WE really need to get rid of this guy

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No politician has ever gone wrong by underestimating the stupidity of the electorate (in any nation).
"No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people, nor lost public office thereby."
--H. L. Mencken

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
"No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people, nor lost public office thereby."
--H. L. Mencken
too wordy

I like ski's better

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1699668854283.jpeg
The Irony of the Algorithm selecting ads based upon content? Is that what’s happening here?
1699668982907.jpeg
It might come as a surprise to Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly, but the most pressing issue in global politics is not keeping the NDP happy and the “progressive” wing of the Liberal party satisfied.

Her constantly shifting positions on Israel’s war with Hamas terrorists in Gaza are either evidence of her going rogue, being completely unaware of what the government’s policy is or that she really does think that the “ceasefire-now, Hamas are freedom fighters” faction of the left is the Liberals’ most important constituency.

Is the policy of the Canadian government that Hamas be permitted to continue governing Gaza? Joly seems to think it is, as she expressed her wish for a “détente” between Israel and Hamas, so as to allow, “I hope, even more negotiations at a negotiating table where there are Israelis, Hamas and Qatar, which is present … as moderator.” (???)

It seems clear that what Joly is suggesting here is that Hamas be treated as an equal partner with Israel, despite the fact that it is a terrorist organization that started this war when, on Oct. 7, it slaughtered around 1,200 Israelis, mostly civilians, for the simple fact that they were Jewish.

As much as the conditions regular Palestinians live under are awful, and frequently horrific, Hamas did not attack Israel on a mission of “resistance.”

No one denies Palestinians should be involved in the future governance of Gaza, but Joly believes Hamas specifically should have a seat at the table, or at least those are what the words that came out of her mouth suggests she believes.
Joly said she hopes the humanitarian pauses allow not just for hostages and foreigners to flee Gaza, but for further negotiations that could result in an eventual end to the carnage.

“This will allow a sort of détente, and therefore allow, I hope, even more negotiations at the negotiation table, where there are the Israelis, Hamas and Qatar present at the negotiation table as a moderator,” Joly said in French.
She said it would also allow a form of “détente and so allow, I hope, even more negotiations at a negotiating table where there are Israelis, Hamas and Qatar which is present ... as moderator.”

But Canada has never called for a ceasefire, never set out what it considers the proper “conditions” that might lead to one, and has never suggested that it would view Hamas as an equal party at any negotiating table — a position the U.S. expressly rejected this week, arguing it would be a propaganda victory for Hamas and legitimize their terrorist tactics.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
MPs back motion to review Speaker’s allegedly 'inappropriate' video address
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Dec 06, 2023 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read
The House of Commons is debating whether to have a committee determine if Speaker Greg Fergus should be punished for a video message he filmed that was played at a political party convention.
OTTAWA — The House of Commons voted late Wednesday to have a committee determine whether Speaker Greg Fergus should be punished for a video message he recorded that was played at a political party convention.

MPs voted unanimously in favour of a motion from Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer to have a parliamentary committee explore whether the Speaker violated Commons conventions that require him to be non-partisan.

Earlier, the House also agreed to require that the committee meet within 24 hours, ensure the issue takes priority over all other business, and report back by Dec. 14 — the day before the House is scheduled to rise for the holidays.

Assistant deputy Speaker Alexandra Mendes presided over Wednesday night’s debate in the House.

It’s the second controversy to involve a Commons Speaker since September, when Anthony Rota was forced to resign after he invited to Parliament a Second World War veteran who fought in a Nazi unit.

Fergus apologized for the video, in which he appeared in his ceremonial robes and thanked the former interim leader of the Ontario Liberals, after it was played at the provincial party’s convention last weekend.

The Speaker has said he was asked to record a video message for an intimate gathering to honour John Fraser, whom he called a longtime friend.

The Quebec MP told other members that he regrets the video was used the way it was, and said acknowledging the career accomplishments of a colleague should not be considered an expression of partisanship.

On Wednesday, Conservative MP James Bezan wrote to the Board of Internal Economy asking it to consider Fergus’s “inappropriate use of House of Commons resources” by recording the video in his office and wearing the Speaker’s robes.

Fergus spent part of the week in Washington, D.C., where he participated in the Canadian Embassy’s annual tree-lighting ceremony.

He also gave a farewell address for Claus Gramckow, who is leaving his post as head of the North America regional office at the Friedrich Naumann Foundation.

During a speech, Fergus spoke about his time as a member of the Young Liberals of Canada, where he met Gramckow in 1994.

