Two years into the Trudeau 2.0 Minority Term, which day will Justin call the election that only he wants?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Enough already. Make it law, Justin.

You know: a law ensuring that abortion is always available to Canadian women.

He can do that. But he won’t, because abortion is useful to keep around, as a political wedge. A wedge between the Trudeau Liberals and the Pierre Poilievre Conservatives.

But — you can almost set your watch by this sophistry — the Trudeau Liberals are behind the Conservatives in the polls. So they’ve trotted out the abortion issue. Again. Tweets, videos, you name it. Team Trudeau want everyone to know they favour choice, and the Poilievre gang don’t.

Sigh. Okay. Isn’t it settled, in Canada? That abortion is legal, forever and ever?
If by “legal” you mean protected by statute, or the Constitution, or an unambiguous ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada, no, it isn’t.

We don’t actually have a law protecting abortion in Canada. We have, instead, the absence of a law prohibiting it.

We used to prohibit it. It used to be a crime, in fact. It was right there in section 251 of the Criminal Code of Canada. Back then, you could only get an abortion if you had the approval of something called a Therapeutic Abortion Committee. In a hospital.

So, Dr. Henry Morgantaler and a couple of other doctors decided to offer abortions without the approval of a Therapeutic Abortion Committee. Which was a crime.

They did it deliberately, to give them standing to challenge the anti-abortion law. Which they proceeded to do.

All cards on the table: this writer is strongly, unreservedly in favour of abortion. I’ve proudly taken women to get abortions, and I worked with Morgantaler around the time of the 2000 federal election.

His legal challenge was the right thing to do, and it worked. In 1988, Canada’s highest court struck down the country’s abortion law.

Siding with the majority, Justice Bertha Wilson wrote: “The decision whether to terminate a pregnancy is essentially a moral decision, a matter of conscience. I do not think there is or can be any dispute about that. The question is: whose conscience? Is the conscience of the woman to be paramount or the conscience of the state? I believe, for the reasons I gave in discussing the right to liberty, that in a free and democratic society it must be the conscience of the individual.”

That was important, obviously. A woman’s body belongs to her, not the government. But there was one other important part of the Morgantaler decision.

The Supreme Court’s majority also said this: “It is possible that a future enactment by Parliament … could achieve a proportionality which would be acceptable.”

See that? They emphasized the point, too: a law about abortion would be “a proper exercise of Parliament’s criminal law power.”

Acceptable. Proper.

So, where has Parliament been in the intervening decades? Why haven’t they passed an acceptable and proper new law, as no less than the highest court in the land invited them to do?

Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, Stephen Harper and — now — the aforementioned Justin Trudeau: all of them presided over Parliamentary majorities. Any one of them could have passed a new law. They had the explicit permission of the Supremes to do so.

They didn’t, of course. Chretien was my boss, he was smart, and he didn’t want to reopen a debate that would be divisive and dangerous.

“We have had social peace on the question of abortion,” Chretien said in 2000, opposing Stockwell Day’s stated willingness to criminalize the practice.

And so, that’s how things remained in the years that followed. Abortion, while not specifically legalized, wasn’t illegal anymore, either.

And yes, idiots in various political parties would periodically try and reopen the abortion debate with a Private Member’s’ Bill or a petition or whatever. But Messrs. Chretien, Martin and Harper would just shut them down. Sometimes, they’d even boot the troublemaker out of caucus, or eliminate them as election candidates.

Now, let Justin be really really clear, or both of them be really really really really clear I guess:

So, you ask, why is Justin Trudeau trying to scare people about abortion again, when he is the guy — he, him — who can ensure that it is never challenged again by passing a Charter-proofed law?

Because he cares more about votes than making abortion completely legal once and for all, that’s why.
1684073017926.png
It’s cynical, it’s dishonest, it’s disgusting. It’s classic Justin Trudeau, in other words.

Enough already.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Enough already. Make it law, Justin.

You know: a law ensuring that abortion is always available to Canadian women.

He can do that. But he won’t, because abortion is useful to keep around, as a political wedge. A wedge between the Trudeau Liberals and the Pierre Poilievre Conservatives.

But — you can almost set your watch by this sophistry — the Trudeau Liberals are behind the Conservatives in the polls. So they’ve trotted out the abortion issue. Again. Tweets, videos, you name it. Team Trudeau want everyone to know they favour choice, and the Poilievre gang don’t.

Sigh. Okay. Isn’t it settled, in Canada? That abortion is legal, forever and ever?
If by “legal” you mean protected by statute, or the Constitution, or an unambiguous ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada, no, it isn’t.

We don’t actually have a law protecting abortion in Canada. We have, instead, the absence of a law prohibiting it.

We used to prohibit it. It used to be a crime, in fact. It was right there in section 251 of the Criminal Code of Canada. Back then, you could only get an abortion if you had the approval of something called a Therapeutic Abortion Committee. In a hospital.

