Chemin Roxham: asylum seekers sent en masse to Ontario (translated from the french)

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

The site is automatically changed into english when you click on the link.

Asylum seekers entering the country via Roxham Road in Quebec are now largely transported outside the province, including to Ontario, according to Quebec Immigration Minister Christine Fréchette. At least that's what happened last weekend.

However, it is too early to say whether this approach will be maintained by the federal government, again according to the minister.On attend d’avoir une confirmation

"I have no information as to what happened [Monday], but we expect this new approach to continue and ensure that all future asylum seekers are redirected to other provinces, because Quebec's reception capacity is exceeded."

Well. Can open, worms everywhere :)

I wonder if those on the board who were soooo vocal about how utterly inhumane transporting border crossers in the states was will be condemning the people and gov't of quebec as the same sort of unhuman monster :) LOL - i suspect not

In any case, i doubt very much the other provinces will be excited about this and i doubt the feds will be happy with the idea that its ok for provinces to just out and out refuse immigrants to stay there. We'll see what happens.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly i don't know why that isn't the answer. They cross there because they exploit a loophole in our laws not crossing at an 'official' crossing. So put an official crossing there.

I suppose the argument is that they'll just find somewhere else
That is the crux & reason for the Roxham Road crossing’s existence. It’s the rule with the loophole & not the physical location that’s the problem.

In order to avoid the effects of the agreement, any refugees presenting at a border crossing would be automatically turned back to the United States under the STCA provisions.
So put a fucking immigration center on Roxham!

Idiots.
Putting an immigration center at Roxham Road (don’t think there’s not one there already, but it’s just not an “official” one) will create a new illegal crossing spot 200’ to the left of the official one.

As it is not illegal under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or its associated regulations to cross the border outside of a port of entry as long as the person presents themselves to a Canada Border Services Agency officer without delay and STCA does not apply to claims outside of a port of entry, it is possible for persons otherwise ineligible to make a claim after crossing irregularly.
1676552158984.jpeg
1676552200184.jpeg
1676552236594.jpeg
1676552271153.jpeg
1676552300760.jpeg
1676552331588.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CBSA is at Roxham and not everyone gets in. They do indeed turn people away who dont meet asylum criteria.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ontario cities see surge in demand for services as Quebec migrants transferred west
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Jacob Serebrin
Published Feb 17, 2023 • Last updated 21 hours ago • 4 minute read

MONTREAL — Some Ontario communities that have seen a surge in arrivals of asylum seekers say they have been caught off guard by the numbers of migrants the federal government is sending from Quebec.

A community group in Ontario’s Niagara region says it was already dealing with a tripling of requests for assistance from asylum seekers before Ottawa recently began increasing transfers from Quebec. Quebec has said it is unable to absorb the numbers of people arriving at the unofficial Roxham Road border crossing on its southern border.

Deanna D’Elia, the general manager of employment and immigrant services at the YMCA of Niagara, said her organization provides language assessments and helps new arrivals register their children in school and access other community resources. It began seeing a rise in demand around seven months ago.

“It was an unexpected surge. It’s hundreds in Niagara right now,” she said.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada says it began transferring migrants arriving in Quebec to Ontario in July as Quebec’s shelter system — and hotels rented by IRCC — reached capacity.

Since the weekend, the transfers have increased. Quebec’s immigration minister said this week that of the 505 migrants who entered the country through Roxham Road on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 475 had been transferred to other provinces.

Adrienne Jugley, commissioner of community services with the Regional Municipality of Niagara, said the number of asylum seekers staying in local hotels rented by the federal government increased progressively toward the end of the year. Before Christmas, IRCC was renting more than 600 rooms in the region, she said, and last weekend she was notified that the federal agency plans to increase that to more than 1,500 rooms “imminently.”

That “dramatic increase … has certainly raised our concerns about our local resources’ ability to respond,” she said in an interview Thursday.

Jugley, who believes Niagara Falls was selected because it has a large number of hotels, said her biggest concern is where people will stay once they leave the federally funded hotels, as her region lacks affordable housing.

“We want to support these people. We want them to settle in and be safe. How do we do that? And where do we do that?” she said

IRCC said that since it began transferring asylum claimants entering Quebec to the Ontario cities of Ottawa, Windsor, Cornwall and Niagara Falls in July, 5,557 claimants have been moved to the province.