NDP House leader Peter Julian called those comments inappropriate.

“When we elect a Speaker, that Speaker in a sense leaves their past behind,” Julian said Wednesday. “You’re a Speaker of the entire House of Commons. So you don’t come from any one party.”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OTTAWA — The House of Commons voted late Wednesday to have a committee determine whether Speaker Greg Fergus should be punished for a video message he recorded that was played at a political party convention.
Liberals ‘gonna Lib. It’s sort of expected at this point. On the sliding scale of “do as I say & not as I do” or Liberal scandals and/or ethical disregard of rules that are for others, etc…but not for the Natural Governing Party…isn’t this on the lower end?
MPs voted unanimously in favour of a motion from Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer to have a parliamentary committee explore whether the Speaker violated Commons conventions that require him to be non-partisan.
Sheer was the 35th Speaker of the House of Commons, so he would be familiar with the rulebook, etc…& though the new guy probably screwed up again, is this more of a distraction or a Liberal “Got Ya” trap to capitalize on the current Speakers complexion for another “You’re all Racists & Misogynists with Unacceptable Views” moment to try to paint the official opposition in a negative light to try and get the liberal popularity out of the toilet with a “Look over There!” moment?
Earlier, the House also agreed to require that the committee meet within 24 hours, ensure the issue takes priority over all other business, and report back by Dec. 14 — the day before the House is scheduled to rise for the holidays.
I’m sure Andrew Sheer isn’t the only MP aware of their own rulebook, so what’s the motivation here by Greg Fergus and the Trudeau Liberals? In the spirit of “Because it’s 2015-ish” and even though the current Speaker isn’t a woman, is he minority enough to be thrown under the bus for minor political gain for Justin Trudeau?
The Quebec MP told other members that he regrets the video was used the way it was, and said acknowledging the career accomplishments of a colleague should not be considered an expression of partisanship.
Whose decision was it to use the video the way it was used? Knowing that would go along ways to understanding the motivation and the direction of the decision to post this video in the manner that it was.

Reactions: petros

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bloc, Tory MPs call for Fergus to resign as Speaker as Liberals accept apology
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Dec 11, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

OTTAWA — House Speaker Greg Fergus apologized to a committee of MPs on Monday for a video he made that was shown at a recent Ontario Liberal Party convention, and said he’s implementing a new communication protocol in his office to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Fergus, whose role as Speaker is non-partisan, has been under scrutiny for recording the video in his office while wearing his ceremonial robes.

“I know I messed up and I won’t do it again,” Fergus said.

All members of Parliament voted unanimously last week to send the issue to the committee on procedure and House affairs, which is set to report back the House of Commons later this week.

The committee scheduled five hours of hearings Monday with witnesses that also include House clerks and John Fraser, the Ontario member of the provincial parliament who was the subject of Fergus’s video.

He served as interim leader of the provincial Liberal party until the election of Bonnie Crombie earlier this month.

Fergus said a member of Fraser’s family contacted him on Nov. 27, asking him to send a video message to commemorate his time as interim leader.

He said he recorded the video on Nov. 30 in his office between meetings, and he did not ask his chief of staff or the House clerk about whether he ought to do so.

The Speaker said he was told it would be shown at a private event on Dec. 1 with members of “Fraser’s team,” and he had no idea it would be played publicly or included in a party convention. He has agreed to provide the committee with copies of related correspondence.

Fraser told reporters that his wife asked Fergus to make the video, which was part of a larger tribute shown at the Dec. 2 event where the Ontario Liberals announced their new leader.

He also said there was no private event held on Dec. 1 and that he thinks there was a miscommunication about the date and the purpose of the video.

In what amounted to a personal tribute, Fergus spoke about his long friendship with Fraser and their work over the years.

But his words were introduced at the event as a tribute from the Speaker of the House of Commons.

Fergus said he recognizes now that he should not have made the video in the first place, and that he did not understand how talking about his past political work could be seen as partisanship.

The committee itself was divided along partisan lines Monday, with the Liberal members defending Fergus and accepting his apology.

Terry Duguid used part of his time to ask Fergus to share his reflections about being the first Black Speaker in Canadian history, while fellow Liberal Sherry Romanado talked about receiving letters of support for Fergus.

MPs from the Conservative party, the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois said the incident has caused them to question Fergus’s judgment. The Bloc and Conservatives have called for him to resign.

“It might be better for you to decide to leave of your own accord, because yes, you made a mistake. It is not a small mistake. It is a grave one,” said Bloc MP Claude DeBellefeuille in French.

