Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Mississauga pastor resigns after controversial residential school comments
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Jun 25, 2021 • 1 day ago • 1 minute read • 131 Comments
Monsignor Owen Keenan.
Monsignor Owen Keenan. PHOTO BY SCREENGRAB /Lajuj K'at Marroquín/YouTube
Article content
A Mississauga pastor has resigned and been placed on “indefinite leave” in the wake of making controversial comments about the residential school system.

In a statement Friday night, the Archdiocese of Toronto, Cardinal Collins, said Monsignor Owen Keenan’s resignation has been accepted and he was placed on the leave.

“Regarding Msgr. Owen Keenan, Pastor of Merciful Redeemer Parish in Mississauga, Ont. Cardinal Collins has accepted Msgr. Keenan’s resignation as pastor and placed him on an indefinite leave of absence. We apologize for the pain caused by his recent remarks,” read a tweet from the Archdiocese of Toronto.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

The resignation came after video surfaced last week of Keenan defending the Catholic Church and talking about how “many people had very positive experiences (at) residential schools.”

In the video, Keenan said: “I presume the same number would thank the Church for the good that was done in those schools, but of course that question was never asked. And in fact, we are not allowed to even say that good was done in those schools.”

In the video, followed the discovery of unmarked graves at a former residential school in British Columbia, Keenan also said: “We don’t know how those children died. We don’t and can’t know if they would have died had they stayed at home.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Charles Goforth of Peepeekisis Cree Nation of Saskatchewan, right, is joined by Cherokee Eagletail and Ansen Eagletail of Tsuut'ina Nation of Alberta as they drum and sing at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School to honour the 215 children whose remains have been discovered buried near the facility, in Kamloops, B.C., on June 3, 2021.
AGAR: Plenty of living political leaders who should answer for residential schools
People from Mosakahiken Cree Nation hug in front of a makeshift memorial at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School to honour the 215 children whose remains have been discovered buried near the facility, in Kamloops, B.C., Friday, June 4, 2021.
GUNTER: Release the residential schools documents

Keenan later apologized, telling CP24 in a statement: “I am deeply sorry, embarrassed, ashamed and shocked at the revelations of abuse, destruction and harm done in residential schools across this country.”

“As a Catholic and a priest, I in no way condone the residential school system, I regret deeply that these places existed, and I lament the harm that was caused,” Keenan said. “If and when I get a chance to meet survivors, I will seek their forgiveness.”

The church was vandalized Thursday.

The Indian Residential School Survivors Society toll free line is: 1-(800)-721-0066.
Yup telling the truth is a sin in Canada . So sad .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
"Young" and "boy" were the main characteristics of "prey" around here... no one particular racial group was singled out though.
Ya, just recently I read about how 150,000 children from the U.K. were brought over; males to work in the fields and females to work as household servants. I doubt if all of them, in fact it's been proven, that a lot of them were also abused. Having said that, it doesn't take away from the the Indigenous children were treated which was also disgusting. Thank god we don't do that anymore - we have and continue to evolve as a society altho' I have to admit, I'm not liking what I see for our kids in the future. Likely more abuse only of everyone but the elites!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Probably not. But I can see victims of pedophile priests wanting to remove any reminders.
How many pedophile priests were there ? Were there pedophile lay ministers in non catholic schools . Were priests the pedophiles in cadets and Boy Scouts ?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Another who bought into the myth.
Yup . Funny how prior to the residential schools most natives , in most of Canada lived a scattered nomadic hand to mouth existence with little or no grasp of modern society and language . Yet here we are a hundred and a quarter or so later and most if not all aboriginals are fully functional in the modern ways . Shit we can even cash our own government cheques .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How many pedophile priests were there ? Were there pedophile lay ministers in non catholic schools . Were priests the pedophiles in cadets and Boy Scouts ?
Probably all of them. If not guilty by association for not reporting the ones that did.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Probably all of them. If not guilty by association for not reporting the ones that did.
Really . Well if that is the case , all Boy Scout leaders are guilty by association as well . Is that the case ?