2SLGBTQQIA+

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
When it comes to surfing, transgender athletes should have their own division, pro surfer Bethany Hamilton says.

Hamilton said if these rules remain, she will no longer compete in WSL events.

The surfer said she’d prefer to see the WSL start a new division “so that all can have a fair opportunity to showcase their passion and talent.”

“And I think it’s really hard to imagine what the future of women’s surfing will be like in 15-20 years down the road if we move forward allowing this major change,” she said.

An All-American swimmer has spoken out against the NCAA because she claims she and fellow swimmers have been exposed to “male genitalia.”

Riley Gaines does not believe she should have to share a locker room with transgender swimmer Lia Thomas, who she says has male genitalia she sees in locker rooms, according to TMZ.

Gaines is a 12-time All-American and has won multiple SEC swimming championships at Kentucky. She appeared on FOX News’ America Reports discussing Thomas.

Gaines is fighting to pass “Fairness in Women’s Sports” bills, and she also wants to establish separate locker rooms for transgender athletes.

So, are these athletes just suffering from sour grapes?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We had a really good wheelchair racer here a few years back. Until the girls' track team (captained by the superintendent's daughter) refused to accept her.

Back in the day, some swim teams would refuse to jump in the water if one of the swimmers was Black. Gotta admire the spirit and determination that led them to take a loss rather than let go of their race hate.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When it comes to surfing, transgender athletes should have their own division, pro surfer Bethany Hamilton says.

Hamilton said if these rules remain, she will no longer compete in WSL events.

The surfer said she’d prefer to see the WSL start a new division “so that all can have a fair opportunity to showcase their passion and talent.”

“And I think it’s really hard to imagine what the future of women’s surfing will be like in 15-20 years down the road if we move forward allowing this major change,” she said.

An All-American swimmer has spoken out against the NCAA because she claims she and fellow swimmers have been exposed to “male genitalia.”

Riley Gaines does not believe she should have to share a locker room with transgender swimmer Lia Thomas, who she says has male genitalia she sees in locker rooms, according to TMZ.

Gaines is a 12-time All-American and has won multiple SEC swimming championships at Kentucky. She appeared on FOX News’ America Reports discussing Thomas.

Gaines is fighting to pass “Fairness in Women’s Sports” bills, and she also wants to establish separate locker rooms for transgender athletes.

So, are these athletes just suffering from sour grapes?
All that struggle to be recognized as women athletes only to be dominated by men pretending to be women.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Transgender male claims he faced discrimination at Regina hotel​

Was it discrimination or a long standing rule at nearly any pool being enforced?

What was supposed to be a fun weekend for a family from Watrous, Sask., took a turn for worse following an incident that is being described as gender discrimination at a Regina hotel.

Sixteen-year-old Casper Foster and his family came to Regina on the weekend of Feb. 4, 2023, for a birthday swimming celebration for his sister at the Best Western Seven Oaks Hotel. Foster was approached by a hotel staff member informing him that t-shirts were not permitted at the pool.

It was at that moment that Foster’s mother approached to see what the interaction was about.

“It’s really disheartening,” said Foster’s mother, Shannon Monteyne. “I’m not normally (a) Karen but when my kids are involved, damn rights, I’m mama bear.”

The staff member told Monteyne that t-shirts were not allowed in the pool, and she informed the staff member that her son is transgender who did not have top surgery and explained that he was wearing a t-shirt because he’s not comfortable in women’s bathing suits.

“He’s wearing a t-shirt out of modesty’s sake … she leaves for a moment and comes back and (was) even ruder,” she said. “There (were) plenty of other people wearing street clothes in the pool, too. Why (was) it just my son that’s being singled out?”

At that point, Foster was mortified as the pool was filled with dozens of patrons. Foster, who has existing anxiety issues since he came out a few years ago as a transgender male, caused him to relive that feeling of not being accepted.

“I do not do well in public in general. So having been told to leave a public area in front of so many other people when everyone else was doing the same thing was really overwhelming for me,” said Foster.

“It was kind of embarrassing and degrading almost … transgender individuals go through so much on a daily basis, like we’re targeted for no reason.”

Monteyne spoke with the manager the following day who apologized for the experience her son had but stated that “rules are rules.”

“I honestly think that it was gender discrimination. They had a choice … they could have made this right,” she said. “People shouldn’t be treated like that.”

Monteyne made a post on social media about her family’s experience and received a lot of feedback and messages of support. She also filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission and hopes the Best Western Seven Oaks Hotel and others can learn from this experience to be more aware and inclusive to everyone.

“People need to do better,” she said. “We’re just hoping that … nobody else will get treated like that … that’s all you can hope for is to make a little bit of a difference.”

In an email statement, the co-chair from Regina Pride Inc., said this situation could have been negated if the pool employee had more training on trans issues and suggests that Seven Oaks hotel to apply for Positive Space Training for their front-of-house staff members.

“I understand that cotton fibers can mess with the pool’s filtration system, and there are pool dress codes (in place) for reasons like that. But it sounds like the employee didn’t make this point clear and came at the situation poorly,” stated Lisa Phillipson.

“I hope the Seven Oaks takes this complaint seriously and aims to better themselves and their guests’ experiences in the future.”

The City of Regina offers a program called “All Bodies Swim” which is a drop-in leisure swim for people who are transgender, non-binary and/or gender non-conforming and their allies. In a statement, the City said this program aims for inclusion and diversity.

“This pilot program was designed in consultation with local 2SLGBTQIAP+ people and partner organizations as part of our commitment to creating safe, inclusive spaces,” according to an emailed statement.

Global News contacted the Best Western Seven Oaks Hotel but did not hear a response in time of publishing.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Violated a neutral dress code standard applicable to all.

Looks like a case of searching for OUTRAGE! and whoring for circulation.

Looks like it's working, too.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Only "CONtroversial" if y'all insist on having a poor-poor-pitiful-me CONniption fit over it.
Sure - nobody who isn't an evil nazi conservative (defined as anyone right of castro of course) has a problem with this situation in the slightest. It's just the KHHHHAAAHHHNNNNN-servatives. Because they're evil. So we don't have to care about any of their concerns or listen to them. I'm sure that will end well and will help promote understanding and acceptance down the road.

Well done. If you're ever wondering why hate an intolerance is climbing in the us and Canada right now - make sure to have a mirror handy.