Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting I didn't know you learned metric in school, didn't come in here until the 80's
We were being taught metric and imperial side-by-side in the mid to late 70s when I was in school… because all of our textbooks where in imperial, but metric had already been brought in.

Canada made its first formal switch from imperial to metric units on April 1, 1975. That was the first day weather reports gave temperatures in degrees Celsius, rather than Fahrenheit. Many did not take kindly to the change.

April 1st, 1975, was unseasonably cool, with 100 per cent chance of complaints owing to the rare gust of bureaucratic change.

On his 6 p.m. broadcast the day Fahrenheit died, CBC weatherman Bill Lawrence informed a somewhat confused and cantankerous public that it was 1 degree Celsius. Then someone threw a pie in his face. https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/03/29/forty-years-ago-celsius-came-to-canada-its-reception-brrrrrrrrr.html
Now on April 1st each year we just get this:
1676166348823.jpeg

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Temperatures are the measures I know both best on. I can pretty much translate the temps in my head without having to use the formula. That is because it came in when I was in elementary school and I learned it side by side. Every other one I use one or the other based on the situation but don't really translate between the 2 too much.

My dad still gets stressed if the topic of metric comes up. He also gets stressed if either Trudeau is brought up but mores Pierre.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Interesting I didn't know you learned metric in school, didn't come in here until the 80'sStill can’t find anyone that speaks metric. Even the k
We were being taught metric and imperial side-by-side in the mid to late 70s when I was in school… because all of our textbooks where in imperial, but metric had already been brought in.

Canada made its first formal switch from imperial to metric units on April 1, 1975. That was the first day weather reports gave temperatures in degrees Celsius, rather than Fahrenheit. Many did not take kindly to the change.

April 1st, 1975, was unseasonably cool, with 100 per cent chance of complaints owing to the rare gust of bureaucratic change.

On his 6 p.m. broadcast the day Fahrenheit died, CBC weatherman Bill Lawrence informed a somewhat confused and cantankerous public that it was 1 degree Celsius. Then someone threw a pie in his face. https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/03/29/forty-years-ago-celsius-came-to-canada-its-reception-brrrrrrrrr.html
Now on April 1st each year we just get this:
View attachment 17275
And here we are, nearly half a century later and still have to have two sets of tools to work on equipment. Almost all residential construction is in imperial, but all the civil work is in metric. We sell logs by the cubic meter, but buy lumber by the board foot.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
And here we are, nearly half a century later and still have to have two sets of tools to work on equipment. Almost all residential construction is in imperial, but all the civil work is in metric. We sell logs by the cubic meter, but buy lumber by the board foot.
And I am 5,10 and 160 pounds . Imagine that .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You guys are complaining about the tip of the iceberg.What you fail to realize is our ENTIRE system of language and measure is utterly screwed up. Anyone coming here from another planet would be utterly stunned that we manage to get through the day with the way we look at things

"Apartments" are what we call places that are all attached We call them buildings but f they're done shouldn't they be called builts? The word "abbreviated" meaning a short form of a word has like 6 syllables. And the sign may SAY 'Drive Thru Window" but just try it - i'm here to tell you the whining is off the charts and somehow it's all YOUR fault.

Then there's the british, who went metric but still use the 'pound' as their currency, when they're not paying in tuppennies or hapennys or some shit and measuring weights in "stone". Remember that imperial was actually considered a step up from what they had.

Then there's the japanese where their written Kanji language characters can have 15 different meanings depending on how you want to read it and even they can't figure out which is which, and its like "well this means "honour' if you read it this way but this chracacter can also mean.. " Bitch, i just want to buy some milk, what the hell does this say is in this container?

The whole thing is insane, It's amazing that as a species we can get our pants on in the morning.