Emergency Food Stores

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You're just making excuses for not getting in the tub, come on you'll be delicious er I mean fine.

If you want to see the essential reaction you'd get from a woman climbing into a tub of tobasco, squirt some in your eyes. 8O There'd be no lounging around basting. lol.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If you want to see the essential reaction you'd get from a woman climbing into a tub of tobasco, squirt some in your eyes. 8O There'd be no lounging around basting. lol.

Typical woman, complaining about the sauce, next it would be the water temperature then the cutlery and of course you would be fashionably late for dinner. Cooking a woman is not as easy as it first appears.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Typical woman, complaining about the sauce, next it would be the water temperature then the cutlery and of course you would be fashionably late for dinner. Cooking a woman is not as easy as it first appears.

You probably want to go with a man anyway. More meat (typically). The sauces won't be of the same concern to a man. And if you find yourself a bachelor, foie gras. ;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh, you wouldn't see that happening. Any woman with half a brain in her head will not crawl into a tub full of any sort of yeast containing product. 8O

How about a nice warm bath with rose petals placed on the water?

And perhaps some chocolate syrup and strawberries afterward?

Just ignore the barbecue heating up in the background...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Great topic...

We have a small cache of canned goods. Enough to compliment our diet of wild foods.

Not much more is needed. Living in a rural area, subsisting off the land will be quite easy. If this area became unlivable, moving further north to better grounds would be as easily done as will getting there.

Being able to track and hunt ones protein source is a handy dandy gift. ;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can guarantee if times got really hard, people here would take care of the jackrabbit problem the city has. lol.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Yes a knowledge of primitive survial strategies is very useful. Most folk today wouldn't have a clue how to butcher hang or dress an animal of any kind! But they would of course know that you can rob those who have made preparations and have the skills to survive. In an extreme scenario, it will be the two-legged variety of beast that will endanger the "survivor" most!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes a knowledge of primitive survial strategies is very useful. Most folk today wouldn't have a clue how to butcher hang or dress an animal of any kind! But they would of course know that you can rob those who have made preparations and have the skills to survive. In an extreme scenario, it will be the two-legged variety of beast that will endanger the "survivor" most!
Absolutely Mikey. So arming ones self is a must. Thank Gawd the left has made that easy.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
We recently watched that movie "Into the Wild"... and there was a scene where the guy shot a moose. He immediately ran into all kinds of trouble with dressing it. He couldn't keep the flies from swarming it and they ended up investing it with larvae before he could butcher it properly. Of course he was very weak from starvation so he couldn't move fast enough to get what he needed before that happened, but I suspect for many people new to hunting, they would be in a similar condition by the time they got around to trying to bring down something bigger than a rabbit.

Hunting is indeed a skill - so is knowing how to take care of the kill after you've brought it down - I'd be hooped in both cases.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We recently watched that movie "Into the Wild"... and there was a scene where the guy shot a moose. He immediately ran into all kinds of trouble with dressing it. He couldn't keep the flies from swarming it and they ended up investing it with larvae before he could butcher it properly. Of course he was very weak from starvation so he couldn't move fast enough to get what he needed before that happened, but I suspect for many people new to hunting, they would be in a similar condition by the time they got around to trying to bring down something bigger than a rabbit.
That kid was deluded. You should not, I won't say can not, but no one should ever walk into the bush with a book and believe they are going to survive. It will assist you, it won't save you.

Add tarps and large poly bags to your list of essential survival gear folks. As well as a colour picture book of edible plants. Practise identifying them before you are in distress. Trauma, stress, distress, fatigue and fear can lead to fatal errors in judgement and comprehension.

Hunting is indeed a skill - so is knowing how to take care of the kill after you've brought it down - I'd be hooped in both cases.
This is true, but it's no big secret and the amount of valuable literature on the subject is staggering. Even a cursory review of a wilderness hand book can make the difference between life and death. I realise that that may seem contradictory to my above statement, but it stands to be true. It's a 50/50 crap shoot.

Some suggested reading...

The edible wild, it's in black and white, but quite good.
The SAS Survival Hand book is good. I got that for my oldest.

Then go to any hunting forums and read about how and what hunters do to preserve their quarry.

You'ld be amazed how easy it is to make sausage out of Deer or other large game in your own kitchen.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to make a clean kill. But, I can proudly state that I'd be able to gut, skin, clean and hang whatever it is that finally fell to my clumsy attempts. One of the bonuses of growing up on a farm is knowing some of those basics.

alypipes

May 8, 2008
southeast bc
My father and I grow and can alot and are constantly trading food. My family has hunted for generations and I always have lots of meat in the freezer, some of this I use to make jerky. Fishing is not only fun but I like to can some salmon every year. I figured out that I was saving money by flying into a fishing camp and catching my fish. Based on what I would pay at Safeway and what my trip costs I pay 1/3 grocery store rates and the fish is better.