2019 deaths of notables

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
In that interview, Clegg recalled how he performed "Asimbonanga" while on tour in Germany in 1997 and experienced a "huge shock" when Mandela, beaming and dancing, unexpectedly came out on stage behind him.
"It is music and dancing that makes me at peace with the world. And at peace with myself," Mandela said to the audience. He asked Clegg to resume his performance and urged the audience to get up and dance.
At the end of the song, Mandela and Clegg, holding hands, walked off stage. "That was the pinnacle moment for me," Clegg recalled. "It was just a complete and amazing gift from the universe."
http://nzh.tw/12250151

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pete is a very angry man who hates me and everything I stand for. He is blinded by hatred.
Nah, hate is absolute. If I hated you I would have burned down your house with you in it after nailing the doors shut.

Burnouts are fun to f-ck with.

Last edited:

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
What a bummer about Peter Fonda kickin’ the bucket.
The Wild Angels
Created an explosion in bike clubs across Canada.
In Toronto, the original club from the 50s was The Black Diamond Riders, with Johnny Sombrero prez.
Then came the Vagabonds, Commancheros, Paradise Riders, down at the Linsmore House, and many more.
Satans Choice were spawned in Quebec.
He was a director of the post ww2 youth movement and inspiration to all who should be seen and not heard.
That is the young ones, darlin’we’re the young ones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Fonda
Fonda in 2009
BornPeter Henry Fonda
February 23, 1940
New York, New York, U.S.
DiedAugust 16, 2019 (aged 79)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Alma materUniversity of Nebraska Omaha
OccupationActor
Years active1962–2019
Spouse(s)
Susan Jane Brewer
(m. 1961; div. 1974)
Portia Rebecca Crockett
(m. 1975; div. 2011)
Margaret DeVogelaere (m. 2011)[1]
Children2, including Bridget Fonda
Parent(s)Henry Fonda
Frances Ford Seymour
RelativesJane Fonda (sister)
Troy Garity (nephew)
Peter Henry Fonda (February 23, 1940 – August 16, 2019) was an American actor, director, and screenwriter. He was the son of Henry Fonda, younger brother of Jane Fonda, and father of Bridget Fonda. He was a part of the counterculture of the 1960s

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Perhaps there is a god...

David Koch, billionaire conservative activist and philanthropist, dies at 79

He and his brother, Charles Koch, helped to build a massive conservative network of donors to support libertarian-leaning economic policies.

David Koch, the billionaire conservative activist and philanthropist, who was lauded by the right and rebuked by the left, has died.
He was 79.
“It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my brother David," Charles Koch said in a statement Friday. "Anyone who worked with David surely experienced his giant personality and passion for life."
David Koch blamed deteriorating health when he stepped down last year from Koch Industries, a Kansas-based energy and chemical corporation with an annual revenue of about $110 billion. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a masters in chemical engineering.
Charles Koch, who also has engineering degrees from MIT, is the company's chairman and chief executive officer.
The two, along with their brothers, Frederick and Bill, inherited the business when their father, who founded it, died in 1967. Frederick and Bill sold their stake in 1983 and in 1998 pursued an unsuccessful lawsuit against David and Charles, claiming they were cheated out of more than $1 billion when they relinquished their shares. David and Bill were twins.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...tive-activist-philanthropist-dies-79-n1045696

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
David Koch donated USD 100 million in 2007 to create a cancer research institute at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
He also gave millions to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, the M D Anderson Cancer in Houston and other institutions. The Lincoln Center theater that houses the New York City Ballet became the David H. Koch Theater in 2008 after he gave USD 100 million.
The Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History opened a wing in his name dedicated to the story of human evolution after he contributed USD 15 million.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/b...o-conservative-causes-dies-at-79-2281809.html
Employer of many thousands and donator to charities and theatres and hospitals of hundreds of millions. A great man.