8 white cops, 1 black homeless man, 46 bullets

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
so which one would you use against the penknife ;-)
If I had to choose, probably the Tommy chopper. Not much range, but it has the advantage that if you hit a man, he goes down and stays down.

But ammo is expensive, and the government doesn't pay for mine, so maybe a .40 cal pistol. He didn't look like enough of a threat to justify automatic fire. Well, except to cops.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nope, just two automatic rifles, one Thompson, three shotguns, four rifles (including a beautiful British 1916 Lee-Enfield .303), and. . . umm. . . seven pistols.

For personal defence.

And here's me thinking that Yanks are prone to overkill.

I feel a bit silly now...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
is that because you keep your friends close and your enemies closer?
Nah, I like to keep my friends within seven meters, and my enemies out at 200 or so.

And here's me thinking that Yanks are prone to overkill.

I feel a bit silly now...
No, the word you're looking for is "stupid." The only thing I've killed in decades is some game and a whole lot of paper. That you don't understand the difference between owning guns and being violent is kinda sad, but really funny.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No, the word you're looking for is "stupid." The only thing I've killed in decades is some game and a whole lot of paper. That you don't understand the difference between owning guns and being violent is kinda sad, but really funny.

In Britain we just arm ourselves with deadly weapons lying about the home.

My mate Stuart keeps a snooker cue on top of the heater in his hallway near the front door, and always has a snooker ball in a sock ready, in case an intruder comes in.

If anyone comes in my flat to do no good I'd just wrap my cricket bat around his or her head.

That's how we are in Britain. Just the right amount of force necessary to do the job in hand rather than turning our homes into an ammunition dump as you lot do in Yankeeland. Five shotguns, four rifles, seven handguns, five RPS, three bazookas and a selection of mines is not needed to fend off a burglar. Again, it's just typical Yank overkill. You have no need whatsoever for all those weapons. It's using a sledgehammer to kill an ant.

We're also prepared to actually go up to the intruder to inflict physical damage on them in Britain. Not like the Yanks where they just stand well back and pull a trigger.

America home defence: Five shotguns, four rifles, seven handguns, five RPS, three bazookas and a selection of mines.

Britain home defence: Cricket bat and/or snooker ball in a sock.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In Britain we just arm ourselves with deadly weapons lying about the home.
Your looks and your breath, primarily.

My mate Stuart keeps a snooker cue on top of the heater in his hallway near the front door, and always has a snooker ball in a sock ready, in case an intruder comes in.

If anyone comes in my flat to do no good I'd just wrap my cricket bat around his or her head.
Sounds like you and Stewie have a real good understanding. Planning on getting hitched, or just gonna free-form it?

That's how we are in Britain. Just the right amount of force necessary to do the job in hand rather than turning our homes into an ammunition dump as you lot do in Yankeeland. Five shotguns, four rifles, seven handguns, five RPS, three bazookas and a selection of mines is not needed to fend off a burglar. Again, it's just typical Yank overkill. You have no need whatsoever for all those weapons. It's using a sledgehammer to kill an ant.
Wow, are you really stupid enough to think that I have all my guns for a burglar?

Hmm. . . yeah, I guess you are.

We're also prepared to actually go up to the intruder to inflict physical damage on them in Britain. Not like the Yanks where they just stand well back and pull a trigger.
You think pulling a trigger doesn't inflict physical damage? My, the stupid's getting pretty deep in here.

America home defence: Five shotguns, four rifles, seven handguns, five RPS, three bazookas and a selection of mines.

Britain home defence: Cricket bat and/or snooker ball in a sock.
So, now you're lying again, just like the "half dozen ships, including an aircraft carrier." You just can't help it, can you?

It's a pathology. You should look into treatment.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Your looks and your breath, primarily.

Sounds like you and Stewie have a real good understanding. Planning on getting hitched, or just gonna free-form it?

No. I'm against homosexuality.

Wow, are you really stupid enough to think that I have all my guns for a burglar?

You've got them because you're an American and the more guns you have the bigger the hard-on you get ("GUNS!! F*CK YEAAAAHHHH!!). Americans have a certain fascination and obsession with guns that the rest of the world finds strange.

You think pulling a trigger doesn't inflict physical damage?

It does. From a distance.

So, now you're lying again, just like the "half dozen ships, including an aircraft carrier." You just can't help it, can you?

I did apologise for that. I recognise now that it was merely TWO US warships which took on four kids in a dinghy. I apologise for saying there was any Yank overkill, as clearly there wasn't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nah, I like to keep my friends within seven meters, and my enemies out at 200 or so.