She reminded Fergus that his predecessor learned that lesson the hard way.

Anthony Rota resigned in late September after initially resisting calls from opposition MPs for him to step down.

The scandal began when Rota invited a 98-year-old Ukrainian veteran of the Second World War to the House of Commons and honoured him as a “hero” during a visit by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

After the event, it was revealed that the veteran, Yaroslav Hunka, fought with the Nazi unit known as the Waffen-SS Galicia Division.

After Rota’s resignation amid international scrutiny, Fergus was elected Speaker of the House on Oct. 3 and pledged to work to restore respect and decorum to parliamentary debate.

Former Speaker and Conservative MP Andrew Scheer, who joined the committee for Monday’s meeting, said Fergus had a “hyper-partisan” past as an MP and said he seems to still be too close to that partisanship.

“The fundamental rule of being Speaker is also one of the easier rules to follow, and that is, you just don’t do partisan things,” Scheer said.

“If you were a hockey player and you were about to play a game, and you just saw the referee in his uniform giving a pep talk to the locker room of an opposing team, it wouldn’t matter what the context was, would it? You wouldn’t want that official refereeing your game.”

Fergus responded that he thinks it is important to note that as an MP from Quebec, he and Fraser were in “a different league.”

“I also recognize that the member is right,” he said.

Fergus said he’s put in place a protocol to get advice from the House administration on any future communications from his office.

Eric Janse, acting clerk of the House of Commons, told the committee Monday morning that he was not consulted about the video.

“I think my advice would have been to probably not proceed in this manner, or at a minimum to perhaps canvass the parties,” Janse said, adding that he felt “perhaps this was going a bit too far into the partisan sphere.”

Janse said the House administration team is considering whether it should provide more education to Speakers about non-partisanship in the future.

The committee will make recommendations about whether Fergus should be sanctioned for his actions, and it will be up to the House of Commons to determine what happens next.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Food hard to come by for some this Christmas in Freeland's riding

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Dec 20, 2023 • 4 minute read

All these people want for Christmas in Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland’s riding is a hot meal.

T’was the week before Christmas and all through the Avenue Road Food Bank lineup were hungry people in University-Rosedale riding looking to put food on the table for this year’s holiday dinner. It was the last chance to stock up with sustenance at the Church of Messiah’s Wednesday offering of donated supplies.

But not everybody got what they needed.

In fact, if you were not already registered, you may not be able to benefit nor can new people in need coming to the city. Seems the operation does not have enough food to meet the demand.

“The Avenue Road Food Bank can no longer take new registrations. The Food Bank is at capacity,” it said on its website. “Please do not send your friends to the Avenue Road Food Bank. Please direct them to the Daily Bread (Food Bank).

Not exactly inspiring for a country or a city that purport themselves to be some of the greatest places to live in the world. And this is in Finance Minister Freeland’s riding. Imagine how it could be in a riding with a less powerful politician. Sadly, as Canada’s second-in-command acknowledged on CTV Tuesday, things have become such a concern on the cost of feeding families and making rent that the number of people attending this location in her own neighbourhood is increasing as expenses spiral out of control.

It prompted CTV’s Your Morning host Anne-Marie Mediwake to ask her some tough questions.

“Minister, I’m hoping today that we can have a conversation where we get some answers and hear from you personally about how this affordability crisis that we are living in is truly understood,” said Mediwake. “I think Canadians have watched … as grocery CEOs were paraded in and questioned, but my sense is that people are feeling that the Liberals don’t get it, that they aren’t feeling the tough choices that Canadians are making either to their budgets or in the grocery store.

“What example can you share that you can illustrate that you understand the pain and the pinch that Canadians are feeling at the grocery store, when they are doing budgets? How does it look in the Freeland household over the cost-of-living crisis?”

Before we get to Freeland’s answer, a little context.

In addition to inflation being out of control and more than a million immigrants coming into Canada this year amid a housing crisis where people are seeing their mortgage rates skyrocket, Freeland herself has been called out for a number of perceived out-of-touch moments in 2023.

Those included her saying that to cut back on expenses, her family is cancelling their Disney+ subscription. She was called out for having a chauffeur and car service available in Toronto after saying you don’t need a car here. She also stood and smiled in Parliament next to a soldier who served in a Waffen SS unit in Ukraine that was aligned with the Nazis, was caught speeding while in Alberta and was part of the Liberal cabinet retreat where caucus members dined out on lobster, smoked cigars and partied, while Canadians struggled to pay a new carbon tax with some forced to stand in line for food handouts.