So, Dr. Henry Morgantaler and a couple of other doctors decided to offer abortions without the approval of a Therapeutic Abortion Committee. Which was a crime.

They did it deliberately, to give them standing to challenge the anti-abortion law. Which they proceeded to do.

All cards on the table: this writer is strongly, unreservedly in favour of abortion. I’ve proudly taken women to get abortions, and I worked with Morgantaler around the time of the 2000 federal election.

His legal challenge was the right thing to do, and it worked. In 1988, Canada’s highest court struck down the country’s abortion law.

Siding with the majority, Justice Bertha Wilson wrote: “The decision whether to terminate a pregnancy is essentially a moral decision, a matter of conscience. I do not think there is or can be any dispute about that. The question is: whose conscience? Is the conscience of the woman to be paramount or the conscience of the state? I believe, for the reasons I gave in discussing the right to liberty, that in a free and democratic society it must be the conscience of the individual.”

That was important, obviously. A woman’s body belongs to her, not the government. But there was one other important part of the Morgantaler decision.

The Supreme Court’s majority also said this: “It is possible that a future enactment by Parliament … could achieve a proportionality which would be acceptable.”

See that? They emphasized the point, too: a law about abortion would be “a proper exercise of Parliament’s criminal law power.”

Acceptable. Proper.

So, where has Parliament been in the intervening decades? Why haven’t they passed an acceptable and proper new law, as no less than the highest court in the land invited them to do?

Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, Stephen Harper and — now — the aforementioned Justin Trudeau: all of them presided over Parliamentary majorities. Any one of them could have passed a new law. They had the explicit permission of the Supremes to do so.

They didn’t, of course. Chretien was my boss, he was smart, and he didn’t want to reopen a debate that would be divisive and dangerous.

“We have had social peace on the question of abortion,” Chretien said in 2000, opposing Stockwell Day’s stated willingness to criminalize the practice.

And so, that’s how things remained in the years that followed. Abortion, while not specifically legalized, wasn’t illegal anymore, either.

And yes, idiots in various political parties would periodically try and reopen the abortion debate with a Private Member’s’ Bill or a petition or whatever. But Messrs. Chretien, Martin and Harper would just shut them down. Sometimes, they’d even boot the troublemaker out of caucus, or eliminate them as election candidates.

Now, let Justin be really really clear, or both of them be really really really really clear I guess:

So, you ask, why is Justin Trudeau trying to scare people about abortion again, when he is the guy — he, him — who can ensure that it is never challenged again by passing a Charter-proofed law?

Because he cares more about votes than making abortion completely legal once and for all, that’s why.
View attachment 18193
It’s cynical, it’s dishonest, it’s disgusting. It’s classic Justin Trudeau, in other words.

Enough already.
And those are Nanos numbers that skew liberal .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You don’t need a pollster to tell you the popularity of Justin Trudeau’s government is plunging to new depths.

You can smell the Liberals’ fear of losing the next election in the social media posts of high-profile cabinet ministers.

They raise, once again, fears that a Conservative government under Pierre Poilievre would limit the right of women to abortion.
Saskatchewan Conservative MP Cathay Wagantall has brought forward a private member’s bill that would require judges in their sentencing to consider the physical or mental harm a crime may have caused to a pregnant woman.

While that may seem a fairly innocuous proposal, especially since private member’s bills rarely become law, it’s been interpreted by some pro-abortion groups as a measure that would limit the rights of a woman to terminate a pregnancy.

Wagantall, who’s anti-abortion, says that’s not the motivation behind her bill.

“It is focused on pregnant women being attacked by a third party who wants to cause injury or death to that individual,” she said.

Abortion advocates oppose it on the grounds that it grants rights to a fetus in the case of violent crimes, something that doesn’t happen now.

Women’s Minister Marci Ien jumped on it, suggesting it was a sneaky way to limit abortions.

“We’re not a government that will trick people into places that would limit the access to women across our great country to get an abortion,” she said.

That’s a stretch. If we can’t have a discussion in Parliament about pregnant women without raising the old anti-abortion, straw-man argument, then it shows how desperate the Liberals are.

The rest at the above link…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nope. Only decriminalization. Its not a Right in any way, shape or form.
If Trudeau were sincere in his beliefs, he would enshrine the right to abortion in law. There’s no law protecting a woman’s right to an abortion, just no law prohibiting it. The Liberals could have changed that by now, but choose not to.

That said, Poilievre would be wise to follow the path to victory that his successful predecessor, former Prime Minister Stephen Harper, mapped out. Canadians are not interested in social conservatism and politicians meddling in their private lives. They care about good government, fiscal conservatism and smart management.

Liberals know that. That’s why they keep raising abortion as a wedge issue. It’s a cynical ploy and it’s wearing thin.
You need a 600-fathom sounding line.
It’s….blatant. At least out here where I sit on the Canadian Prairie… but it always has been, I guess. Time will tell.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
From my foreign, relatively-ignorant point of view, he started well. Lots of HOPE.