Cornwall Mayor Justin Towndale, said there has been a lack of communication between the federal government and municipalities.

He said he was “flabbergasted” when he received numbers from IRCC for the first time this week indicating how many migrants had already been transferred to his city. He said 779 asylum seekers are in Cornwall, and the town has seen a total of 1,396 claimants since August.

“I was expecting maybe a couple hundred and to see that high number, and to get a report saying that another bus is arriving soon, but they don’t tell us when it’s coming or if it’s full … that is a lot of people,” he said in an interview Friday.

With a population of about 50,000, Cornwall has limited resources to begin with, Towndale said, so having to administer the provincial programs available to asylum seekers has increased the workload and added an economic strain. He said local organizations and charities have also felt the pressure as demand has grown for social services like food banks.

IRCC spokeswoman Isabelle Dubois acknowledged the strain on resources in Quebec and Ontario and said in an email that the department is working with other provinces and municipalities “to identify new destinations that have the capacity to accommodate asylum seekers.”

Federal government statistics show that 39,171 asylum seekers were intercepted by the RCMP on Quebec’s southern border in 2022, up from 4,095 in 2021. They accounted for more than 99 per cent of all asylum seekers who crossed the Canadian border irregularly in 2022. In total, around 60 per cent of all people claiming asylum in Canada in 2022 arrived through Quebec.

The Quebec government has repeatedly called for the federal government to close the Roxham Road crossing, saying it doesn’t have the capacity to accept more migrants.

In Montreal, Jean-Sebastien Patrice, the executive director of community food service MultiCaf, said the demand to help asylum seekers remains high.

Patrice said more than 700 asylum seekers are registered to receive services from his organization, up from 62 three years ago. The increase comes at a time when he’s also seeing increased demand for his services from people struggling to keep up with inflation.

“We have a combined tsunami from the wave of asylum seekers and the continuing inflation,” he said in an interview Thursday.

Patrice said he thinks transferring asylum seekers who want to go elsewhere to other provinces could allow organizations like his to provide a higher level of assistance to those who remain, but that has to be accompanied by additional funding.

“It’s easy to say that people fleeing difficult situations around the world are welcome here, but … a structure has to be in place to accompany these words,” he said.

— With files from Marisela Amador

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
So now that OntariOWE is being impacted by a problem created by Ottawa, maybe there will be a shift in immigration policy.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That is the crux & reason for the Roxham Road crossing’s existence. It’s the rule with the loophole & not the physical location that’s the problem.

In order to avoid the effects of the agreement, any refugees presenting at a border crossing would be automatically turned back to the United States under the STCA provisions.

Putting an immigration center at Roxham Road (don’t think there’s not one there already, but it’s just not an “official” one) will create a new illegal crossing spot 200’ to the left of the official one.

As it is not illegal under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or its associated regulations to cross the border outside of a port of entry as long as the person presents themselves to a Canada Border Services Agency officer without delay and STCA does not apply to claims outside of a port of entry, it is possible for persons otherwise ineligible to make a claim after crossing irregularly.
View attachment 17366
View attachment 17367
View attachment 17368
View attachment 17369
View attachment 17370
View attachment 17371
And I'm sure a background check has been done on all of them, right?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Which would indicate the liberal government is terrified of farmers with guns, but not worried about foreign criminals with guns entering the country. Must be the trauma from seeing a bouncy castle in Ottawa.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Which would indicate the liberal government is terrified of farmers with guns, but not worried about foreign criminals with guns entering the country. Must be the trauma from seeing a bouncy castle in Ottawa.
He and his government thought that they were facing a mass of gun toting insurrectionists attempting to overthrow the government . They attempted to create a riot when the cops in riot gear horses and bean bag guns and didn’t get a bite . It was the most pitiful act by an acting government in my memory . Worse than pepper I put pepper on my steak .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He and his government thought that they were facing a mass of gun toting insurrectionists attempting to overthrow the government . They attempted to create a riot when the cops in riot gear horses and bean bag guns and didn’t get a bite . It was the most pitiful act by an acting government in my memory . Worse than pepper I put pepper on my steak .
That was after he tried the hide under a rock approach to hope it all went away. That might of worked had he not made inflammatory statements right before he went into hiding.

Reactions: Taxslave2