What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Are you taking about a "cross-rib" roast? I generally cook a cross-rib as a pot roast....Brown it first and then braise it covered for a few hours.....Haven't yet used a torch....but I have an open mind.....I'll try anything...;-)

Just back a bit from that cut, between shortloin and chuck, it's the prime rib.
I'm going to have a go at this one I think. I need to buy a good internal thermometer though. From what I've read, it's a very narrow window to hit for a perfect steak.

I read that I want the cap and feather bones left on, but I'm not positive about
trimming the outside from aged meat. There is supposed to be a butcher that ages up to 8 to 10 weeks here so that is probably the man I want to talk to.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I found one of the things that will ruin even a perfect steak is the serving platter.......A cast Iron serving dish will keep your steak hot so you can take your time savouring it while drinking a good wine and will taste good to the last bite.......:lol:But I think you already know that;-)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I found one of the things that will ruin even a perfect steak is the serving platter.......A cast Iron serving dish will keep your steak hot so you can take your time savouring it while drinking a good wine and will taste good to the last bite.......:lol:But I think you already know that;-)

I had a nice set of wooden plates with a cast iron insert that could be heated up prior to serving so that the whole shooting match could make a table setting. Knives and forks too but I've gone and lost the lot of them.

Since, we use, or try to use warmed plates set over the toaster over when we start cooking so that are hot but not too hot to handle when serving. Cold meat turns me off! heh

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I reckon the absolute best steak for taste, tenderness, is the ribeye. I think we are caught a little by terms here because a ribeye has got to be a prime rib steak.
I've never considered searing and then cooking the steak covered but nothing is cast in stone. My only comment is the thicker the steak, the wider the window for turning out a good steak The difference between perfect and "also ran" might be a matter of a couple or three minutes. I'm sure you know all this. I'm just sitting here running off at the mouth/keyboard...:roll::smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's all good! Just picked up a digital thermometer. So I can now get the meat out when it's hit the perfect temperature.

I was struck by the Ribeye not long ago too. Seems to be what is selling gets the price hike round here to I look for cuts of beef and pork that have dropped off in popularity. Ribs for example, at the moment are going cheap so I've picked up a few racks to add to the freezer. Anyway, I had picked up a number of different cuts as my daughter was on a bit of a beef kick so I had a few ribeye steaks in the lot. I was slammed at how tender and flavourful it was once plated.

Something I've noticed as well with any good steak is to keep it simple. I've just last night tried a salad made out of head lettuce cored and then immersed in ice water for twenty minutes, drained and added ripe tomato chunked, and cuke, mushrooms and a vinaigrette made from EV olive oil, apple cider vinegar and fresh dill. Simple and the crispness of the salad brings out the savory in the steak.

Steak and a salad would have made me think the meal was light but afterward I found myself very satisfied with it.
I reckon the absolute best steak for taste, tenderness, is the ribeye. I think we are caught a little by terms here because a ribeye has got to be a prime rib steak.
I've never considered searing and then cooking the steak covered but nothing is cast in stone. My only comment is the thicker the steak, the wider the window for turning out a good steak The difference between perfect and "also ran" might be a matter of a couple or three minutes. I'm sure you know all this. I'm just sitting here running off at the mouth/keyboard...:roll::smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds excellent. I would put weight in that meal by adding a half loaf of French bread........Only as a vehicle for the juices on the plate you understand......not wanting to waste....:smile:

Here is a link regarding beef steaks

http://tinyurl.com/2lnmlo

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Gee, I hate to intrude but please may I be included! Please, please, please! I love pecan pie! Everything else sounds so good, too! I can being a great new recipe I found for sweet potatoes.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Aww, #juan, you're so sweet. I see that I missed the first adventure...but that's ok, the second one will be even better. And I'll bring some extra wine...just in case. ;-)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well it's in the oven. I've rubbed it with garlic, sage, infused in olive oil and then coated the outside with course salt and cracked peppercorn. I was too chicken to try the blow torch so I put it into a 500 degree over for twenty minutes o sear the outside. Now it slow cooks for 14 hours.
Start you engines! :lol:

#juan,
the rib cut I got was from the fore part of the rib section there. It's been aged for 7 weeks in a meat cooler. The outside looks a little scary for the uninitiated. Very dark and almost leathery. But the butcher sliced it open slightly on the edge to show a deep rich red meat nice an marbled.
I couldn't help it though I trimmed it once I got it home. The dog is damn happy at the moment. heh heh

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well it's in the oven. I've rubbed it with garlic, sage, infused in olive oil and then coated the outside with course salt and cracked peppercorn. I was too chicken to try the blow torch so I put it into a 500 degree over for twenty minutes o sear the outside. Now it slow cooks for 14 hours.
Start you engines! :lol:

#juan,
the rib cut I got was from the fore part of the rib section there. It's been aged for 7 weeks in a meat cooler. The outside looks a little scary for the uninitiated. Very dark and almost leathery. But the butcher sliced it open slightly on the edge to show a deep rich red meat nice an marbled.
I couldn't help it though I trimmed it once I got it home. The dog is damn happy at the moment. heh heh

Now, do you slow cook it in the oven? What temperature? I will try this.