So it was a fair question. And here’s how Freeland answered in a slow, methodical way.

“Well, you know, Anne Marie, I think the thing that … in my regular life brings the challenge home the most personally to me is that my church, which is around the corner from my house just up the street from us here, the Church of the Messiah, has a food bank every Wednesday,” said Freeland. “And the lines are getting longer and that is heartbreaking – it’s heartbreaking that we have food banks in Canada and it’s really heartbreaking to see that people really need them.”

She seemed to successfully dodge the question, but it doesn’t help out any of these people in line.

She didn’t offer any solutions on how to make this problem disappear. But she said she’s “grateful to the really amazing people at the Church of the Messiah, who have worked so hard to have a food bank and to support our community and it really kills me that is something we need to do.”

Between immigration, student visas and refugees, Canada is in a situation where more than one million people have come into the country this year. Don’t look now, but as Freeland admits there are going to be more people lining up for grub and those already growing lines are going to get bigger.

Some may live the Canadian dream and live large like Freeland and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau do. Some may end up at in a cold food line at Christmas time.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
“Well, you know, Anne Marie, I think the thing that … in my regular life brings the challenge home the most personally to me is that my church, which is around the corner from my house just up the street from us here, the Church of the Messiah, has a food bank every Wednesday,” said Freeland. “And the lines are getting longer and that is heartbreaking – it’s heartbreaking that we have food banks in Canada and it’s really heartbreaking to see that people really need them.”
Oh…my…God…you know, when you see a picture of Morgan Freeman, above a Written paragraph…& you can read that paragraph, but hear it narrated in his voice? I’ve just experienced that reading the above paragraph but I’m hearing it narrated in my head by Freeland…in her shrill whiny condescending voice, without having to listen to the video. Is that crazy?

“Well, you know Anne Marie, let me be perfectly clear…The church that’s around the corner from my house, it’s not really around the corner from my house, but my chauffeur parks the limousine around the corner from the church and lets me out so it looks like I’m walking to church, and sometimes he takes my bicycle out of the trunk, weather permitting…” & this eventually winds down to, “We’ve decided that eligible Canadians will receive a 13 day subscription for Disney+ spread out into four non-consecutive but quarterly periods annually, and you will have more Disney in your pockets than you’ve paid out for a percentage of all Canadians.”…
She seemed to successfully dodge the question, but it doesn’t help out any of these people in line.
“You don’t say? You know what would help? Another tax! Even better would be another another another Carbon Tax, that will also be taxed with the GST, on every step in the food-chain incrementally increasing the cost at every step before it reaches your dinner plate! For Canadians, because we’ve got your back!!”
She didn’t offer any solutions on how to make this problem disappear. But she said she’s “grateful to the really amazing people at the Church of the Messiah, who have worked so hard to have a food bank and to support our community and it really kills me that is something we need to do.”
So, she’s not completely unaware of that situation, so I guess that’s a good thing?
Between immigration, student visas and refugees, Canada is in a situation where more than one million people have come into the country this year. Don’t look now, but as Freeland admits there are going to be more people lining up for grub and those already growing lines are going to get bigger.
Huh….so Canada had another million immigrants this year compared to America’s 1.6 million…& the USA is 11 times our population? That sounds sustainably sustainable, Liberally speaking.
Some may live the Canadian dream and live large like Freeland and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau do. Some may end up at in a cold food line at Christmas time.
1703234296638.jpeg
1703234331378.jpeg
To convert the above prices from Canadian Pesos to real American Dollars, just divide by 1.35 to compare apples to apples, or bread to bread, or meat to meat, etc…

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has approved RBC's $13.5-billion takeover of HSBC Canada, despite calls from opposition politicians and other groups to block it over concerns of reduced competition. Freeland's approval was the last hurdle for the deal after the Competition Bureau approved it in September.

Surprise, surprise. Good that we have qualified people in place to represent the interests of the nation.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trudeau government to spend nearly $10M to support unemployed youth in Iraq
Ahmed Hussen said the investment supports stability in the region overall and ultimately will help Canada

Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Dec 21, 2023 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

The Canadian government has announced it will spend nearly $10 million to support the “deepening unemployment crisis” among youth in Iraq.

International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen, who made the announcement Wednesday at St. Clair College in Windsor, said the investment supports stability in the region overall and ultimately will help Canada.

“Our biggest focus in our Middle East strategy is Iraq … and the way Iraq goes is the way the rest of the region will go,” Hussen said, CBC News reported.