His shortcomings in honesty and intellect started small, but snowballed remarkably. Ditto his ineptitude at negociation and consensus-building.

Then Covid broke it all open. Even our inept handling of it appeared skillful and consistent by comparison.

Kinda sad. Just about any of your grey, unremarkable, forgettable PMs, and just about any of our equally dismal Presidents coulda done better in their sleep.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From my foreign, relatively-ignorant point of view, he started well. Lots of HOPE.

His shortcomings in honesty and intellect started small, but snowballed remarkably. Ditto his ineptitude at negociation and consensus-building.

Then Covid broke it all open. Even our inept handling of it appeared skillful and consistent by comparison.

Kinda sad. Just about any of your grey, unremarkable, forgettable PMs, and just about any of our equally dismal Presidents coulda done better in their sleep.
From the inside looking out, though from Western Canada (yeah Westernesse, etc…), Trudeau’s shortcomings where really obvious when he was still just an MP (not the PM) with one of the worst attendance records in Parliament of any MP…& he was an absentee representative even then, riding on his Fathers name. He wasn’t there to represent anyone by not being there barely at all. It was a preview of what was to come.

In 2013, Justin had the fourth worst attendance record in Parliament, so they made him the Liberal Party Leader, because of his father’s name.

The last eight years have been like a slow motion accident happening that you can’t turn your eyes away from….& yet somehow he was re-elected…twice. Still blows me away. Our current Prime Minister does little that surprises me anymore….& I’m just waiting for the accident to come to a standstill instead of the continual crunching…. So that we can assess the damage. It’s been absolutely brutal.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Trudeau were sincere in his beliefs, he would enshrine the right to abortion in law. There’s no law protecting a woman’s right to an abortion, just no law prohibiting it. The Liberals could have changed that by now, but choose not to.
It's not a Right, it just legal. It's not even "on demand". Practitioners aren't obligated to perform one so there can be scrounging involved to get one arranged even in urban settings.....unless it's for a native.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
From the inside looking out, though from Western Canada (yeah Westernesse, etc…), Trudeau’s shortcomings where really obvious when he was still just an MP (not the PM) with one of the worst attendance records in Parliament of any MP…& he was an absentee representative even then, riding on his Fathers name. He wasn’t there to represent anyone by not being there barely at all. It was a preview of what was to come.

In 2013, Justin had the fourth worst attendance record in Parliament, so they made him the Liberal Party Leader, because of his father’s name.

The last eight years have been like a slow motion accident happening that you can’t turn your eyes away from….& yet somehow he was re-elected…twice. Still blows me away. Our current Prime Minister does little that surprises me anymore….& I’m just waiting for the accident to come to a standstill instead of the continual crunching…. So that we can assess the damage. It’s been absolutely brutal.
Being PM got him off the coke and molly which saved him from being an asshole father but he still gets messed up on elitist accepted weed and wine. You can see it. He gets "coke cranky". People that quit yayo and molly have short fuses.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's not a Right, it just legal. It's not even "on demand". Practitioners aren't obligated to perform one so there can be scrounging involved to get one arranged even in urban settings.....unless it's for a native.
Pretty quick, some bright spark'd say that any law y'all passed guaranteeing the right to abortion shows that abortion is subject to legislation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Won't happen. Immigration is the worst thing to happen to pro-death activism.

The more things change, they more they stay they same.

Example

Quebec...

Some key numbers: In 2021, 4.8 million Quebecers (54 per cent of the population) declared themselves Catholic, compared with 5.8 million (75 per cent) in 2011. There are now 421,710 Muslims in the province, up from 243,430 a decade ago, a 73-per-cent jump. The number of Hindus and Sikhs also grew.Oct 27, 2022

https://montrealgazette.com › news

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thats not a problem for Elections Canada. Its the short notice they get to find space for polling stations. If they had a few months rather than 6 weeks to set up shop and hire poll workers theyd be golden. Allow voting with the Canada.ca logins we already use to file taxes, deal with EI, passport and so forth. Open it for one week. Keep the 3 days of advance poll that include a Saturday the weekend before but make election days mandatory the following Monday when facilities generally sit empty.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Not in Canada. Could try but poll stations are so small (a single medium size high rise apartment block or a sq 1/4 mile of houses) the books will be waaaaay off and easy to pick out who and when.
let's hope so, but with media complicit conspirators, they can pull it off while sitting on the truth.

almost everything that's been claimed "can't happen here" has happened or is happening, or no doubt, will happen.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
let's hope so, but with media complicit conspirators, they can pull it off while sitting on the truth.

almost everything that's been claimed "can't happen here" has happened or is happening, or no doubt, will happen.
How can they pull it off when a polling station is 600 or less voters on a hand filled paper ballot?