How many here use a breadmaker?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A couple or three years ago we bought ourselves a Black & Decker breadmaker for Christmas. We have hardly bought a loaf of bread since. The bread they turn out is great. The only criticism I can think of is the size and shape of the loaf.......Not a big problem since you can bake the bread in your own bread pans. The beauty is that you don't have to get up to your elbows in flour. Does anyone here make their own bread?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A couple or three years ago we bought ourselves a Black & Decker breadmaker for Christmas. We have hardly bought a loaf of bread since. The bread they turn out is great. The only criticism I can think of is the size and shape of the loaf.......Not a big problem since you can bake the bread in your own bread pans. The beauty is that you don't have to get up to your elbows in flour. Does anyone here make their own bread?

We actually wore out our first breadmaker, we used it so much. Don't use it as often these days, but now I'm hungry for a loaf.

We've never used mixes, always use recipes in the manual or on the net....oatmeal brown bread is awesome, I like the 7 grain made with red river cereal, too....now i know what i'm going to do. oatmeal brown bread, put it on now, it'll be ready when i get back from my daughter's power skating clinic.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
They are great. Just make sure you measure exactly and don't buy too much yeast at one time as it tends to die. That makes for a brick of a loaf. :smile:

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Thanks for the link, #juan. Between you and Unf, I feel as though I'm in cooking school and am scoring tremendous recipes!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I do but I knead my own dough. I usually only make it for weekends or a special dinner, rolls and when I want garlic toast to go with Bruschetta or something like that. Otherwise I just look for some whole grain junk in the store.

There is something I'm mucking about with now though called Tannour bread. It's Lebanese or there abouts. It's a flat bread much like a Roti skin but without the chick peas. You warm it a bit after it's baked and then break pieces off to form a small scoop. Bits are layered on top of each other to make a small scoop. You then scoop whatever into it like a small edible spoon. Pop the whole thing in your mouth. Yellow rice, butter chicken, hummus, tabouli couscous anything like that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My only problem with breadmakers is the size and shape of the loaf. Quite often I will dump the dough out of the bread maker and shape it into the traditional long, skinny French bread shape and bake it on a cookie sheet. Either that or bake it in standard bread pan(s). Sometimes it's good to have your slice of bread fit in the toaster...:smile:

Unf that Tannour bread sounds interesting.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My only problem with breadmakers is the size and shape of the loaf. Quite often I will dump the dough out of the bread maker and shape it into the traditional long, skinny French bread shape and bake it on a cookie sheet. Either that or bake it in standard bread pan(s). Sometimes it's good to have your slice of bread fit in the toaster...:smile:

Unf that Tannour bread sounds interesting.

I agree about the size and shape. I haven't used my bread maker since the spring. It's stew season now though so it's time. I was just looking at it yesterday and thinking it was time to dust it off.

One of the huge mistakes I made at the beginning was deciding I needed to try every bread in the manual. I bought enough different flours to feed an army. Long story short, I got little bugs in one of the bags and they migrated. Holy geez I was cleaning for weeks and every black speck I saw freaked me out. Flour stores well in the freezer I have since learnt and even if there are eggs it won't hatch.

*shuddering just thinking of those little thingies*

I love the smell in the house...fresh bread... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oohhhhhh, I want fresh bread baking.... now!!!​

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I agree about the size and shape. I haven't used my bread maker since the spring. It's stew season now though so it's time. I was just looking at it yesterday and thinking it was time to dust it off.

One of the huge mistakes I made at the beginning was deciding I needed to try every bread in the manual. I bought enough different flours to feed an army. Long story short, I got little bugs in one of the bags and they migrated. Holy geez I was cleaning for weeks and every black speck I saw freaked me out. Flour stores well in the freezer I have since learnt and even if there are eggs it won't hatch.

*shuddering just thinking of those little thingies*

I love the smell in the house...fresh bread... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Sal
We have these big Rubbermaid containers....almost like Tupperware, to keep flour and sugar,etc., in. There are several sizes. The second largest one will hold ten kilograms of flour which is about as much as my wife wants to lift. Never had a problem with bugs.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sal
We have these big Rubbermaid containers....almost like Tupperware, to keep flour and sugar,etc., in. There are several sizes. The second largest one will hold ten kilograms of flour which is about as much as my wife wants to lift. Never had a problem with bugs.

Not to worry.....

Ya get worms long before they turn into bugs ;-)

Protein....

Woof!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sal
Yeah, I did the bulk food store thing. Apparently flour can have weavils. Can't help it. The eggs can already be there. Doesn't matter how tight the container is, they will hatch regardless. Well, except then they can't get out...that would help.... eeeeewwwww....

My current S/O owned pizza stores. They kept their flour frozen for that reason. Now I do too.

Bless me father for I have sinned... confession. I am a germo-phobe. I can't help it. Bugs and I don't mesh. :D