The announcement was made in Windsor due to its large Iraqi community, according to Windsor-Tecumseh Liberal MP Irek Kusmierczyk, along with the college’s efforts as a leader in education and the city’s role in international trade.

Hussen said the $9.9 million in funding will help pay for vocational and technical training for five years through a partnership with two groups, the World University Service of Canada and the Canadian Leaders in International Consulting. Both organizations have offices in Ottawa.

The Trudeau Liberals have spent $4.7 billion on their Middle East action plan, tackling extremism but also building “post-conflict strategies,” Hussen said.

“Right now, for example, Iraqi youth are suffering from deepening unemployment crisis that undermines the economic security and this is directly linked to the previous conflict in Iraq.”

Tania Jordan, the deputy director of program management and operations with the World University Service of Canada, said that about 700,000 youth enter Iraq’s employment market every year, but finding good jobs is a challenge.

“The national youth unemployment rate is three time that of adults and worse for young women, who face extra challenges due to their gender,” she told CBC.

“There’s still much more that training institutions and employers can do to ensure young people can reach their full potential and with our partners, we want to help them get there.”

Social media reaction to the funding announcement was met with concerns for youth employment here in Canada.

“What in the actual holy hell is this????” one person asked on X. “Canadian taxpayers are supporting everyone in the world except Canadians. While food banks are feeding Canadian families, these traitors are giving our money to other countries like there’s no tomorrow. This is treason.”

Another commented, “Canadians (those fortunate enough to have decent jobs) work their asses off & send half their earnings to Ottawa so they can … give it away to Iraqis? We need to focus on Canadian youth, not foreign students and not those who have no connection at all to this country. What a mess!”

In another reply, a user posted, “That’s the Iraqi government’s problem, not the Canadian taxpayers’ problem.”

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau government to spend nearly $10M to support unemployed youth in Iraq
Ahmed Hussen said the investment supports stability in the region overall and ultimately will help Canada

Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Dec 21, 2023 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

The Canadian government has announced it will spend nearly $10 million to support the “deepening unemployment crisis” among youth in Iraq.

International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen, who made the announcement Wednesday at St. Clair College in Windsor, said the investment supports stability in the region overall and ultimately will help Canada.

“Our biggest focus in our Middle East strategy is Iraq … and the way Iraq goes is the way the rest of the region will go,” Hussen said, CBC News reported.

The announcement was made in Windsor due to its large Iraqi community, according to Windsor-Tecumseh Liberal MP Irek Kusmierczyk, along with the college’s efforts as a leader in education and the city’s role in international trade.

Hussen said the $9.9 million in funding will help pay for vocational and technical training for five years through a partnership with two groups, the World University Service of Canada and the Canadian Leaders in International Consulting. Both organizations have offices in Ottawa.

The Trudeau Liberals have spent $4.7 billion on their Middle East action plan, tackling extremism but also building “post-conflict strategies,” Hussen said.

“Right now, for example, Iraqi youth are suffering from deepening unemployment crisis that undermines the economic security and this is directly linked to the previous conflict in Iraq.”

Tania Jordan, the deputy director of program management and operations with the World University Service of Canada, said that about 700,000 youth enter Iraq’s employment market every year, but finding good jobs is a challenge.

“The national youth unemployment rate is three time that of adults and worse for young women, who face extra challenges due to their gender,” she told CBC.

“There’s still much more that training institutions and employers can do to ensure young people can reach their full potential and with our partners, we want to help them get there.”

Social media reaction to the funding announcement was met with concerns for youth employment here in Canada.

“What in the actual holy hell is this????” one person asked on X. “Canadian taxpayers are supporting everyone in the world except Canadians. While food banks are feeding Canadian families, these traitors are giving our money to other countries like there’s no tomorrow. This is treason.”

Another commented, “Canadians (those fortunate enough to have decent jobs) work their asses off & send half their earnings to Ottawa so they can … give it away to Iraqis? We need to focus on Canadian youth, not foreign students and not those who have no connection at all to this country. What a mess!”

In another reply, a user posted, “That’s the Iraqi government’s problem, not the Canadian taxpayers’ problem.”
WTF?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada desperately needs to get rid of the economically disastrous, environmentally cultish, unity destroying, smarmy Trudeau Liberals.

We know our per capita GDP is declining because the Liberals are imposing anti-growth economic policies at the same time as they are pumping up our population at historic rates.

