Elder
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Most cross border tribes can cross freely. As far as I know, the Sinixt are the only ones who cannot. BC and Canada have a long history of denying the Sinixt ever lived here. As afr back as the 1890's (I think) there were calls to restrict their access to their territory. It is a very long and convoluted tale. I'm not sure if the governemnt were confused about who they were or intentionally ignorant. I lean towards the latter. It is not as if they were not told by anthropologists at the time.
    In '89 when we had the road block at Vallican, many of the Sinixt who participated were from Washington state. Most had only heard stories of this village from their elders. Unfortunately, the Canadian government tagged those who came up and none of them are allowed back in Canada. The head man (they don't have chiefs, they are a matriarchal tribe) said that he thinks as many as 500 Sinixt would return to the northern part of their territory if the government would rescind their extinct status. Even in the US, they lost the right to live on any part of their territory, 20% of which is in the US, 80% is in Canada. You might find some interesting stuff here: First Nations - Sinixt
    Well, my health has improved since I moved out of town I have more energy. Last summer I built a free standing roof and porch from my trailer which made winter up here on the mountain quite comfortable. I lost a lot of weight doing that, but gained it back over winter. My heart seems to have healed more than the doctors told me it would. I probably have a lot of years left to haunt these forums and annoy the government over their treatment of my friends, the Sinixt people.
    I have forgotten how to navigate thru CC especially since I tend to be on iphone now.
    Hah! Mosquitoes!! The swat is pure reflex and difficult to prevent. Some of them are not going to be able to lay their eggs after all. Bears. Yes, I ran into many of them in the woods of BC. Mutual respect allowed us to part and go our own ways amicably. I was always on the lookout on and above ground, in spring, for cubs. If I saw or heard any I hightailed it out of there before mama bruin returned. They are magnificent indeed. I had a difficult year in 2012 but managed to survive yet again. I really did not think I was coming out of the last crisis. May I say that I amaze myself at times? I have recuperative powers I was not aware of in me. Husband is very pleased to have me home and mobile. How are you?
    The mosquitoes came out yesterday. The first ones are huge. They get smaller as summer progresses. If I can restrain from smashing the little buggers and let them bite me, I will be immune to their bite is a week. Looking forward to meeting my first bear. Magnificent creatures. I missed them the most.
    Nice to see you back. I hope your health is well. I'm doing better since I moved out of town and back to the forest.
    Have been here but not here. Feeling well again and happy to be back on CC. Looks everyone has been busy!
    Thanks , I should thank you more & more .*
    I know now where is the problem , it's just different cultures , that's it .
    For my language , I will keep going write many topics here and write many replies of you , really , I enjoyed here in this forum and in Canada at same time , but you know what I need ? I need to find Canadian friend as same as my age , but I did not find .
    I have just Arabic friend and this is bad thing for my English .
    I need Canadian friends :)

Thanks a lot
    HI Cliffy. Thank you for asking. I have been on self-ordered cybervacation to ensure that I gain some perspective re the amount of time spent on the computer. Although I must remain within a short distance of home due to health issues the brief, infrequent periods of sun shine are greatly enjoyed and I try to get out for a walk each day. Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Hi Elder. I hope you are well. I noticed that you have been missing for a couple of weeks. I hope you are on vacation and not having health problems.
    :lol: I'll bring the wine, pure maple syrup and a big bag as it's a heck of a long hike back to Toronto. Ta very much.

Actually we have inlaws on the Island. Haven't been out that way in a couple of years now so we're probably due.
    The Salmon just isn't the same.
    You are most welcome Unforgiven. It would be a pleasure to hand you a bouquet of fresh aromatic herbs.
    Very nice garden Elder. It must be very fragrant as it blooms. You grow your own fresh herbs too I see. Having them that fresh makes such a difference. Thanks for the pics.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…