2024 CFL Season

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd like to know if Shawn Lemon won his bet or if his team lost that day that would cast doubt on his commitment to play well for the team. If so I am thinking we would have heard of it.

Bottom line it is a tricky situation to accuse someone of something unethical when personal history has shown indifference to similar situations dependent on individual agenda.

Why now is the CFL making a stand on gender based violence? To gain an advantage on the field seems like the real reason imo.
Did cfl invest in bet365 or similar? If so that's a whole new ballgame legally.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Clearing skies with winds out of the northwest in Winnipeg should not be a factor for tonight's game.

Surprised how many are picking the Bombers in the pick'em leagues. I see 2 rookie corners and a special teamer playing MLB under a first year defensive coordinator with a no name D line. Anyone not concerned should be imo.

Montreal has Sankey, Beveridge, and Stubblefield at LB, a solid secondary led by Marc-Antoine Dequoy, and a feared defensive line led by Shawn Lemon. I can't wait for Lemon to sack Collaros and watch for the flags to fly. Then the rules committee will ban him for life from that. Fajardo has a solid crew on his side of the ball as well. I can see Fletcher having a good game with a decent chance of Tyson Snead getting a td or two. Motreal has recruited well.

Bombers only chance will be a bunch of turnovers and return tds. Anything out of the norm will work in their favour. Last I saw was -7.5 so I am going against many who feel differently. Makes me wonder what they are smoking.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Cha-ching.

Bombers rested 11 starters through training camp and it showed. Question is will they be better next week vs Ottawa?

Nice fantasy night for Tyson Philpot with 10 catches, 145 yds, and 2 tds. Als could have had more.

Controversy as well over the chip in the td causing one team to miss fgs and the other to do well. Expect a rules committee meeting soon.

Should be a good one tonight with Hamilton in Calgary. Too close to call for me. I do have Tim White and Reggie Begelton in my fantasy lineup and expect good games from both Bo Levi and Jake Maier. Hamilton may be a bit banged up and Calgary will really want to win. Two good teams.

Sorry if I am boring others with this thread. I do believe there is potential for discussion with other fans given the popularity of the league.

Argos and Edmonton to win in the other two this weekend imo. Two more good teams.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cha-ching.

Bombers rested 11 starters through training camp and it showed. Question is will they be better next week vs Ottawa?

Nice fantasy night for Tyson Philpot with 10 catches, 145 yds, and 2 tds. Als could have had more.

Controversy as well over the chip in the td causing one team to miss fgs and the other to do well. Expect a rules committee meeting soon.

Should be a good one tonight with Hamilton in Calgary. Too close to call for me. I do have Tim White and Reggie Begelton in my fantasy lineup and expect good games from both Bo Levi and Jake Maier. Hamilton may be a bit banged up and Calgary will really want to win. Two good teams.

Sorry if I am boring others with this thread. I do believe there is potential for discussion with other fans given the popularity of the league.

Argos and Edmonton to win in the other two this weekend imo. Two more good teams.
What was with Demski not doing spring training?

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
FNF.... its summer!

Ti-Cats at Stampeders.

Bo Levi in yellow and black...
Very good game that the Ti-Cats could have won with strong games from both Jake Maier and Bo Levi. Overall Calgary needed the points more. Dave Dickenson will be happy.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Very good game that the Ti-Cats could have won with strong games from both Jake Maier and Bo Levi. Overall Calgary needed the points more. Dave Dickenson will be happy.
Both teams struggled to make plays in the first half. In the second tbe dynamic shifted and it got going. Maier is going to be a QB to contend with.

Now to see what green and white can do today at 2PM MT

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Big points for Rider Nation to start the season that might come in handy at the end of the year. Elks can be somewhat happy about how they played but the Riders will be happy to take the points. Chris Jones possibly deserved better for the work he has done.

Not pretty and three 4th quarter tds to Shawn Bane were needed to save the day for a great start to his fantasy season. Hergy Mayala scored twice for the Elks in a career revival game. Elks have a potent attack with Gittens, Lewis, and MItchell all looking good and now a QB that can hit them with the ball.

TSN once again lost the game with the endless interviews with past greats as the play went on in the 2nd half.

Hamilton next for the Riders which will be tough as will Montreal be for Edmonton. Neither team will want to go 0-2.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Big points for Rider Nation to start the season that might come in handy at the end of the year. Elks can be somewhat happy about how they played but the Riders will be happy to take the points. Chris Jones possibly deserved better for the work he has done.

Not pretty and three 4th quarter tds to Shawn Bane were needed to save the day for a great start to his fantasy season. Hergy Mayala scored twice for the Elks in a career revival game. Elks have a potent attack with Gittens, Lewis, and MItchell all looking good and now a QB that can hit them with the ball.

TSN once again lost the game with the endless interviews with past greats as the play went on in the 2nd half.

Hamilton next for the Riders which will be tough as will Montreal be for Edmonton. Neither team will want to go 0-2.
How many elks are in a herd of elk?

Like last night, lots of first game jitters and unpolished plays that smoothed out in the 3rd and 4th.

Go Rutgers!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am an Argos season ticket holder. Last year was a great regular season with a disappointing finish. This year the Argos have lost a lot of free agents. And our QB is kind of suspended. So wasn't expecting much. Over the past several years when I have gone to a BC @ Toronto game it has always been a close hard fought game regardless of who was where on the standings. Tonight was no exception. Argos scored first but missed the PAT (new kicker -- needs work). The wheels came off the boat for a bit as BC scored 20 (they also fumbled a PAT). This 20 included a TD from a fumble by our QB. However, the Argos regrouped and trailed 20-16 at the half. The second half they played very well. The defence started to come together. They sacked the BC QB several times. They got him to fumble once on 3rd and 1. BC recovered but short of line of gain.

There were a couple controversial calls. BC facing 2nd and long "completed" a pass to a receiver heading out of bounds. He got 1 foot in and the refs called it a catch. However, replay showed the BC receiver bobbled the ball slightly after the catch. I have seen several calls reversed in the NFL for bobbles less than this one. However, I guess the CFL rules are more forgiving as it withstood the Argo challenge.

Also in the dying minutes of the game, the Argos defence had forced BC into a 3rd and 25 at about the 5 with BC down 29-27. They Argos had the BC QB running back to the end zone then hoisting the ball out of bounds. The refs dropped the flag and called intentional grounding. The stands were rather loud so I could not here the refs but one of 2 things happened. They either did not call him doing it in the end zone or Toronto declined the penalty (is that possible)? If the penalty was enforced it should have been a safety and a free kick. Instead it was first and goal at the 1 for the Argos. They immediately scored a TD. Had they been able to get the PAT, the game would have been over. They could not. But they did manage to stop BC from scoring on the next drive so they did win the game 35-27.

As always, a very exciting game. I don't think the Argos are as good as last year but their defense is promising and they seem to be playing more as a team this year without the flashy players. We need to fix our kicking game. Our punter was amazing but the 2 PATS are unacceptable.

We have a bye in week 2 (get a 10th team -- I hate these byes). Then we host Edmonton.