The Trudeau administration has also scared away so much investment – foreign and domestic – that the amount of capital per worker available for business has not been lower since the Depression. Capital investment was solid under the Harper Conservatives, but it has been declining since Trudeau took over in 2015 with his wokeism and eco-obsession.

The decline (which has accelerated in the last two years under high inflation and high interest) has a profound impact on the economies capacity to create new jobs. Think about that: On the one hand, Trudeau is depressing job growth, while on the other hand he is doubling immigration.

The Liberals have a $100-million agenda to impose electric vehicles on Canadian consumers, at a time when they are slowing the economy (and the ability to generate government revenues to pay for its scheme).

And while it may not be obvious in central Canada, it is plain in the West that Trudeau not only doesn’t care about national unity, he is actively engaged in alienating the region with Canada’s fastest-growing economy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Canada desperately needs to get rid of the economically disastrous, environmentally cultish, unity destroying, smarmy Trudeau Liberals.

We know our per capita GDP is declining because the Liberals are imposing anti-growth economic policies at the same time as they are pumping up our population at historic rates.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2022 was $54,966, a 4.98% increase from 2021.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2021 was $52,359, a 20.78% increase from 2020.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2020 was $43,350, a 6.52% decline from 2019.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2019 was $46,374, a 0.37% decline from 2018.
Source

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2022 was $54,966, a 4.98% increase from 2021.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2021 was $52,359, a 20.78% increase from 2020.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2020 was $43,350, a 6.52% decline from 2019.
  • Canada gdp per capita for 2019 was $46,374, a 0.37% decline from 2018.
Source

Shh... facts don't matter when feefees are involved.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Just like law, economics isnt one of your strengths​

What is Behind Canada’s Growth Crisis?​

— Published on July 11, 2023

Weak growth in Canada has persisted for a decade, with per capita real gross domestic product posting its smallest gain in nearly a century. Canada’s economy has grown significantly slower than that of the United States, suggesting that the origins of Canada’s growth crisis are domestic. Moreover, slower growth in Canada has originated mostly in declining business investment and exports, the sectors of the economy that embed innovative technologies and reflect the competitiveness of Canadian businesses.

This paper looks at the broad reasons for the loss of dynamism in the Canadian economy, focusing on the erosion of the values that cultivate innovation and entrepreneurship. It begins with a reminder of the benefits of economic growth and how novel sustained growth is to the modern world. Growth is neither automatic nor well understood by economists, despite widespread claims that sustaining growth is easy to achieve by adopting a few simplistic policies. Canada cannot rectify its poor record on growth by continuing its exclusive focus on such formulaic policy making. Canada has adopted many of the policies economists recommend to boost growth, including high levels of immigration and education, lavish government support for research and development, and free trade deals with all the G7 nations, but slow growth has become more entrenched.

As growth has decelerated, governments in Canada have fixated on the distribution, rather than the creation, of income and on stabilizing the short-term course of the economy, rather than raising its long-term potential. Such a focus has reinforced the downward pressure on growth. In particular, policies such as more government spending and relentless monetary stimulus provide at best a short-time fillip to growth, but depress long-term potential, especially through their negative impact on business investment.

Recent research, however, stresses the importance of a nation’s culture to economic growth. Without a culture that supports entrepreneurship and innovation, even the best policies and institutions will produce disappointing results. Canadians need to dispense with the mindset that, in the words of a leading commentator, “in Canada, if you run a successful business, you are made to feel you have done something wrong.”

Raising growth requires a resurrection of Canadians’ faith in the ability of Canada’s businesses to compete in the global marketplace without constant government guidance and intervention. In the absence of such a revival, Canada will be condemned to the stagnation seen in recent decades in Japan and much of western Europe. Canadians need to be reminded by their business and political leaders of the necessity of restoring higher economic growth if we want to pursue a wide range of economic and social goals and restore Canada’s standing on the global stage.

There remain reasons to be optimistic that Canada can regain its ability to grow faster. Culture changes only slowly, and Canada showed for much of the past century that it possessed the values which incubate business dynamism. Canada has avoided the populist trap of calls for more protectionism, at least in its trade dealings with other countries, if not trade between provinces. Canada’s borders remain open to large inflows of immigrants, who necessarily have a heightened taste for risk. More broadly, innovative cultures have shown they can rebound from severe setbacks, such as Europe’s recovery from the devastation of two world wars and the 1930s depression because its human capital and culture remained intact even as much of its physical capital was destroyed. Canada needs its leaders to change the way they talk about and interact with business, especially our dwindling number of successful firms.

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury