2024 CFL Season

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Long odds against the Bombers and Tiger Cats at home while Toronto is also an underdog in Calgary despite a good chance to win this week.

Good luck to Tre Ford but I think Sask has no trouble with the Elks. Riders will need to score some points but barring disaster should be able to do enough.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Long odds against the Bombers and Tiger Cats at home while Toronto is also an underdog in Calgary despite a good chance to win this week.

Good luck to Tre Ford but I think Sask has no trouble with the Elks. Riders will need to score some points but barring disaster should be able to do enough.
Wrong kind of cat. Its Lions at Winnipeg tonight. This is one game it wouldn't bother me one bit if Bombers won.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Wrong kind of cat. Its Lions at Winnipeg tonight. This is one game it wouldn't bother me one bit if Bombers won.
Montreal at Hamilton tomorrow. Both Hamilton and Toronto playing Calgary are paying 2.60 for a win.

All goes back to banks not wanting people to have money and to use credit cards.

Winnipeg is 2.50 to win. It'll be a battle of the beasts with Oliviera and Stanback. Either team could win and Winnipeg's chances improve if they can get to Vernon Adams. Home town refs seldom let the Bombers down.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Where the hell is BC's defense.....or is it because of climate change? Whatever the reason they failed and VA might be out for the season.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Where the hell is BC's defense.....or is it because of climate change? Whatever the reason they failed and VA might be out for the season.
That's Rick Campbell's team. He had lots of chances to make different choices. Truthfully not entirely transitioned from David Braley yet with McEvoy and Campbell left standing at this point. McEvoy was not Wally Buono's pick and you can tell by the lack of respect for Wally. They inducted him on the same night as the Waterboys.

Also glad for Lucky Whitehead to show he did not lose a step. Bonus for Winnipeg is selling some Whitehead #13 jerseys. They should be using him on kicks.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Believe the end of the Orlando Steinhauer era in Hamilton is nigh. The team appears to be in a fog and had little to show against Montreal. Not sure how long his current deal runs but could see the team move on after the season. Could be that the guy up from him is the real problem but one at a time. They all want to win.

Receivers are not a strong point at this point. Tim White continues to under perform. Maybe Brayden Lenius could help.

Also seeing a trend with the Montreal defense shutting teams down. Calgary had 106 yds passing and everyone is saying what is wrong with Jake Maier. Now what is wrong with Bo Levi.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Riders were lucky / unlucky / lucky and came away with a point. I lost my bet on Ottawa to win.

Hard fought game though. Unfortunate that the command center had to get involved. For the record I thought the Ottawa defender reached over the shoulder and deflected the ball and the game should have been over.

A bit spooked as well over how often games in Ottawa are played in the rain but at least they didn't have the wind. Every new stadiums should have been a dome imo.

Disappointed we did not see Jerimiah Masoli who was dressed. Wild scene at the end with Bob Dyce trying to get in a fight and being restrained.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Riders were lucky / unlucky / lucky and came away with a point. I lost my bet on Ottawa to win.

Hard fought game though. Unfortunate that the command center had to get involved. For the record I thought the Ottawa defender reached over the shoulder and deflected the ball and the game should have been over.

A bit spooked as well over how often games in Ottawa are played in the rain but at least they didn't have the wind. Every new stadiums should have been a dome imo.

Disappointed we did not see Jerimiah Masoli who was dressed. Wild scene at the end with Bob Dyce trying to get in a fight and being restrained.
What a weird ride thst was.

Tonight Stamps or Arghos? I say Stamps but standings wise I'd prefer they lose.

Alouettes over Hamilton is a no brainer but BC without VA against the Elk is a wildcard.

Winnipeg is at 9 games so theyre sitting out this weekend.

Reactions: bob the dog

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Nick Arbuckle tonight for the Argos. Do we see Chad Kelly next week?

Either team could win the Grey Cup if they play to their potential. I chose not to bet this one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Was at the Argos game vs the Stampeders tonight. It was a good game. The Argos did didly squat first half. Seemed to come alive in the second half.