Making you totally responsible for the deforestation of several countries.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just a few thoughts on this debacle.

To start off, there are 8 policemen, all armed, and a man with a pen knife. For some unknown reason this caused a standoff. There was no identifiable organization or clear thinking. and the tension was growing by the minute........made worse by the idiot with the dog who kept releasing the dog on a few feet of rope and then yanking it back again, and the helicopter overhead. I don't know if there was any way the potential perp could have saved himself except by throwing himself on the ground. Would anyone throw themselves down in front of an attack dog? These cops were determined to shoot someone. Once one cop fired, they all had to fire. After the guy was down, 9 more shots were fired. Did he actually have a pen knife? I would have fired all of these cops

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's his own fault.

I know, homelessness, and a penknife, life's a b*tch.

they likely did him a favour

If I had to choose, probably the Tommy chopper. Not much range, but it has the advantage that if you hit a man, he goes down and stays down.

But ammo is expensive, and the government doesn't pay for mine, so maybe a .40 cal pistol. He didn't look like enough of a threat to justify automatic fire. Well, except to cops.
Ah okay, thanks for the tips.

Just a few thoughts on this debacle.

To start off, there are 8 policemen, all armed, and a man with a pen knife. For some unknown reason this caused a standoff. There was no identifiable organization or clear thinking. and the tension was growing by the minute........made worse by the idiot with the dog who kept releasing the dog on a few feet of rope and then yanking it back again, and the helicopter overhead. I don't know if there was any way the potential perp could have saved himself except by throwing himself on the ground. Would anyone throw themselves down in front of an attack dog? These cops were determined to shoot someone. Once one cop fired, they all had to fire. After the guy was down, 9 more shots were fired. Did he actually have a pen knife? I would have fired all of these cops

Yup.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
agreed, and eight cops couldn't take it away from him. Maybe some training could help.

I have seen small unarmed social workers handle worse. I have handled worse. It disgusts me.

And say you were by yourself in this exact instance, and you attempted to get the penknife away from him (or he went at you). You have no guarantee that you will escape unscathed, and you could very easily have been stabbed in the carotid artery. All it takes is a second. A second. And then YOU are dead (which I certainly would not want to happen, obviously) and he is still armed and dangerous. ALL the training in the world doesn't mean squat when faced with the uncertainty principle, where anything could happen.

And that is what a police officer has to think of. One second, one split second, and the guy could be just that much faster than he is, and then it is all over, at least for him. His family gets to live with the fact that their father/husband/brother/son died in the line of duty.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If I'm so jaded I wouldn't have gotten the answer correct before looking. (as a side note get them to define what 'cross-fire' is)
A homeless man can now win an inheritance for his family by getting gunned down by the police? I hope neither side picks up on that twist.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And say you were by yourself in this exact instance, and you attempted to get the penknife away from him (or he went at you). You have no guarantee that you will escape unscathed, and you could very easily have been stabbed in the carotid artery. All it takes is a second. A second. And then YOU are dead (which I certainly would not want to happen, obviously) and he is still armed and dangerous. ALL the training in the world doesn't mean squat when faced with the uncertainty principle, where anything could happen.

And that is what a police officer has to think of. One second, one split second, and the guy could be just that much faster than he is, and then it is all over, at least for him. His family gets to live with the fact that their father/husband/brother/son died in the line of duty.
Of course, ANY encounter could lead to the officer's death. An unarmed person could push the officer, causing him to fall and sustain a fatal head wound. If the standard is "shoot if there is any possibility I might be harmed," they're gonna have to start issuing more ammo.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

everything you say in the above scenario is mostly true, but that isn't what happened here,

you have 8 big fat cops with flak jackets, armed. come on shadow, this is brainless cowboy time and it's not just a white response either, there is stupid there from likely every race, creed and colour

I'd would love to know the median age of the cops in that take down. I am willing to bet there is not a single one over 35

ANY veteran cop that I have either spoken to or partied with over the last 40 years would EVER have needed to shoot this guy I can practically guarantee it. One tazer and he is down

for god sake our own situation here on parliament hill here with an armed man who had just killed someone was handled by one 58 year old veteran cop.......seriously think about it, this is a screaming embarrassment and a complete fubar

no common sense, no humanity was used here, if our cops are this fearful of it's citizenry we are all in BIG big trouble.

and I have to add all the training in the world means being in control, able to assess the situation and respond accordingly, that is not what happened here it is what happened on Parliament hill

do you really believe that the 45 - 60 year old brass did not have a complete and utter meltdown on these clowns, I would be shocked.