I should think the dog would be ecstatic to have a bit of steak that cost at least seven or eight dollars a pound...:smile:....What the hell, what are friends for....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Now, do you slow cook it in the oven? What temperature? I will try this.

I should think the dog would be ecstatic to have a bit of steak that cost at least seven or eight dollars a pound...:smile:....What the hell, what are friends for....

I do slow cook it in the oven at 225. The inside temp was140. and it was a 5 rib roast. It's covered and basted and has been out since around 5 this morning. It's amazing but I'm not so impressed with the course salt and cracked peppercorn crust. I think I would do better with something like our usual rub for ribs with a little more heat.

The meat is ver nice though, and you would never expect a roast to be this juicy and tender.

So for tonight I will be each steak into the broiler for a minute or so per side and then plate it quickly and serve. I'll roast some veggies to dress it and Yorkshire pudding and gravy.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
And dinner is at what time again????????
(wipes drool from chin)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I do slow cook it in the oven at 225. The inside temp was140. and it was a 5 rib roast. It's covered and basted and has been out since around 5 this morning. It's amazing but I'm not so impressed with the course salt and cracked peppercorn crust. I think I would do better with something like our usual rub for ribs with a little more heat.

The meat is ver nice though, and you would never expect a roast to be this juicy and tender.

So for tonight I will be each steak into the broiler for a minute or so per side and then plate it quickly and serve. I'll roast some veggies to dress it and Yorkshire pudding and gravy.

Sounds really good. We just had a nice roast last week and we are planning steak for dinner on Wednesday so I won't be doing your beef roast until probably the week-end. You mentioned Yorkshire Pudding and it brought to mind a recipe that I got from someone who's Yorkshire was always to die for. Here's the recipe.
First you need a tall Waring or Osterizer blender or some kind of a tall blender.
You pour into blender: A half cup of milk, a half cup of water, a level teaspoon of salt, and three eggs.
Put cover on blender and starting at low speed, work it up to hight speed. Remove lid and with blender still going at high speed, start pouring flour into the whirling egg mixture. You will notice that there is a deep hole in the mixture right down to the blender blades. Gently pour in flour until that hole is completely closed.
Using the normal method of cooking Yorkshire Pudding...Heating muffin pans, pouring beef drippings, lard(no vegetable oil) into muffin pans, reheating pans, pouring batter into hot muffin pans, baking at 425 degrees for 20 -25 minutes.

Before I got that recipe I made the odd pan of little hockey pucks.....This seems always to work....for some reason....:smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The Yorkies sound great. I'll try it tonight I think. Having a difficult time not to keep picking at the meat. This is more of a problem than I anticipated. :)

Sounds really good. We just had a nice roast last week and we are planning steak for dinner on Wednesday so I won't be doing your beef roast until probably the week-end. You mentioned Yorkshire Pudding and it brought to mind a recipe that I got from someone who's Yorkshire was always to die for. Here's the recipe.
First you need a tall Waring or Osterizer blender or some kind of a tall blender.
You pour into blender: A half cup of milk, a half cup of water, a level teaspoon of salt, and three eggs.
Put cover on blender and starting at low speed, work it up to hight speed. Remove lid and with blender still going at high speed, start pouring flour into the whirling egg mixture. You will notice that there is a deep hole in the mixture right down to the blender blades. Gently pour in flour until that hole is completely closed.
Using the normal method of cooking Yorkshire Pudding...Heating muffin pans, pouring beef drippings, lard(no vegetable oil) into muffin pans, reheating pans, pouring batter into hot muffin pans, baking at 425 degrees for 20 -25 minutes.

Before I got that recipe I made the odd pan of little hockey pucks.....This seems always to work....for some reason....:smile:

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
OMG, you two men are making me drool so much. I'm with you, Brat. When's dinner? Wow, does it ever sound fabulous!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I love yorkshire puddings! It's the only reason to have roast beef. Something to sop up the gravy. I think I could live on yorkshire puddings and gravy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Yorkies sound great. I'll try it tonight I think. Having a difficult time not to keep picking at the meat. This is more of a problem than I anticipated. :)

There are times when snacking on some leftovers is absolutely habit forming. A mostly whole, leftover turkey, with all the leftover trimmings is one of the two worst things to attract weak-willed snackers. A done to a turn, leftover beef roast is the other one. I've been known to eat cold, leftover Yorkshire puddings with a slice of cold roast beef at two in the morning...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A new one I'm trying tonight:
Rigatoni with a butternut squash sauce, with basil garlic shrimp and parmesan cheese. It seems like something just right for a cold blustery day.

I found the recipe for it on the Food Network website.