from home. :lol: