2022 World Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I understand the tiring factor, and would be OK with extra substitutions for the overtimes. But I'd point out that this system works in baseball, in which a tie results in extra innings. Some games have gone to over 30 innings (full time is 9 innings), and at the end the entire pitching staff of both sides is exhausted and throwing their fastballs at 60 miles per hour instead of the usual 95 or so mph.

Life's tough.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Argentina yesterday became only the third team to win the World Cup by penalty shootout. The other two to have done it are Brazil and Italy.

Brazil beat Italy 4-2 on penalties in the 1994 World Cup Final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and Italy beat France 5-3 on penalties in the 2006 World Cup Final at the Olympic Stadium, Berlin.

France are now the only team to have lost two World Cup Finals on penalties.

The first ever penalty shootout at the World Cup was between West Germany and France in Seville in the Semi-Final of 1982 World Cup, with West Germany winning 5-4.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I understand the tiring factor, and would be OK with extra substitutions for the overtimes. But I'd point out that this system works in baseball, in which a tie results in extra innings. Some games have gone to over 30 innings (full time is 9 innings), and at the end the entire pitching staff of both sides is exhausted and throwing their fastballs at 60 miles per hour instead of the usual 95 or so mph.

Life's tough.

Baseball players don't so as much running as football players. Some sports are more suitable for long games. Look at cricket: matches can last up to five days. In football, you often see players going down with cramp in extra time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Baseball players don't so as much running as football players. Some sports are more suitable for long games. Look at cricket: matches can last up to five days. In football, you often see players going down with cramp in extra time.
Hydrate. Substitute. Take mini-breaks as they do in normal time. Ultramarathon runners run without stopping for 100 miles. If the match ends with the players jogging, or walking, so be it. Better than the travesty of the ultimate team sport being decided by individuals kicking and saving (or failing to save).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Like father, like sons​

Argentina 3-3 France (Arg win 4-2 on pens)

After the full-time whistle on Sunday, two of Lionel Messi's three sons, Thiago and Mateo, aged 10 and seven respectively, were pictured kissing the famous trophy, just like their dad had after inspiring Argentina's victory over France.

Could we see them claim a World Cup winner's medal for themselves in years to come?

Lionel-Messi-Celebrates-World-Cup-2022-Win-With-Wife-Antonela-Roccuzzo-and-kids-02.jpg

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hydrate. Substitute. Take mini-breaks as they do in normal time. Ultramarathon runners run without stopping for 100 miles. If the match ends with the players jogging, or walking, so be it. Better than the travesty of the ultimate team sport being decided by individuals kicking and saving (or failing to save).

Then you'd have a lot more fatigued players and a lot more injuries in a team and that would have a detrimental effect on its subsequent performances.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The more that happens, the more likely for a golden goal.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Then you'd have a lot more fatigued players and a lot more injuries in a team and that would have a detrimental effect on its subsequent performances.
Obviously, my answer is subject to criticism. Do you have a preferred way to resolve must-have-a-winner matches, or do you just want to carp about my suggestions?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Obviously, my answer is subject to criticism. Do you have a preferred way to resolve must-have-a-winner matches, or do you just want to carp about my suggestions?

I think penalty shootouts are the best way to do it. That way managers won't have to deal with fatigued players with hamstring problems.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Premier League players who reached the World Cup final​

7479d19f-90a0-405a-8bab-441b9ac6d93d.jpg

The Premier League returns on 26 December, when many players from the different World Cup teams will be able to share their experiences from Qatar.

A handful, of course, will be granted extra leave following their World Cup exertions, but I imagine there could be some awkward conversations in dressing rooms up and down the country when all the stragglers finally return.

Especially at Tottenham and Manchester United, with both clubs having a player from Argentina and France in their squad.

Here is a rundown of the Premier League players who reached the final:

Argentina

Goalkeepers
: Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa)

Defenders: Cristian Romero (Tottenham Hotspur), Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Forwards: Julian Alvarez (Manchester City)

France

Goalkeepers
: Alphonse Areola (West Ham), Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)

Defenders: Ibrahima Konate (Liverpool), William Saliba (Arsenal), Raphael Varane (Manchester United)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don't forget that players are humans and get tired. There's only a certain amount of time that players can run around chasing a ball. If after 90 minutes they keep playing successive 10 minute bouts then they could end up playing another 90 minutes or 180 minutes until they get a goal.

In the playoffs, the NHL has a system where they keep playing until the sudden death goal is scored. I think the record is 4 OT periods. Yes, by the end everybody is tired. But whomever is less tired will likely get the goal. It's fairer than arbitrary penalty shots. Note that I think it only necessary for playoff games. In the NHL in the regular season for years they let ties happen. Now they play a short 5 minute sudden death OT then they do a shootout. But playoffs it is only sudden death.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And if reducing risk of fatigue and injury to players is the overwhelming, one-and-only goal, you could decide the whole match with a coin flip. Save everybody time and hard work.

Players are usually okay after 90 minutes. But if they end up playing 150 minutes then they'll start having problems which might make them not fit for the next match.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i heard on the news that the players were nearly electrocuted/decapitated. :eek:

Last edited: