Coffee

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Use less coffee...

Muz

Believe me, I tried a lot of things to get good tasting coffee out of that Moka, causing an explosion was just one (accidentally of course). Most of the pressure is built up from the small holes in the screen. I am pretty sure that the water can defuse faster through the grounds than the through the holes. So I believe sure you keep the gounds compressed to avoid residue on the machine which eventually molds. Of course, its not like I solved some PDE's here, so this is all hand waving.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh no! I've done that exact same thing. Yep big mess.

I'd like to find one of those old European ornate coffee makers to put on the boat. It would be pretty cool to get one that could be refitted to work right.
Any of these would be perfect.

http://www.mrespresso.com/machines_antiques.html

It seems to me if I was having to choose a coffee maker to go in a small space, the one I have right now is what I'd choose. You can be as simple as just making a pot of drip coffee, or you can fancy it up and make yourself a capuccino.

http://www.westbend.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&secid=3&linkon=subsection&linkid=92&itemid=2655

Reactions: shadowshiv
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
anyone like the french press ...i bought an extra screen to fit my bodum...

the water is passed through expresso too quickly to get the caffiene...i drink coffee for caffiene....i grind my own...usually use a melitta with brown filter....the french press is hard to get the knack...it's all in the grind....needs coarser grind....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

the water is passed through expresso too quickly to get the caffiene...i drink coffee for caffiene....i grind my own...usually use a melitta with brown filter....the french press is hard to get the knack...it's all in the grind....needs coarser grind....

I'm hardcore. I can drink fine grind in a french press. You just relax and enjoy, and don't chug the last half inch of your mug. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I have never been much of a coffee drinker. If I get anything from Timmy's it is either a FV cap or a large chocolate milk.

Speaking of coffee beans, isn't there a bean that is harvested from an animal's dung after the outer layer of the bean has been digested by the animal? I think if costs over $100 for a can, which is grossly expensive!8O

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I have never been much of a coffee drinker. If I get anything from Timmy's it is either a FV cap or a large chocolate milk.

Speaking of coffee beans, isn't there a bean that is harvested from an animal's dung after the outer layer of the bean has been digested by the animal? I think if costs over $100 for a can, which is grossly expensive!8O
lol yer serious??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

It's harvested from cat dung isn't it? Civets I think.

Not only does it digest the cherry part off, but it also ferments the bean a bit.

Yum?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's harvested from cat dung isn't it? Civets I think.

Not only does it digest the cherry part off, but it also ferments the bean a bit.

Yum?

Yes, I do believe that is the bean I am thinking of. Somewhere in South America, isn't it?

I have heard of beans being the magical fruit and making you toot, but I think this is taking it too literally.:p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Cool you got to do the dried apple tobacco hooka pipe deal....the men will freak!!!!

yeah... nothing says holiday fun like flying in the face of cultural convention in semi-tumultuous countries! Woo-hoo!!

lol.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It seems to me if I was having to choose a coffee maker to go in a small space, the one I have right now is what I'd choose. You can be as simple as just making a pot of drip coffee, or you can fancy it up and make yourself a capuccino.

http://www.westbend.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&secid=3&linkon=subsection&linkid=92&itemid=2655

A very practical choice Karrie. I have something along those lines now and it does a fine job. But I'm after something more ornate that can still make a killer cup. And space isn't as big an issue.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

You're thinking of a palm civet which is a cat like creature in Indonesia. They eat the ripest coffee beans and pass them through unscathed and then they are collected. So it's not really digested as much as passed through the digestive tract.

Usually you would either buy it freshly roasted on site or buy the beans and roast them, grind them and then brew them within a week of roasting them.
It is very expensive but then it's a particular taste. I'm not too impressed with it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I suppose I'll find out, if I make it to Istanbul in the spring like we're hoping.

Turkey was one of the first places to really get into coffee after it came out of Ethipoia. They would brew this horrid looking sludge and filter it through a sack. Probably the first drip coffee maker actually.

The Islamists wanted it banned and a sheik who ruled the land at that time tasted coffee and declared it a fine drink. From that moment forward it caught on like wild fire.

I understand you can get the real deal in the alley ways there. Also look for these grills that serve bbq. They are from what I'm told scary looking to most westerners but have fantastic food and drink inside. Always if the locals are eating there it should be good.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Not true. While one normal serving of coffee has more caffeine than one normal serving of percolated coffee, the caffeine content per volume of espresso is much higher than that of percolated coffee. Also, where you are drinking less volume you are digesting it faster and subsequently will experience a higher peak. The relevant numbers are: 51.33 mg/oz for espresso, 18.13 mg/oz for percolated (drip) coffee and only 13.44 mg/oz for french press (brewed).

One thing you should note is that coffee is not a major diuretic. It has basically the same diuretic properties as water. So the reason you have to go to the bathroom so much after drinking coffee is that you just drank a bunch of water. Switch to espresso and you won't have as much of a problem.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Not true. While one normal serving of coffee has more caffeine than one normal serving of percolated coffee, the caffeine content per volume of espresso is much higher than that of percolated coffee. Also, where you are drinking less volume you are digesting it faster and subsequently will experience a higher peak. The relevant numbers are: 51.33 mg/oz for espresso, 18.13 mg/oz for percolated (drip) coffee and only 13.44 mg/oz for french press (brewed).

One thing you should note is that coffee is not a major diuretic. It has basically the same diuretic properties as water. So the reason you have to go to the bathroom so much after drinking coffee is that you just drank a bunch of water. Switch to espresso and you won't have as much of a problem.

Interesting site. I wonder of that FIXX energy drink is available in Canada?

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen

I stand corrected....maybe it was to do with the beans of expresso use being more roasted and the cafiene gets burned off that way?