Stupid coaching decision of the game: Calgary down 7 in the 4th with about 10 minutes left on the clock. 3rd and a long 1 on their own 30 yard line (ish). Obvious punting situation. They went for it. And they didn't do the drive forward QB sneak type play which they had run successfully earlier (in better situations). Instead they stepped back a couple of yards to try and go around the line. They lost a couple yards and turned the ball over on downs. That was likely the game.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Meltdown in BC with a huge game with Winnipeg this week. Looking square in the eye of GM Neil McEvoy for this mess.

Edmonton is back on track and lucks out a bit by having Tre Ford get injured and allowing MBT to get back on the field and play well. BC defense was terrible. Hamilton needs something similar to happen to get Bo Levi back out there. First and 20 is a tough down to pick up 15 or so on one play. That is when you need a mobile QB so they don't see that rush 3 defense. Tre Ford was 6 / 6 in almost a full half.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Sad day to see the Edmonton Elks sold to a private investor after 75 years of community ownership. As nice as the guy seems to be it won't be the same. Maybe he has plans to build a new stadium.

Not a fan. Think it was as bad a move as possible. Leaves Saskatchewan and Winnipeg as the only community teams left and both of them have already been hijacked but still.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Chad Kelly re-instated with conditions. CFL made a far bigger deal of this than it warranted imo given no charges were ever laid. It's how the Winnipeg Blue Bombers win Grey Cups.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
‘Tremendous player’: Canadian QB Nathan Rourke returning to B.C. Lions reverberates through CFL
By Justin Dunk -August 17, 2024

Courtesy: B.C. Lions
Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke coming back north of the border has been noticed by head coaches around the CFL.

“From a league standpoint anytime a good quarterback enters our league or re-enters our league that’s good,” Mike O’Shea said. “I know he’s a good quarterback, they didn’t sign him not to play him. He’s been in the system, he knows what to do, he’s a smart guy. He can learn whatever new parts of the playbook are there for him to learn, you don’t sign a guy like that not to play him.”

“Tremendous player, I think everybody in the country knows that,” Corey Mace said. “Being a Canadian and being a CFL guy, I think it’s excellent for the league. I’m happy if Nathan’s happy and it’s only going to draw more eyes to the CFL. I wish him really all the best except for when we play.”

“B.C.’s been playing at a high level with their quarterback play all year, Vernon’s been doing a tremendous job,” Jason Maas said. “When you have two guys that are capable of playing at an MOP level it bodes well for their team, but also I think it’s great for the league. I think it’s a great thing ultimately for our league to have Nathan back.”

“Really, really good player, great for the CFL,” Scott Milanovich said. “Great for the B.C. Lions especially with Vernon being injured, there’s nothing negative about that.”

Rourke signed a lucrative three-year contract which has money in the final two years not seen in the CFL in quite some time. He’s scheduled to earn $749,200 in hard money in 2025 and $809,000 in hard money in 2026. There are $6,000 in award incentives available in both seasons, taking his earning potential to $755,200 and $815,000 respectively each year.

The Victoria, B.C. native started 10 games in 2022 when he threw for 3,349 yards with 25 touchdowns compared to 10 interceptions. He ran 39 times for 304 yards and seven majors.

The dual-threat QB set the record for best single-season completion percentage in CFL history at 78.7 percent. The last time Rourke played in a full regular season game, he set the record for most passing yards in a game by a Canadian with 488.

Rourke takes aim at leading the Lions to become the first team to win the Grey Cup on home turf since the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2013. The B.C. Lions (5-4) host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (3-6) on Sunday, Aug. 18 with kickoff slated for 7:00 p.m. EDT.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Chad Kelly re-instated with conditions. CFL made a far bigger deal of this than it warranted imo given no charges were ever laid. It's how the Winnipeg Blue Bombers win Grey Cups.

CFL is quite hypocritical too. The BC Lions opened with a concert from a CONVICTED abuser who not only abused his ex-gf but trashed her place too. But that is acceptable.